your life after the doors

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Mystery Train

your life after the doors

Post by Mystery Train »

hi vince

i wonder what you did and what you're doing after your time with the doors? as far as i have read you are now living in korea. how come? i just wonder because you seem to have an interesting life with a lot of cool stories to tell.
vince

Life behind closed Doors

Post by vince »

I went to Hawaii and made a film about surfing that was 1972 and some.

Don't ask me Hw I got in touch with Abbot and Hawley but these guys were a pair of conn artists as slick as any. Now don't get huffy, they really did have product and they did deliver but it was the method.

This is a story in itself. Through them I was in the game business, remember the earliest video games - Pong and all?

Then came the photo machine business. It used the Poloroid 665 film to generate a negative and from that used this self contained machin to produce a 20" X 24" B&W print of YOU. 5 Minutes. Now it is all digital computers and printers but then this was a sensation in any amusement park. We built more than 100 of these, high quality, precision machines.

Do you remember the oil shut off in 1975 and some? I got interested in sailing SHIPS, not these glorified yachts that are called "Sail Training" enterprises. I mean Big, steel hulled ships driven by .... Wind. We established a non profit research group, Windships Magnificent, and did the studies necessary to prove that when crude oil topped $30.00 per barrel that it was economically feasable to operate commercial sailing ships that incorporated highly automated sail control systems. None of the romantic pully haul and climbing the rigging, let the computer do it or push the right buttons.

We went on the lecture circuit and did a lot of talking and raised a lot of eyebrows. We had all sorts of shipping people to advize and even a wind tunnel test of a model of a magnificent ship, a 5 masted ship with little more than 100,000 square feet of driving sails. Also an auxiliary engine - just in case. This baby could clip throught he water at 35 knots under full sail with a stren quartering wind of 30 knots. But in the days when the different in profit for cargo was measued in pennies, we could undercut by quarters and still make twice as much money per route.

Primarily it was a bulk carrier but it could ber fitted with referation, container racks, or side posts fro break bulk cargo - that is anything that begins with B (Boxes, Barrels, and so on)

If it was good then - How about now. Fuel is twice the price. this was no romantic fantasy, I could still be done. I still have the plans.

then in 1980 came the color machine. We developed the first automated daylight operational color enlarging machine that utilized a chemisty made by an incredible young man, Gene Pack of Peck Sales in N. Hollwood. we made and sold about 20 of these units. The color machine business was quite profitable until my partner gave it - Yes, Gave it all to a fellow in Japan. Seems they have always had a bad reputation.

Overlapping that was Movies. In 1969 Frank Lisciandro interoduced me to the first Bolex, 16 Pro camera in the USA. and that really was a fun. It was with this incredible piece of equipment that I shot the Cow Palace footage in 1969. Also the first Boeing 747 that landed in LAX and lots of other things. I made a great living at that until 1985 when I got into

Yacht building - From there to the most important yacht builders in Taiwan as quality control, production supervisor and western style greeter for Western style customer who flocked to the yards to buy low cost very high quality yachts from the Overseas yard in Kao Hseng and the Nova yard in Taipei. I was also a night school principal for the yard crew to teach them conversational English. I had to learn Chinese, Manderin is spoken by more people than any other language in the world. The method used was simple. Unless I asked for my meals in Chinese, I did not eat. I learned really fast.

1989 - Back to the USA in time for the Doors movie.

Back to China 1990.09.01 ( I will Never go to china - I wouldn't get caught dead in that place) for four months of teaching crews in the chinese yards to build quality into their yachts. Four years later I returned to Los Angeles with a China boy that had worked in the yard with me. We established a yacht service business. We also sold two yachts and it was on an inspection trip to ZhuHai for one of our clients, where the Seahorse Marine yard is, that I stopped off in Korea.

Cruising the historic city of Seoul I heard about an organ recital. Then, still wandering around, church to church, cirumstances brought me to the YounDong Presbyterian Church. They had a very sick organ. I told them I would fix it - No cure, no pay. They didn'tbelieveit. They had a Korean "Expert" ( a has been under pressure) and paid them a Lot of money to fix it. Since it was made in USA, these guys were lost and did more damage than they fixed. With that kind of offer, as well as - it is broken, can't get any more so attitude they finally said - OK!!!
But, I did fix it in only 13 hours then tuned it for the first time in 18 years.
they told my fried whohad invited me to Korea, tobring me to the CHurchon Sunday. the Pastor stood me up and told the congregation that "God has sent us Mr. Treanor and he has reparied our organ" the whole place stood up with a tremendous applause.

After months of negotiation, the church wrote a 2 mil contract and I built a Big, bigger, biggest organ. It was the largest Church organ in Asia, the first ever built in Korea by Koreans, in the first Korean organ factory for a Korean Church.

6 years later.... and.... Here I am, headquarters for the Doors "Mr Answer Man" Forum.

When I have time from writing answers for the curious, I am also building two more organs but not so big.

Anything else???

I am now 72 years young, getting a little thick around the waist, grey around the edges, a little drafty in the back and without my glasses I am the personification of Mr. McGoo. That is why I have Puss-Puss type most of my mails. She's good with dictation but a little sloppy on the keyboard.

Am I lonely, Yes. But I have my Cats. Puss and Jerry are really great conversationalists. I told to you guys. I have many mails each day for the business. I listen to Organ Music to get up beat when I draw in ACAD for the new organ plans. We have a Korean Sales Rep and are interested in selling to churches in the US. The labor market here is less cost so the prices for organs we build are quite lower than what a US built new one would cost.

I guess most of you were not even a sly gleam in your daddy's eye when the Doors were live. That's OK. I was there. I'll tell you about it.

Wow, 34 years of history in 10 minutes.

Here I am.....
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince,
When was the last time you made it back to Andover,Mass.? Do you still have family there? Would you ever consider moving back to the States and if so, where?
Terry
New Haven, Connectciut
Terry
vince

Afterlife

Post by vince »

I was in Andover in 2003 when the Family house was sold. That was a sad day. My parents bought it in 1939.07. I had lived there until 1967.12.26.

I have ahome in LA. I visit once every couple of years. End of September will be next visit.

I guess I will return to the USA. I didn't really plan this but I made a huge investment here to establish the factory and I can't just walk out on it.

My Sister lives in New Hampshire. Otherwise, I have no other family

There are others if the line in other places

I don't know where I would finally settle . I am gettin on in years.

Do you propose Connecticut?

Not a bad place. It used ot be green.

I had roots in Westfield, Mass, Methuen. Vancouver, Bend, Ore.

I don't know now. I just hope to have another 40 or 50 years to decide. I don't like to be hasty.

Well, That's about it.

13:00 is 1:00PM in England. 2:00 PM on the western Continent.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince,
Yeah there are still some parts of Connecticut that are green, but everyweek end I go to my 2nd home in New Hampshire. It's great there, my place is across the street from a lake and it's peaceful. The town is called Hillsboro which is between Keene and Concord so it only takes about 3 hours to get there. Connecticut is getting crowded and the cities are spreading out to what used to be farms so New Hampshire is the great escape. What part of New Hampshire is your sister living in? Well the neighbors up there got to hear a Doors concert a couple of weeks ago because I had a little campfire in the back yard and played the Live from Detroit album very loudly. Nothing like a little nature and a little Doors and couple of beers to pass the night away. Well Vince have a nice weekend and don't work to hard and find time to have some fun. Take care.
Terry
Terry

Post by Terry »

I don't know where I would finally settle . I am gettin on in years.

Do you propose Connecticut?

Actually Vince I propose New Hampshire so you can be near your sister, It's good to by family whenever you can.
Terry
vince

New England

Post by vince »

Sister lives in Windham, not far from the former Searles estate. She and he husband have a house on Cobbets Pond.

