Bakersfield- DOA?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

StrangeNightOfStone

Bakersfield- DOA?

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Well, i know Ray thinks Bakersfield is not in a good enough quality to warrant an official release- I do love the Backdoor Man/Old Stone Road medley, plus Love Me Two Times/ St james Infirmary. Will the Doors camp change their mind, and officially release this show and the full recording of Seattle '70?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Lost Prophet

Re: Bakersfield- DOA?

Post by Lost Prophet »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Well, i know Ray thinks Bakersfield is not in a good enough quality to warrant an official release- I do love the Backdoor Man/Old Stone Road medley, plus Love Me Two Times/ St james Infirmary. Will the Doors camp change their mind, and officially release this show and the full recording of Seattle '70?
Ray talked about this show in an interview 13 years ago and he says it's a good show, he said that quality isn't great, but it's very listenable. Then "The Doors Live in America" compilation got out, from which we have LMTT from Bakersfield. Since then, no word on Bakersfield.
Seattle '70, there was a debate on a downloadable version over the net, via project The Doors Downloads, but never came to its fruition.
Blame Jeff Jampol on that one, he said that downloads will be available soon, the only thing is that he said that over two years ago.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

They said that shit about downloads back in 1999 I think- I remember because I only a 56kbps modem and there was no way I would have been able to download it.

I don't see why they don't just hire some fan to master Seattle and Bakers real quick and put them up as a download. Shit, we do that stuff all the time.
davis

Post by davis »

I 'remastered' Miami from my DCM copy. by that all I mean is I increased the input level.
mystery_train67

The Bakers recording quality is ok. It's the clearest of the Vinces tapes. The mix is a bit shi thought- drums loud, vocals loud, the rest is a bit soft..... but thats what came off the stage. you could probably pull the bass up with some EQ in the bottom, and some parametric action in the high mids for organ/guitar, but it might sound a bit weird potentially.

I'd say primary reason for not releasing this is Morrisons vocals are mostly terrible. Even the band is loose as a goose.
cutis

Post by cutis »

Why do you say Jimbo's vocals are mostly terrible?? He doesn't sound drunk at this show. He sounds very sober. He recites a poem, "old stone road" and her performs a full concert in its entirety. It most certainly is on par with Philadelphia. Yes, the band is loose and mistakes are made. But you can't say the band isn't jamming with lots of energy. John on drums, in particular on Universal Mind, is drumming his ass off.

This is a very good show for '70.
mystery_train67 wrote:
I'd say primary reason for not releasing this is Morrisons vocals are mostly terrible. Even the band is loose as a goose.
morrisonhendrix

Post by morrisonhendrix »

Musically, it has its' moments. However, Ray and Robbie make plenty of mistakes. I think that's why Ray doesn't want it out.
"Music is your only friend, until the end"
mystery_train67

cutis wrote:Why do you say Jimbo's vocals are mostly terrible?? He doesn't sound drunk at this show. He sounds very sober. He recites a poem, "old stone road" and her performs a full concert in its entirety. It most certainly is on par with Philadelphia. Yes, the band is loose and mistakes are made. But you can't say the band isn't jamming with lots of energy. John on drums, in particular on Universal Mind, is drumming his ass off.

This is a very good show for '70.
mystery_train67 wrote:
morrisonhendrix put it straight- the show has a few stand out moments. old stone road, universal mind (although very cool, is still sloppy as hell) and love me two times. but morrison is off key most of the time, and the band makes plenty of mistakes showing just how loose they could be. the opening lyrics of roadhouse blues make me cringe.. morrison was real bad.

even though old stone road is cool, jim managed to fuck that up too. he couldn't come up with enough words, or couldn't remember them, because he trails off and it's obvious he lost that vibe. haha.

in my opinon Seattle is a far better show, the band is cooking with gas and i don't mind morrisons lazy approach. I am one of the few who actually think he's enjoying himself on this one... jim specifically asks the band not to segue into five to one, so he could do love hides. jim suggests the band do 'changeling'..... yeah he sounds a little bored or tired. drunk? who knows. he was drunk at most concerts wasn't he?
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

mystery_train67 wrote:
morrisonhendrix put it straight- the show has a few stand out moments. old stone road, universal mind (although very cool, is still sloppy as hell) and love me two times. but morrison is off key most of the time, and the band makes plenty of mistakes showing just how loose they could be. the opening lyrics of roadhouse blues make me cringe.. morrison was real bad.

even though old stone road is cool, jim managed to fuck that up too. he couldn't come up with enough words, or couldn't remember them, because he trails off and it's obvious he lost that vibe. haha.

in my opinon Seattle is a far better show, the band is cooking with gas and i don't mind morrisons lazy approach. I am one of the few who actually think he's enjoying himself on this one... jim specifically asks the band not to segue into five to one, so he could do love hides. jim suggests the band do 'changeling'..... yeah he sounds a little bored or tired. drunk? who knows. he was drunk at most concerts wasn't he?
There are a few more songs that were better in Bakersfield than most versions from concerts in 1970, Ship of Fools, Alabama Song (it is on par with Vancouver, Jim's vocals sound even better on this version than in Vancover)... But I have to agree about Roadhouse Blues, sounds like they hadn't put a soul to it, it is a lackluster performance of the song.
Old stone road is pretty good for an improvisation.
We all have different opinions, but Seattle annoys me for a couple of things. First, the band is really cooking, but Jim doesn't bother getting into the show - at all. Second, that performance of WTMO is the worst performance of the song in concert, every time I hear it, I can't believe how ruined it is (Jim shouldn't have put the mic into the amp).
Then again, Seattle has great moments, BOT went good, Someday Soon, this is the best version of the song, the one from Pittsburgh can't get even close. Five to one is also good, but it is a shame Vince T. ran out of tape. Light my fire sounds great in Seattle, Ray is on fire on this one, Robby is playing well and Jim got into it...Everything changed after Someday Soon, the song turned the show around. Both Seattle and Bakersfield are good performances, no doubt about it.
mystery_train67

I agree about WTMO, Morrison is terrible. Robby carves a pretty good solo though. The Train Jam from this gig is my favourite. Ray absolutely kills it during his organ solo, and Away In India is the best version of this segment of the jam that I've heard- Philly comes close, but in Seattle Robby just nailed every lick he went for and they all lock in tight.

