Not that one!

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

JLizard

Not that one!

Post by JLizard »

Vince, are there any songs that use a certain instrument or amp that you animately opposed to but had to give in because that is how the DOORS wanted to play it? Were there any songs that you gave specific advice on how and what equipment was to use when the boys didn't know which way to turn? Thanks.
vince

Yielding authority.

Post by vince »

Actually, Robby was the man who had to be satisfied with the equipment. Ray had tonal control through the "Stops" (tone selectors) on the Gibson. The Piano Bass was just that and imitation of the bass strings of the piano. There was little that could be done tonally.

So Robby had the dominant sound and it was he who was fussy. It was Robby wo made the decision to use the new Acoustic system. and insisted that I use the Acoustic 'Heads" to drive my system when that was designed.

I did not argue with him over that. He liked the sound, was familiar with the facilities and limitations of the Acoustic amps and they did the job for me, nicely blending into my system. Everyone got what they wanted.

As far as songs were concerned, On occasion, I would not guess at the number thereof, they would be stalled for what to play. They never had a prepared set list, they played what they decided on stage and out it came.

Robby or Jim would come over near to where I was standing and ask something on the order of

"What should we play Vince?"

and I would make my suggestion. Generally they put it out over the airwaves. They never argued with me. they knew I had the big red switch....

I have said this before and I do want to make it clear. I have said in jest that I had power. I did, and a lot of it. But that stopped where the artistic tates and accomplishment of the Doors began. I would not, out of respect and as an employee, ever argue with them over any facet of their performance. Paul Rothschild sometimes did over what he felt were things important to the recordings. and on occasion, made suggestions about stage presentation. But Paul was their producer and had that right, and indeed, obligation.

There was only one restriction placed on Jim - If you break the Gold Mike, it will be taken away from you and not replaced.

He never played with that mike in such a way as to do damage.

By the way - Can I make something clear here. I did not supply Jim with beer or liquor of any kind. I did not encourage him to drink on or off stage.

There were occasions when he requested - as good as a command to an employee, that he have some beer. I would serve up a can, brought by one of the BB from the dressing room. I never provided Jim with an unlimited supply of Beer - especially on stage. the promotors were instructed to limit the supply in the dressing room to two (2) 6-packs

I noted in her vitriolic posting windchime made the statement that I was Jims supplier. Regardless of the incorrect stories that might have been written, the truth of the matter is written herein, if no where else.

OK - Hope that answers the questions. and licks the wounds.

JLizard - I think you take things a little too personally. You made a reply to a post that was directed to the dearly departed, certainly not at you.
Read carefully before replying to any posting by anyone.

Read twice - write once. Save some ruffled feathers.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
JLizard

What, I can't hear you...

Post by JLizard »

Vince, can you tell us about the amplifiers that were used back then. Didn't they contain a large vaccuum tube in them which sounded good but was very heavy? I had that a company in Germany actually went back to producing this style because of the unique true to form sound that it produces. Also, I heard that the popular BOSE speakers we have today is from technology which is over 50 years old. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.