You are not that far away. You have to go past there on 93 north.

I used to have a string of churches there, Concord, Derry, Manchester, laconia, Ashland, Plymouth, Frankin, Bretton Woods, other stops along the way.

Brettin Woods was incredible. The church was of stone with Tiffany Windows. Those windows were worth more than Mount Wshington, which we could see from the side lawn. There was a tower clock that had not run in years and we got it going again. People thought some ghost was tolling the bell when it struck for the first time .

There was another beautiful stone church in the shape of a cathedral. The Ivie Memorial Church of the Messiah. It has Alfred Bell windows and a 12 bell carrillon. The organ was a beautiful Aeolian with a player in it. We used to go up and let the organ play it self while we checked the various parts. These were both summer churches and the mice and cold wold take their toll over the winter. The stillness, the warm sun, the wind in the silver birches out back. Who knows what evil has befallen that remote and beautiful part of New Hampshire.

We would sit on the step of the back door and repair the magnets that the mice damaged and the organ would play bringing fresh are into the chests, reservoirs and wind trunks. I suppose some fool has rebuilt it or modernized it some way. Maybe replaced it wath one of those damnable trackers that are sweeping the country.

the player used paper rolls with little holes punched for notes, turning stops on and off and controling the Swell Shades. They had over 100 rolls and we listened to them all.

3:15 and counting
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince,
The next time I'm up 93, I'll try to look for those churches and take a look. I go skiing up there and my next stop is Bretton Woods, I skied Wildcat last season which is in Jackson, across hte street from Mt. Washington, so I'll have to take my wife up there and look for those churches.
Have you ever worked on or seen the pipe organ that is in Woolsey Hall at Yale University? The last time I saw those pipes I went to a U2 concert at Woosley Hall back in 83. That is a beautiful concert hall and the organ pipes are gorgeous. Too bad the Doors didn't play at Woolsey Hall because the accoustics is grand and they would have sounded great. On the other hand had the Doors played Woolsey Hall you probably would have not worked for them. Plus there would have not been any blood in the streets in the town of New Haven to sing about in Peace Frog. have a great day Vince.
Terry
New Haven, Connecticut
Terry
vince

Woolsey Hall

Post by vince »

The organ in that building is not just fairly large it is also famous. It is a very important consert instrument as well as historic.

I have not personally seen it but I do have recordings. Magnificent. Impressive, Inspiring.

If you go up to Bretton Wood, the two really nice church, which should be open now as it is summer. are in the route 28 line. Maybe route 2. It goes up through Bretton woods and loops over to come south on the east side of Lake Winnipasaukee. We were care takers before 93 and 95 were built. Up route 28 from Andover through Lawrence, Methuen - past the Methuen Memorial Music Hall which houses the first concert organ in the United states, built in 1863 for the Boston Music Hall.
From there to the Derry Rotary and the little Congregational Church on the north side. We had a little Hook organ in the congregational church in Rumney (There are no stones in Rumney) The plymouth Congregational had a real E.M. Skineer and that burned. The church of the Holy Ghost - we installed a litle Estey organ donated by a Family in Boston. Holderness School replaced the organ we built in 1958 with a Tracker about 10 years ago.

Franklin Baptist, That has been rebuilt

The Church of the Transfiguartion is on the left side of the road. In the backdround you can see Mt. Washington even the cog railway climbing the side of it. It is strictly a summer church. In winter it is sometimes inaccessable owing to the roads being blocked with snow

Yes, by all means take a tour of Rural New Hampshire. I am sure I would be shocked at the change. It has become the State to live in as a result of low taxes and all. Of course that will, like Hawaii, destroy the place.

Have a nice trip
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince,
Did Puss Puss spell Winnipasaukee for you? :D
I'm gonna try to check those churches out, thanks Vince.
Terry
Terry

Post by Terry »

Terry
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince I trie to, without success, put up a picture of the Woolsey Hall with the Pipes but if you copy the URL above and enter it in the search toolbar you'll see a great picture. If that doesn't work Google it.
Take care.
Terry
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Here it is:

If you go to: http://www.imageshack.us/ you can upload pic's using the one at the bottom for this Forum saying:Direct Link To Image.

Cheers,
The Freedom Man
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
vince

The Hall

Post by vince »

Make them high - Make them straight, Make arches and columns, and you have the secret to a Very Resonant Room. Magnificent isn't it. You know the case for the Woolsey organ is similar to some of the great organs in France built by Artistide Caville-Coll - He was the guy who introduced the symphonic organ to satisfy the thirst of Ceasar Franck, the pioneer in the symphonic style of composition. He was followied by such Notables as C.M. Widor, Louis Vierne and Marcel Dupre. Believe me, there were others. Boellman wrote the Grand Choir Dialogue - a discussion between the most powerful reeds in the organ and the Diapason and Flute choruses.. It begins with a profound statement and goes on to a discussion of terms. Incredible. Give a listen. There is another one - Francks Grand Piece Symphonic - Utterly profound.

For relaxation, it's like the cigarette following.... Pastoral by Franck.

For real rippers you can hit Variations on a Noel by Dupre it is based on God Rest Ye Merry Gentlremen. Wow!!!!. I mean WOWWW!!!

If you think you hear bells - Try Louis Vierne's Carrilon de Westminster. Yes, it is based on the clock toll.

Widor, like Beethoven, wrote 9 organ symphony's Vierne got to 6, I think. Peeps, the French school of Symphonic composition just knocks the socks off the "other Stuff". Try it, you can only get burned for the cost of a CD. If you don't like it send the CD to me.

Forget the Doors - This is Organ Appreciation 101 You get excited over LA women... Baby you have yet to be excited.

I know - to each is own.

Try it. There is a recording of Pomp & Circumstance on the big Kilgen organ in St. pat's cathedral - New York. Who says organs don't Rock n Roll. There is Stars & Stripes on the Morman Taberbacle. A lot of nice transcription on The Riverside Cathedral by Virgil Fox...

Peeps - Open the Door - Let it IN - Don't study it, Just listen, Relax and just lesten. Here, try the Vierne Carillon first. That doesn't require much thinking to get the beat and tune.

Try it and let me know. There are 150 peeps on the Forum. I figure we'll see 150 CD of the Vierne sold.

HEY PEOPLE - A BIT OF NEWS - IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO OD BY INHALING HEROINE - SO, THERE IS ONE PART OF A THEORY BLASTED TO HELL. MAINLINE, DEFINITELY. PAM WAS A MAINLINER. HEROINE & EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE, POLICE WERE HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS OF CIRCUMSTANCES (WHY) AND NO AUTOPSY - What does this suggest???
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

And the answer is..............?
vince

For $64,000.00 Answer this question

Post by vince »

Ask Alan....
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Freedman,
Thank you for correcting my error and getting the picture up, isn't it an awesome picture of Woosly Hall's pipe organ?
Vince,
Thanks for the info on the oranists.
Terry
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince,
How did you get into organ building? Was there a school for organ apprentices in Mass or New England?
Terry
cutis

Re: The Hall

Post by cutis »

HEY PEOPLE - A BIT OF NEWS - IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO OD BY INHALING HEROINE - SO, THERE IS ONE PART OF A THEORY BLASTED TO HELL. MAINLINE, DEFINITELY. PAM WAS A MAINLINER. HEROINE & EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE, POLICE WERE HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS OF CIRCUMSTANCES (WHY) AND NO AUTOPSY - What does this suggest???[/quote]

Pam would have been implicated in Jim's death. She would have been arrested and put in jail.
Estella

Post by Estella »

