the Doors movie

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

wha happened

the Doors movie

Post by wha happened »

*note this topic was deleted in the recent meltdown

sunday trucker

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:19 pm
Hi Vince, nice to see you around answering questions! This is really cool.
Now can you tell us about the process of contributing with The Doors movie? And if your contribution was used and a your opinion about the film result! (I´m afraid I know this last one´s answer!)
Thanks!

Daniel
sunday trucker

Thank you!

Post by sunday trucker »

Thank you for the story Vince!
Good thing wha_happened found my topic! thanks!

It seems like 100% of the people (that actually have been there) have the same opinion about the movie. I wish they could do a new one, less "exciting" movie, but I guess thats left for documentaries... :?
Nice story about the "thing"! very funny!

I´ll keep on reading Vince, keep writing, man!
"It doesn?t matter, Ray!"
- Vince Treanor (1968)

www.TheDoorscomics.com
vince

Exciting Movies

Post by vince »

Suday - What Stone could not accept in his drive to create Morrison in his own image, was that the truth of the story of the Doors and the people in and around that Group WAS Very Exciting. All he had to do was present what really happened. In the case of Miami, thousands of people went to the theaters expecting to find out the truth and what they got was an exhibition of special effects and a barnyard.

Stone spent a great deal fo time in the preparations. The people who built sets and obtained properties to dress them were absolutely insistant that things be right. I was being pulled from one place to another answering questions about clothes, props instruments, equipment - all sorts of things. We went far afield to try to obtain the most accurate perior instruments. I have the set builders make exact replicas of the amps I built and I provided the acoustic amps that were used from January 1968 on to January 1969.

All in all, if Stone himself was as interested in reality to the extent that his staff was, that movie should have been a bang up success. Instead, it was drivel.

If a new movie is done, excitement will come in the form of reality of Jim, his behavior, drug and alcohol abuse - without the excess and sensationalism. Of course, it will be the greatest opportinity to not only provide honest insght into Miami but the incident in New Haven with the police beating jim.

Who knows what they have planned. I know Ray will go for glamourizing Jim - so what else is new. But I think that if he is given any control at all, he will want reality.

Thanks for the questions.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

In the new movie the accuracy in the New Haven scene would be Jim with a college girl from Southern Connectciut State College and not the Celtic witch Kenneally. That never happened and the cop should be African-American and not white. The real truth should be told, not Hollywierd make believe. Just my 2 cents.
Terry
JLizard

Cool Kat

Post by JLizard »

Well tonight I am going to see Billy Idol at the Congress Theatre/House of Blues in Chicago. He has a small part in the Doors movie too, as a cat named Kat. Are there any stories of him when he was being filmed? Have you ever heard his rendition of LA Woman. Hope he does NOT play it tonight. :lol: Thanks Vince!
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

I saw billy Idol some months ago here in Holland, one of the best shows I've been to!
Enjoy!
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
JLizard

"Kat" Idol

Post by JLizard »

The Billy Idol show in Chicago was filmed in High Def by VH1. So either it will be a documentary on him or a video that will be sold separately. As if Billy I read my post, he changed LA WOMAN to CHICAGO WOMAN! :?
windchime

Post by windchime »

Hi Vince,

I was wondering during the filming if you had the opportunity to reunite and chat with John, Ray, and Robby? Although I know that Ray refused to step foot on set due to the falsities in the film, but did you have a chance to spend time with anyone that you worked with back in the day? Also wondering if you did meet Patricia Kennealy and what your impressions of her are. I would imagine it was rather strange for you to be back in that place again with these people that were a part of your every day life, but an experience nonetheless.

Also, what were your impressions of Stone's obsession with Jim Morrison?? In interviews that can be seen on the DVD as well as otehr interviews I have seen him in, he seems rather obsessed with Jim. At one point, he even said he "loved and missed Jim"?? Did the two men ever even meet?? He is a bit of a controversial figure in the movie industry (who else would take on the events of 9/11)?? Just wondering what your thoughts are on that as well as your seeing these people from your past again was like.

Thanks Vince~
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

It seems in the film, and in the events that took place behind the scenes, Stone had very little respect for Jim, the other Doors, you, or the overall Doors legacy....
The film was a travesty!
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."