Robby's black eye on Smothers Bros.: Conflicting accounts

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jim4371

Robby's black eye on Smothers Bros.: Conflicting accounts

Post by jim4371 »

I know this gets asked a lot, most people just take for granted Ray's 'rednecks in a bar' explanation on a DVD commentary, but Robby said for years that Jimbo gave it to him personally, and somebody else at one point (John maybe?) said it was the result of a car accident, so the whole thing is still kinda unsure, so I ask you, Vince, do you recall what happened here?
vince

They got a black eye

Post by vince »

Hi Jim.... Jim??, Hhmm.

Well, the S.B. show was done - if I recall correctly, before I came with the boys. However, I would attribute this eye to a driving accident. Robby did like fast cars.

Think about what would happen if Jim hit him... Would that not have ended the show at that point. Also, Jim was not a physically violent person. He was very rowdy when he drank - Very. But he did not get into fights. His violence was usually taken out on material things.

Rednecks in a bar. Well it is possible but I would take John's exolanation over any other. John and Robbie were the straight talkers. If it was Jim, John would have told that in a heartbeat.

Sorry I could not dispell the mists of mythology on this one.

thanks for your visit to the board, Not your first and hopefully I didn't make it your last.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Well, I got my book out in LA on Wednesday, taking a look at it now, something interesting on pg. 155:
Krieger, who appeared on the show with a whopping black (left) eye, previously explained it away as the result of a fight with some rednecks. "I was protecting Jim from some bad guys," he said. Now, he admits, he told that tale "because it sounded better. It actually was an auto accident."
nephron

Post by nephron »

I believe, on the 'Collection' DVD commentary, Robbie said he stepped in the way of a punch intended for Jim.
"People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."--Einstein on the death of a friend.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

No, Ray made up that bullshit story.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Re: Robby's Black Eye

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

vince wrote:Hi Jim.... Jim??, Hhmm.
Well, the S.B. show was done - if I recall correctly, before I came with the boys. However, I would attribute this eye to a driving accident. Robby did like fast cars.
You're right Vince. I'm listening now to a radio show, 'Off The Record' (show# 06-47), and Robby says himself that he was involved in a bad accident and hit his Eye on the Stearing Wheel.

Oh, and Happy New Year to you. 8)

Dan