Welcome to My Nightmare

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

JLizard

Welcome to My Nightmare

Post by JLizard »

Hi Vince,
I saw Alice Cooper last week and today I was reading the bio on his message board. He says that they opened for the DOORS. do you remember of that event? This is mind boggling :!:
Thanks for the memories. :twisted:
vince

Alice in Wonderland (Santa Barbera)

Post by vince »

They did open for us in the early summer of 1968 at UC Santa Barbera If I remember right.

That was the show where one of Siddons friends got on the apron around the back of the stage and kicked out the power lines for the entire Left side of the stage.
I did not make myself any more popular with Siddon that day when I made it clear that no one - not even the late JC was to get on my stage anywhere near the equipment. If they even tried, I would run them right off the stage. One thing that incident did establish was who was boss on stage. Bill, bless his little heart, never tried to challenge me on that one.

This was also the Baptism of fire for Ken Kowalski from Lowell Mass. Ken spent the summer with me and enjoyed himself immensly. I hope he has fond memories.

It was a wild show and, of course as was Coopers style, they broke a feather pillow and covered the entie stage in flying feathers.

Fortunately there was a breeze and most of them were blown away before the Doors were to come on stage. I can tell you we were up to the knees in feathers for a while.

1968 was a vintage year for the Doors, a beautiful year for California and a most gratifying year for the Fans. It was even good.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
SpyInThisHouse

Post by SpyInThisHouse »

8) Vince,
I read "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" written by Eric Burdon.....in it he claims to have know Jim really well...can you shed any light on this for me?
8) Thanks,
Spy
I know ev'rything, Ev'rything you do
Ev'rywhere you go, Ev'ryone you know
I'm a spy, I can see you, What you do,
And I know!
vince

Who Knows Who

Post by vince »

I am afraid that I have to decline an answer to this question. Ourside a limited number of people I did not realy know those with whom Jim had relations - professionally, casually or socially

How these tow could have met and where is likely at some performance somewhere. How they got to know each other "Really Well" is a mystery since Burdon was based in England and Jim was not.

It is really not possible for me to give an accurate answer to this one. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
SpyInThisHouse

Post by SpyInThisHouse »

:D Thanks Vince for your response and you welcome...it is a pleasure to be here and you honesty is appreciated....FYI..Burdon...in his book states that he lived (had a house) in Laurel Canyon...not far from where Jim and Pam lived....the book was quite interesting Burdon also said he was friends with Cooper.
8) Spy
And I know!
JLizard

Go Ask Alice

Post by JLizard »

Alice Cooper has a syndicated nightly radio program that plays across the weekend. A while ago he played James Dean and then something to the effect of that James Dean was incredible and that he, Elvis and Jim Morrison are all probably living together somewhere in Oregon. Another time he told the listeners that he saw Jim Morrison one morning and said Hey Jim I already had a beer today. Next thing he knew, Jim was in the studio and recorded Roadhouse Blues. Unbelievable. :twisted:
SpyInThisHouse

Post by SpyInThisHouse »

:P Very Interesting...thanks for the info.
Spy
And I know!
sullen and aborted

woke up this morning and had myself a beer.

Post by sullen and aborted »

While we are glamorizing the aspect of excessive beer drinking by Alice Cooper and his one time band mate -close friend Glen Buxton, we should remind ourselves that less than 3 years later , buxton had to be rushed to the hospital and almost died from excessive drinking and was forced to stop drinking altogether, and that Alice cooper had to spend time in a rehab hospital in the late 1970's to totally stop his alcohol intake as well.

Excessive drinking by Jim Morrison was the major reason that the original Doors had to stop live performing, and was a major factor in drunken and profane behavior at the Miami concert which led to amongst other problems , being blacklisted from the concert circuit.