London Fog Recording (Part 2)

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

davis

Post by davis »

Encuentro wrote:Isle of Wight is a damn good show in my opinion. I would love to see a DVD/Blu-ray release of this show.
Same here
Buda

Post by Buda »

Same here, only I would put it like, IOW is one of the last great things they ever did. Inevitably an obligatory release and in that case a must-have. I'm optimistic they will put it out but who knows when? Unfortunately this goes against the established myth of Jim's god-like young lion image so I guess rather later than sooner...
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Buda wrote:Same here, only I would put it like, IOW is one of the last great things they ever did. Inevitably an obligatory release and in that case a must-have. I'm optimistic they will put it out but who knows when? Unfortunately this goes against the established myth of Jim's god-like young lion image so I guess rather later than sooner...
On the other hand they released this new BOT version on R-Evolution, so who knows? I don't know, but I have always liked the IOW show. LMF has great solos, RHB is strong and it's always nice to have The End!
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Buda wrote:Same here, only I would put it like, IOW is one of the last great things they ever did. Inevitably an obligatory release and in that case a must-have. I'm optimistic they will put it out but who knows when? Unfortunately this goes against the established myth of Jim's god-like young lion image so I guess rather later than sooner...
Agreed.
steve1234

Post by steve1234 »

I don't understand the love for Isle Of Wight at all. All the bits I've seen show a thoroughly disinterested bored and tired band going through the motions. Jim forgets what songs they're playing and the whole thing lacks any coherence. If you want a truly demented Doors show from the period, I'd recommend the Dallas concert. Now if only that was available in better sound. Jim sounds consistently terrible throughout but there's something oddly attractive and unique to its vibe. It's sounds like the end of the road for Jim and admittedly hindsight is a wonderful thing but even through the obvious sadness I find it compelling and a worthwhile listen.

Has anyone got a really good copy of it? The YouTube copy is dismal and very distant.
Buda

Post by Buda »

I guess it's not love, but appreciation. To put into context, the Isle of Wight is a very much fitting performance for the band as they were at the time. No more and no less they were capable of and looking at that way, it is evidently an honest and a good show which could not be done any better. Okay, change John's gear and style back to its '67 version to start it but one has to recognize, it is a wholly different band-animal than it was back then. Actually no animal left in it by now. John is drumming like he forgot what were his great clues!

Dallas brought some really interesting bits and pieces but comparing their December '70 shows to any of their '67-'68 stints, I feel anger towards the management/peers every time I think about they obligated Jim to perform after June, 1970. They should have stopped for the rest of the year upon seeing Jim's evolvement. It's one thing no one knew how to handle alcoholism at the time but forcing someone under such condition to perform is clearly irresponsible. For both parties but I went off-topic now...
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

steve1234 wrote:I don't understand the love for Isle Of Wight at all. All the bits I've seen show a thoroughly disinterested bored and tired band going through the motions. Jim forgets what songs they're playing and the whole thing lacks any coherence. If you want a truly demented Doors show from the period, I'd recommend the Dallas concert. Now if only that was available in better sound. Jim sounds consistently terrible throughout but there's something oddly attractive and unique to its vibe. It's sounds like the end of the road for Jim and admittedly hindsight is a wonderful thing but even through the obvious sadness I find it compelling and a worthwhile listen.

Has anyone got a really good copy of it? The YouTube copy is dismal and very distant.
That's very true.
Jim tried in Dallas, really tried and pulled off both concerts in admirable fashion, first one, under such circumstances, heavy dosages of alcohol, was good.
But that version of When the music's over has got to be one of the saddest versions in history of The Doors..
Not to go off topic, you can find a good copy on The Traders Den, if it hasn't been pulled.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I think the band was actually in good spirits in Dallas- evident in BackDoor Man, Jim ends it on a high note with expressions of appreciation from Ray. La Woman has the same evidence, they sound like they're enjoying themselves. Jims voice is gone, but their spirits are high.

I would even argue that Seattle, a show most consider to be a low point, was actually one of the highs of this mid 70 time. The band was unusually tight, and Robby played unusually well- backed by rock solid Ray, and reliable John. Rays solo in Mystery Train is probably one of my favourites from him along side the Riders solo (studio version). Morrison was dopey, BUT he was far from sounding like the awful 'blues man' Morrison we hear in Boston. The same 'blues man' voice of his which lacks clarity, is flat, sounds muffled, this voice appears throughout the AL shows- mostly in Philly, Detroit, Boston, Pitts.... but mainly evident in Boston and Philly. Not to be confused with his being hoarse in Hawaii, Long Beach, Chicago (although Chicago is borderline...)

IOW Jim sounds pretty good in some songs (I do believe BOT is up there with Detroit BOT), but Ship Of Fools and Roadhouse Blues are almost career low points for the band, in my opinion. Robby in general was not in fine form to say the least, at the IOW festival.

WTMO from Dallas is a good version, in high spirits.

