Sal & Ash

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Hamlet

Sal & Ash

Post by Hamlet »

When The Doors had success they decided upon, after meeting several people, managers Salvatore Bonafetti, a former manager,
and Asher Dann, real estate agent.- They were Whisky a go-go patrons.

It lasted from around Summer 1967 to January 1969, before Miami.

They were often ridiculed and described hilariously in Densmore´s book.- He has to this day regrets about the choice.

Some of the highlights are for sure Ash´s drinking contest with Morrison before a concert, Sal´s headache on the top of his head for a couple of months, the rolling-over-tables-fight Morrison has with Ash at The Scene.

But perhaps they weren´t as bad as suggested:

They got The Doors a press agent, plugged them pretty good. A lot of interviews in the rock-press, a lot of gigs all over America.
Landed The Doors a gig on Ed Sullivan, with an option for 7 shows, and The Jonathan Winthers Show.

- Vince, what are your thoughts on Sal and Ash?
We`s just joy-ridin'
vince

Ashes to ashes

Post by vince »

Well - I met Asher Dan on the phone for the first time. He was quite mannerly and well spoken. Perhaps that was out of desperation because without Bill Siddons presence they Doors would have had a hard time on the Road.

Bil had established himself as hard working, honest beyond reproach, sincere, friendly and relaible. Who could ask for anything more?

Bill had to quit or face the draft and he chose me as his replacement. Something I am, to this day, grateful to him for - Yes, I know, I have made some very critical remarks about Bill, BUT, one must give credit where credit is due.

When I met Sal and Asher it was December 17 in Winterland. they were quite casual until they discovered who I was after Bill had introduced me. Friendly, warm well dressed.

You guys may know that Sal had the appearance of Luca Brazzi in the Godfather. Luca was in fact playing himself - a stone cold Mafia killer.

Jim was a bit afraid of him and this was one of the factory in the dissolution of the managerial agreement.

When I met Sal and Asher in their office, after the 6 day tour, I found both of them to be pleasant people to work with. Courteous, considerate and helpful, providing me with all the information I needed to get involved with the limited support team already established, and offering me "Call anytime you need anything".

Believe me, for the few months remaining in their association with the Doors, they lived up to their every word.

I was asked by Robby to provide any incident that they had failed to keep a promise, lacked co-operations or assistance in any detail. I could not say one negative word.

I felt bad about that incident. the real reason the group wanted to break that contract was self control. The only mistake B&D made was making decidions without consulting the Guys. They were told what they would do, when and how. These two guys were businessmen, and quite succesful at that. They ran a tight business with practicality and scheduling being the rule of the day. The Doors where Very young men and perhaps a bit naive, there was a generation gap and that was widely resented in those days.. In that period anyone over 40 should have been sent to the funny farm or turned into Soylent Green.

I heard about the fight with Jim and have wondered just how far it really went. Jim was violent but always toward object, rather than people. It could well be that Asher and Jim had a drinking contest. That is something Jim would have enjoyed, even mroe if he was consious enough to know he won it.

Yes, I agree, B&D were a productive team. They put the Doors on the front page and billboards and did wonders to boost their image and income. There were not treated with complete fairness. On the Doors side, they should have been allowed more voice in the procedings, being given the right to know of and agree to the programs that B&D had laid out, That was the fundamental, underlying cause of the dissention. Freedom of choice. Yes, there were other points, but that was the big one.

By the way - the contract was terminated by judgement in March or April of 1968. Bill took over immediately, I was promoted and we established the office and staff at 8512 Santa Monica.

I am sorry to say that I never saw Sal or Asher again.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

There have been many instances in the entertainment business in which once an act makes it big, conflicts arise between the performer and the managerial unit. In mant instances mangers have been dismissed and the lawsuits fly back and forth , and in many instances the performer is left with little or no income while court matters drag on. Compared to other performers in similar situations, the Doors got out of their contract with Asher and Sal relatively easily. They chose to make Bill Siddons their puppet manager which freed them from being told what to do all of the time by Asher and Sal but in the long run they probably suffered some harm to their business by putting a young kid in charge.
vince

The Manager

Post by vince »

Yes, It is true that they put Bill in charge because he was young, had no power in the industry, wanted the ob and could be molded to their demands.

However - one must remember that Bill had been with them. He was honest, Trustworthy, Reliable, worked hard and was about their age. He knew promotors and hall managers, and had experience.

On the short end, he was arrogant, egotistical, overbearing, in some cases offensive and was not strong enough to handle Jim and the consequences of Jim's actions.

Because he got commissions, he was not as careful as he should have been about bookings. This led to Miami and a very careless attitude towards securing and ironclad contract with the promotor. He did not check on reputation either.

There were other incidents where Bill slipped up.

Considering that he was only 20 and had to deal with some pretty tough veterans of the industry, he did not do too badly.

Yes, the Doors did get off lightly with B&D. They continued to perform that shows books and consented to provide the appropriate commissions to B&D. The membernt the contract was terminated, Bill and the Guys signed a lot of shows for the remainder of 1968 including the Euro tour.

While the Doors were formed - that is as a four man group, in 1965, they are celebrating the release of their first album, not the formation of the band.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

- thanks for your reply, Vince!
We`s just joy-ridin'