Billy Idol

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Billy Idol

Post by Stuart »

Hi Vince, Did you get a chance to chat with Billy Idol who plays"Cat" in the movie at all? what did you think of him?.

I love his version of L.A. WOMAN!!.
vince

Though Shall Not Make Graven Images (Idol)

Post by vince »

Well, He was "In the fast track" for sure. Yes I met him. I was introduced as one of the living fossils who really did know Jim.

Billy was good on set. Cat, of course did not really exist. He was another invention of Stone. But he was arrogant. He had little time for anyone but the top level of the ultra-ultra. He was a bit demanding regards dressing rooms and perks that went with it. Not a bad sort but the kind of person that behaved as he thought proper for celebrities. Big Ego, demanding, condescending, overbearing, insulting.

Unlike Meryl Streepp and a few others I have met,
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
BeautifulJim

Re: Though Shall Not Make Graven Images (Idol)

Post by BeautifulJim »

I was introduced as one of the living fossils who really did know Jim.
Bwahahahaha!!! "living fossil". I would rather say you are a "living legend", no?? :)
vince

Legends

Post by vince »

Well, Maybe so. But if I am the credits goes to those on the Forum and the many people I met during my time with the Doors wo have made me so.

I did my job to the best of my abilities. Compared to the shows that go on the road today, I had a very easy job of it. I can also give a lot of credit to those unsung heroes who gave of their time and muscle - the Band Boys.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

Mr. Treanor, i think you are pretty modest...
vince

Post by vince »

My, Beautiful Jim, I did not at first realize where you are.

Writing in English - and you are in Quebec... Aren't you in danger of being burned at the stake???

Did you know that one of the oldest and largest remaining organ builders are located in St. Hycenthe (sp).

I see the "Reviews that are put on as stage shows today and think of the enormous amount of equipment that is involved. Not to mention the size of the crew and stage that must be involved as well.

I wonder how they make any money but I suppose the music viceos, sale items, and ticket sales take care of that. You xan see in the Forum that the tickets for the Doors Concerts were mess than $10.00 for a really good seat. I can't imagine what tickets must cost today. If movies are at $10.00 (or more)

We hade everything in one GMC step van. Today they have several 40' trailers full of equipment. <aybe they hire the sound people. In any case, the promotor pays and so do the fans. It has become a high tech, brutal job and for the crews involved it is just work - unless they are attached to the group.

I think that is the difference. We were part of the group. It was close and friendly. WEith al the dancers, light crew, sound crew, costumers, equipment crew... you are just working for a traveling musical extravaganda.

Anyway, compared to today's incredibly complex set-ups, we had it very easy.

Thanks for your posting.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
BeautifulJim

Re: Location

Post by BeautifulJim »

vince wrote:My, Beautiful Jim, I did not at first realize where you are.

Writing in English - and you are in Quebec... Aren't you in danger of being burned at the stake???

Did you know that one of the oldest and largest remaining organ builders are located in St. Hycenthe (sp).

Thanks for your posting.
Mr. Treanor, first i had to check in my dictionary what "burned at the stake" means and i'm not sure i really understand...... :) Are you saying i should not speak (or write) english in the french Québec? If it is, i'm really surprised to see you know about Québec's politic reality inside english Canada.... Am i right??

Second, i sincerely didn't know the oldest and largest remaining organ builders are located in Ste-Hyacinthe.....
Can you give me some names??

Concerning the prices of the tickets to see a concert around here, today, i can give you an example. A couple of months ago, i went to see a concert of Madonna here in Montréal and it cost me 435$can for 3 tickets for my two daughters and me..........Not because i love Madonna but......what wouldn't i do to please my daughters............ :shock:

In my opinion, everybody do their money with concerts today.

I want to tell you i'm touch that you take time to reply to my posts...........and that i'm surprised you are able to understand my crap english........

Regards.

Suzanne.
jim4371

Re: Location

Post by jim4371 »

vince wrote: I see the "Reviews that are put on as stage shows today and think of the enormous amount of equipment that is involved. Not to mention the size of the crew and stage that must be involved as well.

I wonder how they make any money but I suppose the music viceos, sale items, and ticket sales take care of that. You xan see in the Forum that the tickets for the Doors Concerts were mess than $10.00 for a really good seat. I can't imagine what tickets must cost today. If movies are at $10.00 (or more)
Visuals take up way more of the setup than sound nowadays.
You haven't seen anything until you've seen a stagehand scaling a 30' rope ladder to attach a 100' wide tapestry to a scaffold via a quick release, to drop when the band takes the stage.

Regarding ticket prices, I paid $77 a ticket to see D21C in 2004.
You can get backstage and meet the band for $200-$500 usually.
Most other concerts are around $45 a ticket.
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

Mr Treanor, of course i know Casavant organs builders!!!!! Thank you to remind me... When i was young, i learned classic piano and one day, my parents bought a Casavant organ and i've tried to learn to play this complicated instrument..........Well, i came back to my classic piano very soon after this try..........I like the sound of organs but don't ask me to play organ!!!!!

Claver and Samuel Casavant (the two sons of Joseph Casavant), founded Casavant Frères in 1879. Today, Casavant Frères is the oldest continuing North American pipe organs building. Like you said, the Casavant family doesn't manage the entreprise anymore but the new president manage it the way Casavant family were asking for. Yes, it is a bit sad but the enterprise is still well alive and continue to be the North America reference in organs building.
The majority of the Casavant Frères pipe organs built today are two or three manual instruments for installation in churches and academic institutions as well as some bigger instruments conceived for largest churchs and concert halls.

A few of their realizations:

Birmingham Methodist Church, Alabama

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

First Casavant organ - 1880

Now, i think we are totally off-topic, no?? Billy Idol and organs!!!!! What's the link???? :)

So, England wanted to get rid of Canada??? What did happen?? US refused to have us???? Well, England didn't want Canada, Canada didn't want to be subordinated to England, US didn't want Canada and now, Québec don't want to be part of Canada and many American people come to Canada because they want to run away from Bush.............What a mess!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Regards.

Suzanne