Holy Grails (Other Bands)

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

drago24

Holy Grails (Other Bands)

Post by drago24 »

My Holy Grail

Pink Floyd - Games For May (1967) 12th May 1967, Queen Elizabeth Hall in London

The band played for a full two hours that night where Syd Barrett is at the peak of power.
It was also the first surround-sound rock concert ever.

andrewskyDE make excellent topic over
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... 67.670652/
Much later, rumours went round that the concert was taped via professional (multitrack) recording devices by EMI, but Peter Jenner denied this.
Though some visitors believed to have seen recording machines at the venue, no true evidence ever came up.

I was hoping for it while the Floyd's Early Years campaign came up but sadly nothing was mentioned about that.
Ledboots

Re: Holy Grails (Other Bands)

Post by Ledboots »

Apart from my Doors Holy Grails - Colorado, New Orleans and Carnegie Hall (post Morrison), I'm after a few Zeppelin, Page with Crows, Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix shows. The fun is in the chase. I've been collecting boots since the 70s, vinyl, then the days of the old TDK cassettes, CDs and now digital. It has been a wonderful journey. I still tape the occasional show, well digitally record anyway. The old Sony Walkman died years ago :D
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Ledboots wrote:Apart from my Doors Holy Grails - Colorado, New Orleans and Carnegie Hall (post Morrison), I'm after a few Zeppelin, Page with Crows, Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix shows. The fun is in the chase. I've been collecting boots since the 70s, vinyl, then the days of the old TDK cassettes, CDs and now digital. It has been a wonderful journey. I still tape the occasional show, well digitally record anyway. The old Sony Walkman died years ago :D
I uploaded Colorado 67 (sans BDM) and Carnegie on this forum. The links are probably dead by now.
Ledboots

Post by Ledboots »

Wow, what... They are out there... Blown away... Any chance of a re-up link or something? Wow, just blown away, I've been looking for these for years. This forum is unbelievable. :)
MojoInTheSky

Post by MojoInTheSky »

Id be interested in this as well!
Ledboots

Post by Ledboots »

Any chance of somebody putting up Colorado on the anniversary of the show? 21st Oct.... Oh that's today :D
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Ledboots wrote:Any chance of somebody putting up Colorado on the anniversary of the show? 21st Oct.... Oh that's today :D
I would prefer Danbury '67 remaster that Chris (jim4371) did a long time ago. Never heard it, yet many here welcomed it.
Ledboots

Post by Ledboots »

Sorry LP, can't help you there, only got the 1st Gen version :(
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Neil Young self titled 1969, withdrawn mix vinyl. I have two.

Neil pulled the withdrawn mix and is said to have bought the remaining unsold records from Reprise and used them for shingles or something. He regretted that years alter and now likes those original mixes--and fans love them by far the best.

Here We Are In The Years.
In the remix, Neil fades out long before the heartbeat fade. Mistake IMHO. The only mix I'll listen to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__g4lgcBrL8

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Ledboots wrote:Sorry LP, can't help you there, only got the 1st Gen version :(
Never mind. There's also another one.. Stony Brook '67 tape, which appears to be lost, but maybe that wouldn't be a holy grail.
Oh but I'm concentrating only on The Doors here, sorry.
A tape from QMS performance from Monterey or some more additional footage from them would be nice.
Never bored with QMS, with Cipollina's playing as a guitarist and all.
My favorite period is their early period.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

"Never bored with QMS, with Cipollina's playing as a guitarist and all.
My favorite period is their early period...."

Oh yeah. QMS is the best....their first and second LP for sure. Cipollina is amazing.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
ostrichfarm

Post by ostrichfarm »

Lost Prophet wrote:
Ledboots wrote:Sorry LP, can't help you there, only got the 1st Gen version :(

Never mind. There's also another one.. Stony Brook '67 tape, which appears to be lost, but maybe that wouldn't be a holy grail.
Oh but I'm concentrating only on The Doors here, sorry.

Is that the 1967-09-23 show? Do we know for sure that it existed? Stony Brook was a heavy taper scene back in the day, though certain key shows don't seem to have surfaced.

Pink Floyd 1971 is one of them, though it wouldn't be my Holy Grail -- some 1969 shows would better fit the bill for that.

BTW circling back to the Doors I can't find the Colorado 1967 show on the site, or even dead links for it. Would love to hear it, even with appropriately low expectations.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

ostrichfarm wrote:Is that the 1967-09-23 show? Do we know for sure that it existed? Stony Brook was a heavy taper scene back in the day, though certain key shows don't seem to have surfaced.

Yes, it is.
I've read numerous rumours online that it existed, but got lost in time.
Also there had been a big list of Doors uncirculated recordings, which was posted first on the old Doors forum, then it got pulled because it wreaked a havoc on Jeff Jampol, then that same list got posted here on this forum.
Among the stuff I do remember from the list was some Honolulu '70 backstage footage, and Seattle Nov '67 sb tape.

BTW circling back to the Doors I can't find the Colorado 1967 show on the site, or even dead links for it. Would love to hear it, even with appropriately low expectations.

Maybe there'll be something on 52 years from that concert, which isn't far away :wink:
ostrichfarm

Post by ostrichfarm »

Totally overlooked your response until today, Lost Prophet! :oops:

Lost Prophet wrote:
ostrichfarm wrote:Is that the 1967-09-23 show? Do we know for sure that it existed? Stony Brook was a heavy taper scene back in the day, though certain key shows don't seem to have surfaced.

Yes, it is.
I've read numerous rumours online that it existed, but got lost in time.
Also there had been a big list of Doors uncirculated recordings, which was posted first on the old Doors forum, then it got pulled because it wreaked a havoc on Jeff Jampol, then that same list got posted here on this forum.
Among the stuff I do remember from the list was some Honolulu '70 backstage footage, and Seattle Nov '67 sb tape.

That's such a shame that the Stony Brook tape was apparently lost! As I mentioned I've been chasing a Stony Brook 1971 show from Pink Floyd for ages but haven't had any luck.

Is that big list of uncirculated recordings still on the forum somewhere? I realize we have plenty of Doors to listen to as it is, but it's still nice to know what might be out there. And sometimes it's really unclear whether certain shows and recorders circulate or not -- since we lost The Doors Guide, it's harder to find a reference that spells it out.

Lost Prophet wrote:

Maybe there'll be something on 52 years from that concert, which isn't far away :wink:

That'd be great! A bunch of comments make it sound like it was shared here, but I haven't found a thread, even one with long-dead links. :?: It'd beat the heck out of having to fly to Colorado Springs...