But couldn't the policemen and coroner see the needle mark if the death was induced by mainlining heroin?
Why should they pretend they didn't see anything?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Re: For $64,000.00 Answer this question

vince wrote:Ask Alan....
Well Alan keeps his mouth closed about it.
I always go for the Rock 'n Roll club theory, where Jim OD'd on the toilet and was brought back home by some guys.This must have waken up Pam, and maybe she wasn't even in the building and came in when Jim was left in the Bath.
We could speculate on this, but fact is Jim died, that will always be the end of the story.
This truth is something we probably will never know.
But still an interesting point from Vince about it being hard to OD from inhaling heroin and no autopsy
Estella

Post by Estella »

RIP
Estella

Post by Estella »

cutis wrote:HEY PEOPLE - A BIT OF NEWS - IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO OD BY INHALING HEROINE
Sorry, I didn't read that.
Actually, inhaling heroin can definitely cause overdose and death.
vince

Death by lethal injection

Post by vince »

There really is no other answer
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

Vince. it is great that you have availed yourself to this forum. When your work with the Doors ended, did you consider staying on in the music industry which was growing by leaps and bounds at that time as a tour production manager or perhaps a record production manager? With your background in music, organ building, amplifier building, sound reinforcement, and stage managing , and getting all of the equipment ready for recording sessions, it seems like that you might have considered staying on in the entertainment business.
vince

Play it again Sam

Post by vince »

I came to the Doors because of their music. I had seen the group play three times before the arrangements were made. I accepted the offer to work with them because I believed strongly in their philosophy and their music. I was fortunate to be able to accomplish this association.

I had received several offers from other groups to do sound work and take on the duties of Road Manager. I refused them. Though some were quite good and already famous and could afford me only Joni Mitchell was a suitable candidate. There ensued a series of complexities that made my associatin with her program uneasy or uncomfortable. I liked her as a person and was very interested in her music but the situation was not conducive to good working conditions.

The others - I could have worked with them. I probably would have enjoyed it but they were not the Doors. It is just that simple.

Did I make a mistake. Maybe. Should I have stayed involved. Perhaps. I hope you can appreciate that I was pretty hurt by what happened with the Doors. It was cold, callous and calculated. It really disturbed me. Remember that I went through the transition period of the Managerial situation with the Doors. I was aware of the vicious infighting that oft times occurred within staff and group members. I was well aware of how rapidly things can change for the worse.

Take Crosby Stills, Nash, Young, Reeves and Taylor. They made me an offer. I had done work with them and could easily get along with all members of the group and the Managers. But with Dave Crosby getting arrested fordrugs every months, tour being cancelled and the generally unstable situation - Why get involved.

B-Gees, Who, and others made offers or suggestions but after 4 years of absolutely ideal working situation with four people I really liked, I did not want to trade that for the troubles and infighting that I saw in other groups. I felt it would lead to another abrupt ending. I had one divorce, I did not need another.

Bill also did his best to isolate me from the "Important People" of the inductry. Where he could, of felt it necessary, he made it clear that I was never to be conferred with in any matter dealing with booking, scheduling, promoting or interviewing the group as a whole or any individual therein. As a result, though I knew by sight and through phone conversations, just about every promotor - or their assistants, and all the major hall managers, I was always treated as a distant and unimportant second best enless it dealt directly with the technical side of a performance.

When you have been beaten down like that, it is very difficult to gain respect and confidence of such people with whom you must deal on a regular basis.

Perhaps, when I think about it, I was foolish not to continue. I really wanted to work with Bill Graham for whom I had the highest personal regard and respect for his business operations and relations with any group that performed for him. Graham was, and remains a most sincere and dedicated man and an example of the kind of methods and standards that should prevail.

Unfortunately things did not work out and the moment passed.

I took the path least traveled, for better or worse. I have my regrets and I have my memories. I cannot change history and can only speculate in what direction things might have gone had I not taken that vacation to Hawaii that gave Bill the opportunity he had been waiting for.

