Going To L.A Next Month Vince?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Going To L.A Next Month Vince?

Post by Stuart »

A Chance for you to meet up with the Guys Vince-

From Idafan.com

"October 3, 2006 Doors return to the Sunset Strip (together)

THIS IS THE BIG NEWS ... the event we have been waiting for! The Doors will get together on Wednesday, November 8th on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood to launch a yearlong celebration of the 40th anniversary. It sounds to be quite a night, one not to be missed! At approximately 8pm, the band will be honored by a plaque unveiling ceremony at the Whisky. The Whisky is getting a "Landmark Plaque" to commemorate its contribution to Rock and Roll history. The evening will be emceed by author Ben Fong-Torres. Throughout the evening, the band members will be available at three Doors-significant locations along a one-block long stretch of the Sunset Strip. Robby will be at the Whisky for a listening party previewing the November 21st release of "Perception." Next door to the Whisky is The Cat Club, the former home of The London Fog. There, Ray will host a mini-version of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame exhibit that opens May 25, 2007. John will be across the street and down the block at Book Soup, formerly the site of the Cinematheque 16 movie house, where he will facilitate a memorial tribute reading of Jim's poetry by Perry Farrell and others. All three band members will be available to sign "The Doors By The Doors," the coffee table book that will be released the previous day, on Tuesday, November 7th. Book sale tables will be at the Whisky and Cat Club. I happen to know that Book Soup is already accepting pre-orders to reserve a copy at the store. The event will be broadcast live by Doors fan & friend Jim Ladd of 95.5 KLOS radio in L.A. This is going to be quite a night. (What an understatement that was!) More details will be added here soon."
vince

Visit LA

Post by vince »

No, I willnotbe there.We in a time crunch with this installation. We are on a vacation and I would have to be there right now if I was going at all.

I notice that the three guys will not be "Together" even though they will all participate in the celebration. I was looking to see that the three of them would really play together and play some of the original sounds.

Too bad.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

i fear that john, robby and ray will not play together anymore. i mean ray and john really don´t seem to be in good spirits. have you read the latest interview with ray? sad thing... :cry:

http://www.idafan.com/ray-suicidegirls.html
vince

John & Ray

Post by vince »

I can only say that this state of affairs is so sad. It hurts me deeply to have Ray be insensitive to John's reasoning.On the other hand, PerhapsJohn is a bit over reacting.I can fully understand Ray's position n the ads in this time frame. I can not understand why John should object when he, ray and Robby were in agreement with the use of Light My Fire for the Buik ad at a time when the Doors certainly needed no recognition.

It is really a sad thing for them to be so estranged.

OK- FOR THE FORUM IN GENERAL- I WILL NOTBE MAKING A TRIP TO LA UNTIL AFTER WE HAVE SOMPLETED INSTALLATION OF THE LATEST ORGAN. NOVEMBER MAYBE, NOT REALLY SURE.

IF I DO GO IT WILLPOST A NOTICE AND MAYBE WE CAN HAVE A TOGETHERNESS THING.

John and Ray- Please, for old times sake, for the memories and relations of past and future, try to mend the fences. I beg you both to make peace and carry the tradition of the doors forward.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
mute_nostril_agony

Post by mute_nostril_agony »

Sad indeed. Might be one fence beyond mending though. Don't remember where I read this, probably Ida's website, but it was not heresay or third party kind of story. It was direct testimony from the trial... Late nineties, Ray was in the hospital with ulcer problems I think. He's laying in his hospital bed reflecting on this long strange trip, feeling remorse for damage done to his relationship with his Doors brother John. He writes a letter to John saying he'd like to mend the fences. Hoping for reconciliation, Ray extended the olive branch and do you know what he received in return... John promptly tossed a copy of Ray's book 'Light My Fire...' into his fireplace, boxed the charred remains and sent them to Ray in the hospital. Nice guy, huh? I don't think Ray will be extending that olive branch again anytime soon. I don't understand John. From your posts Vince, he seems like a pretty good guy and probably the Door you were closest to and remember most fondly. That was then, petty and spiteful seem to be the now, where Ray's concerned anyway. Oh well, hope they manage somehow to enjoy their 40th anniversary celebration. At the very least, keep the squabbling from the public eye and let the fans enjoy it.
vince

The fallout

Post by vince »

Frankly, I am shocked to hear about the letter and John's reaction to it. I know that Ray started the fued by some of the comments he made in his book. He suggested that John wanted Jim out of the band.