I'll give Bakers another listen....

EDIT- I'm referring to the Seattle train jam....
morrisonhendrix

Lost Prophet wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:

There are a few more songs that were better in Bakersfield than most versions from concerts in 1970, Ship of Fools, Alabama Song (it is on par with Vancouver, Jim's vocals sound even better on this version than in Vancover)... But I have to agree about Roadhouse Blues, sounds like they hadn't put a soul to it, it is a lackluster performance of the song.
We all have different opinions, but Seattle annoys me for a couple of things. First, the band is really cooking, but Jim doesn't bother getting into the show - at all. Second, that performance of WTMO is the worst performance of the song in concert, every time I hear it, I can't believe how ruined it is (Jim shouldn't have put the mic into the amp).
Then again, Seattle has great moments, BOT went good, Someday Soon, this is the best version of the song, the one from Pittsburgh can't get even close. Five to one is also good, but it is a shame Vince T. ran out of tape. Light my fire sounds great in Seattle, Ray is on fire on this one, Robby is playing well and Jim got into it...Everything changed after Someday Soon, the song turned the show around. Both Seattle and Bakersfield are good performances, no doubt about it.
I guess you recall that story that Robby told about that. He told Jim after the show that the audience didn't like that, and didn't come to hear feedback. Jim agreed and IIRC, apologized for doing it.
davis

Post by davis »

morrisonhendrix wrote:I guess you recall that story that Robby told about that. He told Jim after the show that the audience didn't like that, and didn't come to hear feedback.
Except from guitars. I love guitar feedback, myself.
mystery_train67

morrisonhendrix wrote:
Lost Prophet wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:

I guess you recall that story that Robby told about that. He told Jim after the show that the audience didn't like that, and didn't come to hear feedback. Jim agreed and IIRC, apologized for doing it.
really? where did robby tell this story. cool story.
morrisonhendrix

mystery_train67 wrote:
morrisonhendrix wrote:
Lost Prophet wrote: There are a few more songs that were better in Bakersfield than most versions from concerts in 1970, Ship of Fools, Alabama Song (it is on par with Vancouver, Jim's vocals sound even better on this version than in Vancover)... But I have to agree about Roadhouse Blues, sounds like they hadn't put a soul to it, it is a lackluster performance of the song.
really? where did robby tell this story. cool story.
Sorry, I don't remember where I read that. I wish I could recall.
doorman

Post by doorman »

Bakersfield 70 is what I long to hear the most, from what i've heard so far it sounds fine, John's drums sound different, tighter, band was on..
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

bakers should win the league by the end of the year, prior to any release contemplated (matrix,fog)
Carnival dog
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

Another 1970 show before Matrix and Fog? To each their own, but nah. It's Matrix and Fog ahead of anything else for me
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

Encuentro wrote:Another 1970 show before Matrix and Fog? To each their own, but nah. It's Matrix and Fog ahead of anything else for me
+1
Buda

Post by Buda »

jdlaw wrote:
Encuentro wrote:Another 1970 show before Matrix and Fog? To each their own, but nah. It's Matrix and Fog ahead of anything else for me
+1
BUMP
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
doorman

Post by doorman »

Hopefully the 2nd reel of Bakersfield 70 will make it out somehow, once again, of everything we know that exists on tape i'd like to hear this the most.
summiteer

Post by summiteer »

Could anyone help me out finding this show please a cd rip.
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Got my copy off a torrent.
Don't know who has a CD rip, unfortunately.
Hope I did help you.
summiteer

Post by summiteer »

Lost Prophet wrote:Got my copy off a torrent.
Hope I did help you.

That would do, what torrent site?
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

None in particular..
Just typed The Doors Bakersfield 1970 torrent in Google and there it was.
It was in MP3 though, but made from a low gen, I could tell by the sound.
UniversalMan

Post by UniversalMan »

summiteer wrote:
Lost Prophet wrote:Got my copy off a torrent.
Hope I did help you.

That would do, what torrent site?

I've got a lossless copy if you're interested. Shoot me a message on here.

Alternatively I saw the CD for about 80 bucks the other day on ebay. Almost picked it up.
Buda

Post by Buda »

I also would be interested in a lossless copy of Bakersfield!

Thanks for your efforts!
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I may have uploaded this years ago? I gave Len my 1st gen tape to transfer, maybe he uploaded it at that time.
Ledboots

Post by Ledboots »

Here you go playmates :)

the Doors
21 Aug 1970
Civic Auditorium
Bakersfield CA
NOTE:
audience recording (?- info sez by their road manager from center stage.)
approximate setlist: (corrections appreciated!)
1. Roadhouse Blues
2. Alabama Song
3. Back Door Man
4. Old Stone Road > ? > Universal Mind
5. When the Music's Over
6. People Get Ready >
7. Mystery Train >
8. Ship of Fools
9 Love Me Two Times > Baby Please Don't Go > St James Infirmary

lineage: trade cd > eac > flac > upload

Download link
https://we.tl/t-3ovgiVMVzI