I'm starting to read into the Doors performances so closely now that I almost feel like I can sense the mood of each player from section to section. Dallas, and particularly La Woman, IMO, was a high point for the group because they got to do something new and exciting, and they fucked it up a bit but thats the nature of doing under rehearsed songs live, which is HOW the band began, remember. The spirit of the jam was there, even if the jam sort of sucked a little or wasn't as tight and polished as the finished version we all know to be a #1 driving tune.

In 1968 when Morrison laughs at in BDM, after Robbys solo, I do wonder if he is having a dig at Robby for muffing his solo. Robby was not a dependable guitarist- sometimes he's AMAZING, and sometimes you can hear him reach but not quite get it.... I'd like to do some statistics, look at the quality of a solo and then jims reaction. I am almost certain he's dissing Robby at the Hollywood Bowl as he laughs and says "yeah you lookin real good". I know this is typical Jim bullshit, you can't tell if he's singing to the crowd, or to the imaginary girl in his mind he's gonna fuck after the gig, but it could be both, and it could be directed at Robby too. The intro to WTMO from Hollywood Bowl speaks volumes about the hierarchy in the band, who follows who, who's following the one who's following the leader, how it varies from song to song. See Jim cue John in on the drum intro to WTMO, you can see them vibing on the beat together, John very closely watching Jim for when he might spring off, and when it gets too much, John lets go, Jim starts running and the band crashes in. It was nice to really SEE the communication.

Anyway, Dallas was a good show, high spirits, looser band than in Seattle where they were Ass-hole tight, but Morrison seemed a bit dopey, however, in Seattle he wasn't pushing too hard, he sang loose, relaxed, and just sorta rode it as though he were too tired to go hard, rather than sounding god-awful blues man as he did in Boston, Philly, etc etc. His energy actually picks up in Break ON Thru, Someday Soon, and particularly LMF where he sings quite nicely. Funnily enough, in boston he sings the first verse of LMF quite well too.

I truly believe nowadays that when we remember that comment about Dallas and N-O, being test shows to see if Jim would 'be a good boy', I think that more or less means, will he lead us down a really loose and thoughtless path as he did during The End in Detroit (how frustrated would YOU be in front of 10,000 people when the singer in your number one selling band fucks up and sings the last verse first then trails off into some poetics you'd not heard before?), and alsoI think the 'good boy' comment refers to whether he will sing LMF properly. They all knew it was their major crowd pleaser, they knew they had a big dumb pop fanbase, and to keep their gravy train going they needed to sing that song well. Jim often fucked it or gave bored performances, and regardless of that, he commented to the press that the song was shit and just awful (surely someone here recalls the quote??) so imagine tensions in the band.

Some of this may sound like i've analysed too far, but really, The Doors were a band of sensitive personalities and fragile egos. I think it's perfectly relevant to look at what made them tense, and how their relationships evolved and how that brought their music down in the end.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

The IOW is not a great Doors concert. Fans want it because it was pro-shot and recorded to multitrack, but this isn't the Hollywood Bowl. There can't be as much red-tape as Jampol asserts; the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired and as others have pointed out, The Doors are on fumes. But if The Who can justify putting out Kilburn and Experience Hendrix can justify putting out Jimi's Isle of Wight performance, anything should be possible.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

mystery_train67 wrote:Some of this may sound like i've analysed too far, but really, The Doors were a band of sensitive personalities and fragile egos. I think it's perfectly relevant to look at what made them tense, and how their relationships evolved and how that brought their music down in the end.
Stepping out of lurk mode to say that was one of the best posts I've read on this forum. You even inspired me to listen to this stuff for the first time years. Well said my friend.

Chris
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

midnightx wrote:The IOW is not a great Doors concert. Fans want it because it was pro-shot and recorded to multitrack, but this isn't the Hollywood Bowl. There can't be as much red-tape as Jampol asserts; the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired and as others have pointed out, The Doors are on fumes. But if The Who can justify putting out Kilburn and Experience Hendrix can justify putting out Jimi's Isle of Wight performance, anything should be possible.
Why does it have to be Hollywood Bowl?
IOW concert was great for a period it was in, during the Miami trial and everything..
Even though they were on fumes, they were good, Ray is great, so is Jim in good spirits and Robby made a couple of mistakes, but what the hell, good show.
Anything can be possible, right.
morrisonhendrix

Post by morrisonhendrix »

Lost Prophet wrote:
midnightx wrote:The IOW is not a great Doors concert. Fans want it because it was pro-shot and recorded to multitrack, but this isn't the Hollywood Bowl. There can't be as much red-tape as Jampol asserts; the picture quality leaves a lot to be desired and as others have pointed out, The Doors are on fumes. But if The Who can justify putting out Kilburn and Experience Hendrix can justify putting out Jimi's Isle of Wight performance, anything should be possible.
Why does it have to be Hollywood Bowl?
IOW concert was great for a period it was in, during the Miami trial and everything..
Even though they were on fumes, they were good, Ray is great, so is Jim in good spirits and Robby made a couple of mistakes, but what the hell, good show.
Anything can be possible, right.
As rightly pointed out, The Doors are on fumes. It will take Jampol getting to the point of no more viable product left to put out, in order for him to justify, or be desperate enough, to put out the Isle of Wight, which hopefully won't be that far away.
"Music is your only friend, until the end"
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Chris M wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:Some of this may sound like i've analysed too far, but really, The Doors were a band of sensitive personalities and fragile egos. I think it's perfectly relevant to look at what made them tense, and how their relationships evolved and how that brought their music down in the end.
Stepping out of lurk mode to say that was one of the best posts I've read on this forum. You even inspired me to listen to this stuff for the first time years. Well said my friend.