One thing I can say. I am glad I did not see the end of the Other Voices. Those final days must have been painful for all the guys.

I hope this has answered your question. Thanks for your participation.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

It makes senses that the final breakup after Full ciircle in 1972 would have been a difficult time for all invoved. Actually one bright point of the Full Circle era was the tour that they did which by all accounts was well received, though by that time they no longer had you as road manager , and the Full Circle album had nothing on it worth publicising. Thank you for answering my question . I always wondered if i would see your name somewhere in the music press or on the back of some album cover in some technical capacity in connection with some big name act For example , The Who , Kiss, and Grateful dead were knwon for their huge sound reinforcement systems and i thought that someday, somewhere, I would see the name Vince Treanor pop up on the back of an album cover as it did on Absolutely Live, which was an album i listened to repeatedly at the time it was issued. Well thanks to the Freedom Man web site, your name has popped up again and you are answering inquiries to boot!
vince

Strongbow

Post by vince »

I am made to feel some passion that there are so many people greatly interested in the group and all that happened. Sometimes it brings anguish and painful memories over the tragedy of it all.

I am gratified that so many of you enjoy this site. We all owe much thanks to Freedom Man for his part in setting the site up and keeping it going.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
windchime

Post by windchime »

vince wrote:Make them high - Make them straight, Make arches and columns, and you have the secret to a Very Resonant Room. Magnificent isn't it. You know the case for the Woolsey organ is similar to some of the great organs in France built by Artistide Caville-Coll - He was the guy who introduced the symphonic organ to satisfy the thirst of Ceasar Franck, the pioneer in the symphonic style of composition. He was followied by such Notables as C.M. Widor, Louis Vierne and Marcel Dupre. Believe me, there were others. Boellman wrote the Grand Choir Dialogue - a discussion between the most powerful reeds in the organ and the Diapason and Flute choruses.. It begins with a profound statement and goes on to a discussion of terms. Incredible. Give a listen. There is another one - Francks Grand Piece Symphonic - Utterly profound.

For relaxation, it's like the cigarette following.... Pastoral by Franck.

For real rippers you can hit Variations on a Noel by Dupre it is based on God Rest Ye Merry Gentlremen. Wow!!!!. I mean WOWWW!!!

If you think you hear bells - Try Louis Vierne's Carrilon de Westminster. Yes, it is based on the clock toll.

Widor, like Beethoven, wrote 9 organ symphony's Vierne got to 6, I think. Peeps, the French school of Symphonic composition just knocks the socks off the "other Stuff". Try it, you can only get burned for the cost of a CD. If you don't like it send the CD to me.

Forget the Doors - This is Organ Appreciation 101 You get excited over LA women... Baby you have yet to be excited.

I know - to each is own.

Try it. There is a recording of Pomp & Circumstance on the big Kilgen organ in St. pat's cathedral - New York. Who says organs don't Rock n Roll. There is Stars & Stripes on the Morman Taberbacle. A lot of nice transcription on The Riverside Cathedral by Virgil Fox...

Peeps - Open the Door - Let it IN - Don't study it, Just listen, Relax and just lesten. Here, try the Vierne Carillon first. That doesn't require much thinking to get the beat and tune.

Try it and let me know. There are 150 peeps on the Forum. I figure we'll see 150 CD of the Vierne sold.

HEY PEOPLE - A BIT OF NEWS - IT IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO OD BY INHALING HEROINE - SO, THERE IS ONE PART OF A THEORY BLASTED TO HELL. MAINLINE, DEFINITELY. PAM WAS A MAINLINER. HEROINE & EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE, POLICE WERE HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS OF CIRCUMSTANCES (WHY) AND NO AUTOPSY - What does this suggest???

No offence Vince, but it is not at ALL impossible to die as a result of inhalation of heroine, cocaine, etc. You do not have to mainline as Pam did in order to overdose and die from it.