Jerry Hopkins

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Jerry Hopkins

Post by Stuart »

Hi Vince, Did you ever get a chance to converse with Jerry Hopkins when the doors toured mexico in 69?, he covered it for rolling stone if iam correct. What did you think of him?.

Here is what he said about Jim on his site-

http://www.jerryhopkins.com/stories/jimmorrison.htm
vince

Hopkins

Post by vince »

Jerry called me and asked to interview me for his book. He spent two, possible three days at my house and we covered a lot of information.

I was NOT the only person Jerry interviewed. He made every attempt to speak with all those who had contact with the Group, officially or otherwise (Friendships) and was intent on providing a balanced and honest view of Jim and how he and the group were related.

From what I learned from him, had he been able to publish his book, as he planned it, the story would have been a lot different. We must remember that Sugarman took Jerry's notes and book draft and turned it into the fantasy story the carries his name. Hopkins was sort of left behind the Door (OMG :D _

I did talk with him in Mexico., Casual conversation about my impressions, audience reaction and acceptance and what we - me-they thought of the museum, the pyramids and Mexico in general.

I found Jerry to be polite, detailed, curious and pretty open. He was certainly a good conversationalist and I fould it easy to talk to him. I did not find anything much in the way of negativity towrds me or the group.

I have NOT read the thread before writing this.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Joriki
Banned

Post by Joriki »

Hey Vince,
If Danny Sugerman hadn't hijacked Jerry Hopkins story with his own fantasies, how do you imagine the book would've turned out? What sort of things did sugerman excise? I find it interesting that Hopkins couldn't get the truth published, but Sugerman got the myth published. IT reminds me of an old quote, I can't remember who said it, but it goes something like when faced with the man or the myth, print the myth.
vince

The myth

Post by vince »

Joriki:

I think you have said it all.

It is likely that the verysion that Jerry wrote was somewhat academic. With the spicing that Danny gave it, the publisher thought the public would buy it. They did, unfortunately

How do the versions differ.

Truth (Dry and factual) as opposed to the wonderous mythology that Dan provided. It was this distortion that Stone bought and added his version of the now ficticious distortion of carefully researched facts.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors