Morrison´s talents.

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

nephron

Post by nephron »

Mozart got lucky because he happened to have a father that prostituted his ass out to anyone and everyone that would listen to him. His talent took him from there. Tiger Woods lucked out because his father developed his talents, above and beyond the other thousands of people that have the same capable talent that have never seen a golf course.

And there are many others that have 'lucked out' that have NO frickin' talent. I have very LITTLE knowledge of rock 'n roll, but I'd say 'Kid Rock' is an example of some bullshit cocksucker that should be cleaning gutters.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

Now man, get your hands of Kid Rock! He's fantastic!
nephron

Post by nephron »

He's as fantastic as whale shit.

EDIT: I'm sorry, but as far as rock is concerned, nothing hits the ears and heart like the Doors. I grew up playing French Horn in big bands. Maybe it's the classical aspect? Maybe not. I've just never heard anything like these guys. Unreal.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

Haha, well you got it right concerning the Doors.

About Kid Rock: personally I just like his no-nonsense aproach. He's straight forward. If you know what I mean. And ofcourse, he's from the 'D'!

You can like or dislike any music you want. I like so many kinds. Yes, also classical. But it ain't always necessary to have several 'intelectual' layers. Sometimes just cool grooving music is all that it takes. Not always. Sometimes. Do you always want love when you see a girl? Or is it just a pure feeling of lust (sometimes)?
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

- please, Marx and nephron!

Would you be so kind and take this to kindergarten, where the grown-ups are paid to guide you.
We`s just joy-ridin'
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Shaadup, Hamlet, you didn't even understand the original supposition.
nephron

Post by nephron »

Hamlet, I post here because I know that you will guide me. Alas, there is no reason to post elsewhere. I consider myself 'blessed' to be patronized by an organism with less cortical matter than a frog. :D
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

Hamlet wrote:- please, Marx and nephron!

Would you be so kind and take this to kindergarten, where the grown-ups are paid to guide you.
That depands of the price. How much do you charge Hamlet? :D
sullen and aborted

Here is another what if?

Post by sullen and aborted »

What if Rick and the Ravens had accepted Jim Morrison as a musical contributor to their line up as Ray had suggested. ? Then there would have been no John Densmore, No Robby Kreiger,no Light My Fire, no recordings on elektra , no paul rothchild or bruce botnick involvement, no big concerts,...
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Rick and The Ravens are great musicians, based on what´I heard.

But they couldn´t see Morrison´s talents. They had no talent to judge that.

Elektra didn´t sign The Doors based on LMF.

Remember that Krieger writes LMF based on Morrison´s suggestions: Earth, air, fire and water.

It´s like you are being invited to a party with a dresscode, and Morrison throws the party.
We`s just joy-ridin'
nephron

Post by nephron »

great musicians
had no talent to judge that
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

nephron wrote:
great musicians
had no talent to judge that
This is exactly a demonstration of an untalented mind!

- You could be a great speller, but not be able to write a novel.

- You could be a great musician, and not be able to write a song.
We`s just joy-ridin'
nephron

Post by nephron »

Exactly. These are your words. I TOTALLY agree.

I also look forward to your talent-laden first album, hopefully due soon to 'stores near' me soon.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Yes, my words, you think they are contradictory.

That´s why you are untalented!

You can be a great musician, thousands of which are found in symphonic orchestras, and yet not be capable of writing a tune.

So you can be a great musician and not be able to judge talent,, when you see and hear it.
We`s just joy-ridin'
nephron

Post by nephron »

From what I understand, Jim wasn't too 'good' in the days of Rick and the Ravens---facing the stage, stark voice (which he apparently developed later), etc.
nephron

Post by nephron »

Hey, man! I got it!

I found your website. I should have known. Pay specific attention to the picture in the right upper quadrant, and also his gloating statements about his 'talent of finding talent'. Wow.

Screw Newton, Pascal, Beethoven, Einstein, Gallileo, DeVinci, etc. They have nothing on this guy---with his ability to identify talent like Cher, etc. Yes, I've always said that a party-crashing celebrity-sucking-sycophant fuckhead talent pimp was absolutely indispensible by comparison.

http://www.johnkalodner.com/
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

nephron wrote:From what I understand, Jim wasn't too 'good' in the days of Rick and the Ravens---facing the stage, stark voice (which he apparently developed later), etc.
-yes, from what you understand.

lol
We`s just joy-ridin'
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

nephron wrote:Hey, man! I got it!

I found your website. I should have known. Pay specific attention to the picture in the right upper quadrant, and also his gloating statements about his 'talent of finding talent'. Wow.

Screw Newton, Pascal, Beethoven, Einstein, Gallileo, DeVinci, etc. They have nothing on this guy---with his ability to identify talent like Cher, etc. Yes, I've always said that a party-crashing celebrity-sucking-sycophant fuckhead talent pimp was absolutely indispensible by comparison.

http://www.johnkalodner.com/
What has this website to do with what we are discussing here?

Yes, Jim became a better performer after the Ravens, but maybe that has something to do with time. I believe in the early days of the Doors, Jim did the same thing. Very shy while on stage. Time is the essence here.
nephron

Post by nephron »

What has this website to do with what we are discussing?
He (or she) was implying that a talented musician cannot necessarily identify another one. My feeling is that it takes some degree of musical capability to appreciate the same.

My dad thought Army food was great.
He can't cook.

Myself? I can cook. I would prefer French-California quisine over Army food.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Man does this thread blow..
vince

Being Shy

Post by vince »

At first, Jim did not want to face the audience. He turned away, sometimes with his back to

When he became more used to performing he would close his eyes. You cen see in many photos that Jim had his eyes shut.

I don't know about the voice development. By the time he was performing in 1967 he was doing just fine.

He was untrained in the formal sense. But evidently there was a lot of singing in his background. Not doubt that contributed to the quality and control of the early voice.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Did you ever have the opportunity to hear the 1965 demos, Vince?
vince

Demos

Post by vince »

No- I did jnot hear them. The singles hadtaken over and then the albums. If there were demos around they had been put away before I got with the group.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

They're pretty much a completely different band, the chord structure is much simpler (particulary the guitar since it was before Robby joined), and if you weren't told Jim was singing you wouldn't know.
His vocals are relatively high and of limited range, clearly a massive change occurred between then and mid-1966.
vince

Pre Band

Post by vince »

That is very interesting. When I heard the first album, Jim had that nice silky voice with the subtle vibrato. It must have been quite a change.

Robby was a flemenco player and used his fingers, as any classical guitar player would normally do. That is what enabled him to do the interesting passages. I noticed in a recent photo that he had a pick and had retreated to the less educated style of playing guitar. I was a little surprised to see him with a pick.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

He still plays some songs with his fingers.
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

I wonder if Jim still sang the same when they were playing the Whisky before they got their contract, as he is doing on the demo recordings. It could be that Paul Rothchild has something to do with it?

I read that Arthur Lee of Love said that Jim stole his complete act (& girl & fame), & that inculdes singing with his eyes close... So was Jim shy on stage or was he a 'copycat'?
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

nephron wrote:
What has this website to do with what we are discussing?
He (or she) was implying that a talented musician cannot necessarily identify another one. My feeling is that it takes some degree of musical capability to appreciate the same.

My dad thought Army food was great.
He can't cook.

Myself? I can cook. I would prefer French-California quisine over Army food.
it´s clearly, you are in way over your head!

- stick to your own stupid threads on how Krieger looks.
We`s just joy-ridin'
nephron

Post by nephron »

His vocals are relatively high and of limited range, clearly a massive change occurred between then and mid-1966.
...hmmmm. Looks like it's now Jim4371 and myself who now understand

There may have actually been a reason that the Fog was empty night after night. Maturation, by definition, simply implies some sort of intercalation of time. Then again, there's slow maturation in the case of people with IQ's of 50 or less (xxxxxx), then there's... :D
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

lol, idiot!

That´s the talent! Maturing as a singer in a year.

And indeed the fact that his songs are simply unique.- Of their own!

Densmore is very specific about this in his book. He saw Morrison´s talents.

Morrison and The Doors make their own path! Creates a new kind of music. No one else plays like them or writes songs like Morrison. So it takes a time to build a momentum.

Anyone in the arts knows this.

I´ve asked you to step out of this thread. Do it now and stick to your cool thread on how Krieger looks. The dumbest topic.
We`s just joy-ridin'