Regardless of the validity of that suggestion, it should not have been made public. I have mentioned that John stated he would not play with Jim on stage. That did not say that he wanted Jim out nor that they would not make recordings in the future.

For Ray to acknowledge that things were not well and the offering of appologies was magnanimous. I am surprised, assuming it is true, that John reacted as he did. However, I would like to have some proof of the truth of this matter before making any judgements.

John, on one or two occasions, did get angry on stage and off. He is a drummer. They tend to be high strung. I have a temper. It has been mentioned in some of the books written about the group. Still, John was always the joker of the group. Much less serious than the others. In the end, I cannot forget John's appollogy for the dismissal in 1972. None of the others ever said a thing about it.

The whole affair is sad and needless. We are all people and all have failings. I know we offend on occasion. Appologies do not remove the memory but they do remove the hurt.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Remember, that is Ray's side of the story. I was at the trial. Ray said a lot of things and was caught in many fibs. I respect Ray, but some of the things he said about John on the stand were uncalled for. He said John was happy and said we all got what we deserved on 9/11..I mean what was the point of saying that, and there was no way John could jump up and defend himself. John was polite and so was his wife and all of their friends. He'd stand around and chat or sign for fans, while Ray would go aaaalll the way down the opposite end of the hallway by himself. Even Robby and John would stand around and chat.
mute_nostril_agony

Post by mute_nostril_agony »

I think Ray wrote in his book that Jim wanted John out of the band, and Ray reasoned with Jim that though there may be some personality clashes, John was one helluva drummer and they needed him. I think the first punch was actually thrown by John when he wrote in his book that he and Robby and Jim used to refer to Ray as "the old fart". Ray's comments were retaliation. But that's just the public feud, I'm sure it goes way beyond that. Anyway this is getting depressing, he said she said bs. It's not supposed to be like this. Light My Fire turns 40 soon. Let's celebrate!
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Such a little thing like that surely didn't merit a book full of slander.
Not to mention, Ray WAS 4-7 years older than the others.
nephron

Post by nephron »

I would consider it a success compared to the early Stones vs. Brian Jones. Surely we couldn't expect a single group to really get along with each other all that well for the longrun.

Can anyone name a single group that has stayed together through thick and thin, very few arguments, and who are still together today?

I can't think of one.

Even the Beatles....the 'Experience'...etc. split. Gene Simmons and Paul Stewart didn't get along with Ace Frehley and Peter Criss (sp?). etc., etc.,

You throw the death of Morrison into this mix, the drama and guilt that that involves, and you've got a suddenly precarious situation. Considering that the majority of male-female 2 human being relationships end up in the shitter after coming together because of love, it's not too surprising to me that group members fall apart after coming together for purposes of business. It's kind of like the old adage---never go into business with your friend.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

nephron wrote:Gene Simmons and Paul Stewart didn't get along with Ace Frehley and Peter Criss (sp?). etc., etc.,
I think you mean Paul Stanley?
nephron

Post by nephron »

lol! Yeah. I've got a friend named that--must have slipped.

BTW, I'm reading Riders On The Storm now and am really impressed with John's ability to confer his feelings about the others. Very good book. I thought it would be the least appealing, but it seems to be much more honest than Ray's book.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
cutis

Post by cutis »

I agree with Ray. I think classic rock is definitely inside a museum and there is no more "classic rock" being made. John is stuck in the past and won't allow his bandmates to continue performing "classic rock" using the
Doors name and spreading it to a new generation. The lawsuit by John was spiteful. Musicians who love music want to do nothing more than perform their craft. Robbie loves to play music. Ray loves to play music. And they want to continue to play Doors music. If John doesn't want to be party to that, than stay home. To sue was egregious behavior on his part. John's being a real jerk.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.
Play all you want, but try and cash in on the name and you're worthless.
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

When JOHN and Robby continued after Full Circle, they billed themselves as the Butts Band . They didn't do anything stupid like calling themselves the New Doors . Now that RAY and Robby are doing something together, the same rule ought to apply. They also had an agreement in early 1971 , not to use the name unless everyone was involved or deceased as the case may be.
nephron

Post by nephron »

IMO, John is the man. That guy may be the one who REALLY respected and cared for Jim, in a very 'repressed' way. His actions speak volumes. Although there was obviously this 'love-hate' relationship whilst the band was up and running, John's the only one not trying to cash in. I really respect him for not screwing up the 'purity' of the Doors thing. The Doors existed in the late sixties and early seventies, and never will again. End of story.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

ok, ok!

- but how does he look?

We need a thread on how Densmore looks. You´ve described Krieger.
We`s just joy-ridin'
nephron

Post by nephron »

A description of Densmore's appearance has been done (for your pleasure), but pales in comparison to a potential description of your inability to move on from one topic to another.

Either you stop the Heroin, the smack or the crack, or I'll have to jerk you out of that stinky basement lair you've been fermenting in and force-feed you Ritalin until you come around.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

ok ok

- but how does Manzarek look?
We`s just joy-ridin'
Snakeskin

Post by Snakeskin »

I think Ray look pretty good. Considering that he is 67.
Ray has aged pretty good.
nephron

Post by nephron »

I'd say Ray is just your type, Ham. Why don't you tell us?
RayMan

Post by RayMan »

I am going to the Sunset Strip to get that (hopefully) fantastic new book, see the three Doors unveil the plaque at the Whiskey and forget about the politics. I even hope to meet John who I've had some very unkind words for in recent times. I do have one of his drum sticks from Storytellers, given to me by an individual who put the show together. I am not sure if it really is John's drumstick but now I will have a chance to verify it, as I never got around to posting the question on John's board. I did not buy it on Ebay. It's a night to forget all the rancor and come together and celebrate one of the greatest bands of all time. I am really excited. Maybe we could meet up Vince if you come to LA and I can show you my beloved Gibson G101, or you could come to one of our Peace Frog shows.

John
knowidea

Post by knowidea »

mute_nostril_agony wrote:Sad indeed. Might be one fence beyond mending though. Don't remember where I read this, probably Ida's website, but it was not heresay or third party kind of story. It was direct testimony from the trial... Late nineties, Ray was in the hospital with ulcer problems I think. He's laying in his hospital bed reflecting on this long strange trip, feeling remorse for damage done to his relationship with his Doors brother John. He writes a letter to John saying he'd like to mend the fences. Hoping for reconciliation, Ray extended the olive branch and do you know what he received in return... John promptly tossed a copy of Ray's book 'Light My Fire...' into his fireplace, boxed the charred remains and sent them to Ray in the hospital. Nice guy, huh? I don't think Ray will be extending that olive branch again anytime soon. I don't understand John. From your posts Vince, he seems like a pretty good guy and probably the Door you were closest to and remember most fondly. That was then, petty and spiteful seem to be the now, where Ray's concerned anyway. Oh well, hope they manage somehow to enjoy their 40th anniversary celebration. At the very least, keep the squabbling from the public eye and let the fans enjoy it.
There is much missing from this story. The context of it does not take into account many factors. Maybe someday they will all come out.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Don't worry, the majority of us over here have a good understanding of the reality of the situation.