Chris
Haha cheers man! I just feel like I know them so well and have heard so many subtle variations of the same tunes that I can sort of feel whats going on. BackDoor Man might have the same licks and trills most times, but the energy always changes, the feel, be it hard or soft... they never TRIED to do it the same way they did it before. Felt Forum versions are solid HARD rockin versions cos they were tight boozey rockin gigs, cos they were in good spirits. Seattle BDM starts out slower, softer, groovier... because the mood was, hmmmm tense? sombre? Morrison asked them to play it straight thru, presumable so he could do Love Hides. They ALMOST did changeling in seattle. Far oout man I wish they did.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

mystery_train67 wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Chris
Haha cheers man! I just feel like I know them so well and have heard so many subtle variations of the same tunes that I can sort of feel whats going on. BackDoor Man might have the same licks and trills most times, but the energy always changes, the feel, be it hard or soft... they never TRIED to do it the same way they did it before. Felt Forum versions are solid HARD rockin versions cos they were tight boozey rockin gigs, cos they were in good spirits. Seattle BDM starts out slower, softer, groovier... because the mood was, hmmmm tense? sombre? Morrison asked them to play it straight thru, presumable so he could do Love Hides. They ALMOST did changeling in seattle. Far oout man I wish they did.
This last page of posts has been quite fun, entertaining and informative...some of the best posts in a while, guys. Thanks!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Steeps

Strange Days London Fog

Post by Steeps »

Hey guys,

I missed the boat with the live version of Strange Days from the London Fog. Does anyone have a link to this online or an MP3 they could send me? I have searched high and low and cannot find it :cry:

One of my fave Doors songs, I'd love to hear a live version.

Thanks
Steeps
miltonjumbee

Post by miltonjumbee »

Steeps

Post by Steeps »

miltonjumbee wrote:Welcome !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILfGlA_JdM4
Excellent, thank you very much Milton! What a legend :mrgreen:

Steeps
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Steeps wrote:

Excellent, thank you very much Milton! What a legend :mrgreen:

Steeps
This version, this piece of this live version warms my heart. It takes me back to my high school years and to many associated loving memories. Sweet and naif years. Discovering people and its nature. Discovering love in a troubled dimension. Strange days was always a favourite of mine. The lyrics were fascinating challenges to my limited understanding. There was so much life and experience on those lyrics. There was this message of a rebel, a damn poet, dead in dramatic circumstances. So it was his aura. A proscrit. An idol.

We know now there's a live version of Strange Days.
We know now it's a great version.
We know now this can bring back some unknown wonder, some lost wonder of Ray and Jim talent.
We know it's anxiously expected by the fans.
We don't know when this release will be... released.

Damn. It's about time. I'm tired of waiting.
Buda

Post by Buda »

DAMN, RELEASE IT!!! :twisted:
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

When did Jampol last talk about future releases? Is the LL still terrible? It was great when he was on there.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Does it still exist?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Sweet, Milt!

Doors s/t & Strange Days LPs are toss-ups as to which is my favorite, but then, 1967 was a great year for me all round, being 17 years old in Nov of that most important year for the Golden Age of Rock. So many of the greatest albums ever recorded were released from January thru December of 1967.

Damn what a time!! What a year!

(By the way, I have a friend who saw them, for that London Fog stay, 1966...oh my god... really!)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
kostis

Post by kostis »

oh god..
i haven't been here for a while. this is amazing
In that year, we had an intense visitation of energy
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

kostis wrote:

oh god..
Good to see you back, Kostis...cheers!

-Aldous Huxley
kostis

Post by kostis »

jamestkirk wrote:
kostis wrote:

oh god..
Good to see you back, Kostis...cheers!
james =)
In that year, we had an intense visitation of energy
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

kostis wrote:

oh god..
For a big while... We are tired to wait for this release.
I'm also tired of my avatar. It will remain like that for how many years?
samiam236

Post by samiam236 »

My God.....Will they ever release anything ever again? They teased us with the "Strange Days" snippet. Release the damn thing already!
Buda

Post by Buda »

bump
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Well February 2016 will be 50 years anniversary of the performance.

August 2016 will be the fifth anniversary of the announcement of the recordng
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Silver Forest wrote:
kostis wrote:

oh god..
For a big while... We are tired to wait for this release.
I'm also tired of my avatar. It will remain like that for how many years?
HA! Been Waiting For The Fog too long, SF. Someday soon, maybe?, you're avatar will change to "finally got the FOG".

-Aldous Huxley