Looking for an Agent for Vince’s book

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Looking for an Agent for Vince’s book

Post by The Freedom Man »

Hello all,

Vince has been writing a lot the past years and now wants to release a book.This seems a difficult task. To release one on his own, like self publishing is difficult and takes a lot of time.Also when the book would be finished he has to take all orders to the postoffice to send the books out.
So most easy would be if he had an Agent who can arrange things for him.
I have tried with different people I know to help him out, but no luck.
My question is, is there anyone on the forum who maybe knows an agent or how to get in contact with an agent for his book?
Any help would be great,

Thanks
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Re: Looking for an Agent for Vince’s book

A lot of pages have been written now about the Road Manager’s story – filled with tid-bits about riots, recording session, the independence of the Doors, new management and his life through four years.
Vince is wondering of there would be interest from people to read his stories.If so, he will continue to write and try to release a book.Maybe a chap book first and go on from there.
Anyone can help out with the big question if such book would be an interesting read from someone who spend 4 years with The Doors? Vince likes to know, if not, he is not going to go on and there will be no book.
What are your thoughts?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Of course we all love hearing first hand accounts about the band. Vince was an integral part. If we enjoy books from people that were not involved directly, then Vince’s story is a must read.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

There is a mini-industry of books at this moment published by people who were just friends of Jim Morrison, without any direct involvement with the business of The Doors or Jim, that is, not like Frank's and Paul's books - Dennis Jakob, Billy Cosgrave, some other guy or two. And Vince had the best of both worlds. So there is no question his story would be of immense interest, the only question is what he intends to do with it, and how. There is a wide range of publishing possibilities, from DIY to Lulu/CreateSpace/whatever to dedicated independent publishers, and maybe well-known publishing houses, with luck and a good agent.
eva

Post by eva »

I say .... definitely YES !!!!!
morrisonhendrix

Post by morrisonhendrix »

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!
"Music is your only friend, until the end"
IrishJim

Post by IrishJim »

100% yes. I always like to read now insights and stories of the time The Doors had together.
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Absolutely, would totally buy that!
Hyacinth5000

Post by Hyacinth5000 »

Definitely 100%
deo500

Post by deo500 »

Would definitely be interested in a book by Vince!
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Latest update about Vince’s book is that it is as good as ready.
Trouble now is still finding a publisher.If there is anyone on this forum who can help out, that would be great cause this book deserves a proper release!
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Does he have an agent? There's a lot of publishers in the US / UK who would welcome a Doors-related book by an insider at the moment, considering what other music-related books they churn out, but what are his expectations, his vision of this release.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

He has no agent, would be nice to have one and be able to release a book.
Guess that is his vision. But these days it’s difficult to rekeaae a physical book. Any agents on the forum?
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I'd suggest for Vince contacting somebody among well-known music book writers, they may be sympathetic to his cause, and give him valuable tips, what to expect and where to look. For example, somebody like Richie Unterberger (he has a blog where he reviews all kinds of music books), Harvey Kubernik (published about 3 years ago his own book on the Doors with a small but dedicated publisher), Dave Thompson (probably the most prolific music book writer ever - writes about all kinds, cowrote with rock stars, published with every kind of publisher). Maybe somebody else whose name escapes me at the moment. Also, I think Steven Wheeler is a member here?

(Also, as a buyer of music books of all kinds, I can compile a list of possible publishers. But of course, it is important for Vince to have a realistic evaluation of what he wants, should he decide to contact them directly.)
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Thanks for the names of people.
Maybe you can contact Vince and pass them on to him?
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I thought he's on a direct line with you?

It's not like I would mind contacting him, but I've checked and his contact here is via PM - and I don't think he visited recently?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Yes I am in contact with him. Mostly he doesn’t mind if people send him an email. I’ll forward your post to him so he can di a search for the people you mentioned.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Another prominent guy is Ken Sharp. In fact, I thought of him yesterday, but then for some reason forgot - memory plays tricks with me sometimes. So it's not like he's the last guy on the list; in fact, he should be among the very first to be asked IMO. Like Dave Thompson, he writes / cowrites a lot, all kinds, with publishers at every level, including his own imprint. Also, he performs and records his music.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Thanks again!
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Well, Vince has not find a good publisher yet.
He wrote me this:

“I still do NOT have a traditional publisher. I am still open to finding one. Remember that the Cow Palace footage is FREE to anyone who get me a legitimate publisher who will provide some form of up-front payment to secure the rights of the story.”
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

https://youtu.be/Gf7mozHpCfQ

Here is an excerpt from a new interview with Vince.
"Have a few beers, and take your time..."