What do you remember fondly of Jim?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Joriki
Banned

What do you remember fondly of Jim?

Post by Joriki »

Hi Vince,
I read at the end of a recent post that you found Jim when sober to be "a really nice guy." I know in this forum there has been much discussion about Jim's charactaristics that were not promoting the myth. However, everyone is complex, and I imagine your memories of Jim are quite complex as well. When I think of people I have known and had intense experiences with, time allows me to see the whole spectrum of who I experienced them to be, both good and bad. I am wondering, that when you remember Jim fondly, when you miss him, what sort of things do you think about? What stands out in your memory of him as a person that you liked, and were moved by?
Thanks.
vince

Memories are made of this

Post by vince »

Joniki

Thank you fro a public message. I think a lot of people would like to hear my feelings about Jim.

Initially was the voice - Soft, silky, powerful where necessary, moving. The music hit me most of all because I was completely immersed in Classic music of both orchestral and Organ compositions. The music was written as classic music was scored.

When I went to the first live concert, I was impressed with the performance that Jim put on but more by the skills of Ray, John and Robby. I came away convinced that this group was the American Beatles.

When I began to work with them I began to be away of the personalities, talents and relations of the individuals and within the group. they were a team that did a great job.

My first meeting with Jim was interesting - He asked me to leave the dressing room, which I did. Later, when he was told who I was, he came into the hall where I was waiting and appologised and asked me to rejoin the group. It was a bit funny and I took it in stride.

I found jim to be sensitive, a loner - more likely lonely. He was interesting to talk to. Subjected were diverse and interesting, never mundane. He was opinionated. Generally he would put forth some idea and wath people react to his provocation. He liked to startle people. I wonder that he liked to talk to me - we often did as he was in the office many times when I came in. We would exchange pleasantries and then
get down to serious discussion. I did not usually react to Jim's commentary, rather present my equal position, sometimes I startled him. He would not usually answer any questions rathe do the asking. Perhaps because I was older and as a result of his Military upbringing he reacted much differently to me. Rather than being a victim of his controlled discussion, we became much more equals and had more dialogue the probative questioning.

I liked Jim. I was not close to him, maintaining a certain separation because, after all, he was my employer and in many cases familiarity can lead to contempt - or at least loss of respect. He was always respectful of me and I of him. to a point.

I admired his talen, both written and performance when he was sober, or nearly so. I felt resentment and anguish when he got drunk and did a bad performance as a result. Needless to say, all members of the group felt frustration and anger when he deliberately pushed the bounds of acceptable language or behavior and caused the group trouble. When Jim was drunk I really did not want much to do with him. I maintained my status and spoke when spoken to, with some exceptions. That does ot mean that I did not like him.

When news of his death came to us, we were all incredulous. We were shocked. When there was acceptance of the facts, all of us fel great sadness and a sence of loss. I knew that an era had passed and no matter what happened, that the music produced by Jim was at an end.

I think that the worst part of Jim's death was the inability to understand the how and why of it all. So young, so needless. the absolute frustration of not knowing what really happened and how things had come to such a pass. It is hard to explain my relation with his. I liked him, I was not close to him such as Frank Lisciandro was. But we had an undertanding, an awareness a common ground and mutual respect.

I was not grief stricken at his death. I was sad, unhappy, frustrated and sort of empty. One thing was certain. Jim was dead and there was nothing anyone could do about it. This had to be accepted and make the best of things thereafter.

I remember him as a singer, writer of wonderous lyrics, curious, intelligent I can see himn making a jok, head tolted with that little smile he had. I can see him serious and pondering my rebuttal - I had made him think rather than just observe.

I cannot explain all my feelings about Jim - who can without becomming maudlin. Worse, exaggerate or embellish. Let's just say that I liked him, even when he was a Very Bad Boy, I could do nothing to stop the downhill slide. Even when speaking to him about it, stil he seemed not to care even though I could tell him factually where he was going. He made his choices. He was his own man.

I ope this is a good reply for you. It is a difficult subject.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors