Lost...found LoVE & Nick Drake on Granada TV?!!

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Lost...found LoVE & Nick Drake on Granada TV?!!

Post by jamestkirk »

Well, not quite found...but remembered? My own fancy wandering below...

This kindly shared here...from missing episodes.proboards.com

On Nick Drake and Love appearing on Granada TV on the same episode! 1970!

Hello, this is the first time I’ve posted on the forum (missing episodes.proboards.com). I thought some of you might be interested in the following item I found in the 11th-25th April 1970 edition of the North West version of ‘Time Out’ magazine:

“Octopus. A programme on Granada TV about new developments, be they in music and the arts, scientific research or literally anything that’s happening today. Octopus goes out at 6.05 every Wednesday and is presented by Andrew Fisher, who used to co-edit OZ magazine amongst many other things. The programme has been running since January and Granada say that it might be extended.
Considering that the show is relatively new and that its length is only 25 minutes some really nice people have been on – Bruce Beresford (of the British Film Institute), Harvey Matusow (large musician and computer-abolitionist), Buckminster Fuller, Nick Drake, Angelo Quatrocchi and groups like Love, Taste, and Quintessence to name a few. All this plus synthesisers, mobiles, inflatables and a galaxy of other wonders. Ron Geesin appears on 15 April while on the 22nd April that excellent rock group Mighty Baby. Future plans include John and Yoko, Caroline Coon, Bridget St John and a feature on communes in Britain.
All the credit for these goodies must go to the Octopus team of Andrew Fisher and Sue Woodford, who have demonstrated that TV can be used as a communicator of ideas and energy and not just as a means of selling detergents. He is also fortunate in having aware producers and directors around him. With the exception of World in Action (which has a lot more money to spend) Octopus is certainly the best programme on Granada. The day might come when we see Granada do a midnight show as John Peel did so effectively on radio.
As a way of helping to promote the North West, on 29 April, Andrew will be presenting several local groups on Octopus. He hasn’t heard them all and so if you play in/manage a group and would like to be considered for this programme, then write (don’t telephone) giving full details to Andrew Fisher, Octopus, Granada TV, Manchester 3. “

I’d like to see footage of any of the guests mentioned in the article, but I’m particularly intrigued by the Nick Drake appearance, because no performance footage of him is known to exist. It’s possible that Nick Drake experts know all about his ‘Octopus’ appearance already, but I did an internet search and came to the conclusion that this information isn’t widely known about. I think that the only person who has written online about a Nick Drake TV performance is Steve Diggle (presumably not the Buzzcocks guitarist) on the NickDrake.com forum in 2005. A friend of his remembered seeing Nick Drake on Granada’s ‘Scene at 6.30’ in March 1970, about the time Drake supported Fotheringay at the Manchester Free Trade Hall. However the recollection was proved to be faulty because ‘Scene at 6.30’ finished in 1966. It’s possible that Steve Diggle’s friend saw Drake on ‘Octopus’ which had a similar time slot (6.05). Drake appeared at the Free Trade Hall on 20 March 1970, so the clip could have been aired on ‘Octopus’ the following Wednesday (25 March).

Does any ‘Octopus’ footage survive? ITN Source lists a few film inserts from the show dating from January to June 1970, but they are not music-related. There are clips featuring holograms, robots, steam engines and other things. Could it be the case that ITN Source haven’t listed all the Granada holdings? It would be nice to think there could be other segments or even complete editions of ‘Octopus’ hidden in the Granada vaults. I suspect the Drake performance doesn’t exist anymore. If he was filmed at the Free Trade Hall then there might be a film insert in existence somewhere. If he performed in the studio, then I’m guessing it’s likely that Granada wiped the tapes shortly after transmission without making a telerecording.

I’d be pleased to know if anyone has further information about ‘Octopus’ .

--markdixon..misingepisodes.proboards.com

From the excellent site "Rock on TV"

homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/pob/RockOnTV70-75.html

A snippit of info -

??/??/1970 Nick Drake / Love / Taste / Quintessence [Octopus, Granada TV] (Local North-West magazine show presented by Andrew Fisher on Wednesdays 6:05-6:30pm, acts listed said to have appeared early 1970, before mid-April)
[/size=4]
-jeffleach...missingepisodes.probards.com

wonders never cease!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley