Madison Square Garden, January 1969

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

bluesunday

Madison Square Garden, January 1969

Post by bluesunday »

Vince,

Can you talk to us about this concert? What was your sound preparation like for the Garden?? Why was the sound no bad???

Didn't you properly prepare for this show beforehand to prevent anykind of sound problems??

Why didn't you consider in someway recording this show for the band??

When you hear the audience tape of this show, you definitely hear the sound problems during the band's rendition of Light My Fire.

Can you talk more about what sound equipment you set up for this show? And how was the band's performance in your view??

Thanks!!

Madison Square Garden

Post by Guest »

I will first try to answer about the recordings. It was not my place to record shows. that was a choice of where and when that was made by the Doors, their managements, such as it was, and the Elektra Record Company, to which the Doors were contractually bound. If either Elektra or the Doors had wanted each and every performance recorded that would have been easy, but expensive and complicated to do.
Keep in mind that, in those days, one did not pick up their 64 in 32 out recording board and trot off to the venue.

The sound system. We put our own sound system in the location. Bill Siddons asked Hanley Sound to come down from Boston - without telling me, of course and he arrived after we had set up. The Doors, in fact, were in the middle of a "Sound Check" when he arrived. He took his "Modern" SPL device and he and Siddons walked all over the place testing the distribution. He did not stay for the concert.

Now you ask "Why we didn't record the concert, yet you say that the sound was bad, you could hear it during LMF. Either you are very old and have a really good memory OR more likely you have a bootleg tape made on amature equipment located somewhere in the audience. Based on that likely miserable recording you judge the sound system - With which the Doors were quite happy and Mr. Hanley felt he could not top.

What more can I say. If there was trouble it would have been apparent throughout the performance of every piece, rather than only one. If it was weak or inadequate, Hanley was there with a trailer oad of Equipment, ready to step in and Siddon was just drooling at the thought of proving that I could not do the job. Don't you think that with Hanley, with financial incentive and Siddons generally malicious desire to see anything wrong, things would have been different if my work had not been adequate?

What was used - Many, many Acoustic Amplifiers ringed around the platform and 4 columns standing on each of the 4 corners of the platform. This was driven by about 3600 watts of amplifiers. The mikes were, as always, run through a pair of controls and that output at preamp level drove the power amps. There was one mixer for the drms and one for the pair of audio mikes. As always, instruments and vocals were sent through individual speakers.

Hope that answers all
Vince
cutis

Post by cutis »

Vince,

What were your recollections of this show and particular, Jim Morrison? I mean, this was the HEIGHT of Doors MANIA, if you will, before the Miami downfall.

Were you impressed with Jim's performance at this particular show? I think prior to the Madison Square Garden show, this was the LARGEST audience the Doors every played to!

And when you listen to the audience tape, Jim sounds like he's having a grand time and the audience is laughing at his remarks (when appropriate). This also appears to the first time he read the "Hitler is alive and well" poem to the audience at large. He read the entire piece and when utters the line, "I strattle the fence and my balls hurt!!" the audience laughs out loud!!

Jim really seemed to have a good command over this audience and seemed to enjoy this show. The band also debuted Soft Parade and it sounds like a very good show overall. Do you remember your impressions of this particular show and Jim's performance?
cutis

Post by cutis »

bump
vince

Madison Swuare performance

Post by vince »

I am not sure that I had mentioned in previous responses that the MSG show was the first location where the big speaker columns were used. One on each coerner of the stage.

Hanley, Of Hanley Sound, was called by Siddons, (Without telling me, of course) to do the show. However, he and Bill walked around the Garden with a Sound Level Meter to test the sound during the rehearsals. Hanly never unpacked his truck based on his findings.

My impression of the sow was a huge audience, a lot of fun and Jim was appreciated by the people who were there. It was a relatively good show. ot the best but far from the worst.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors