Not too Rare, but im still curious.....

What Doors items do you have in your collection?

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

what_A_trip67-71

Not too Rare, but im still curious.....

Post by what_A_trip67-71 »

I recently bought two doors albums on ebay(for display purposes), The Doors s/t, and Waiting For the Sun. Paid $12.99 altogether for the both.

They arrive today and low and behold The Doors s/t is a Mono copy!

I was wondering if you guys could help me determine the rarity, value, and estimated release date of this version(ive heard there are two mono versions..... Heres the specs-

Front cover reads: EKL-4007
(Mono)

Alabama Song is credited to (Weill-Brecht, Witmark ASCAP)

Light my fire is 6:50 long.

Copyright Nipper Music ASCAP.

On the record label itself- (The label's color appears to an olive/bronze-ish color)

EKL-4007-A
Side One

*It does not say mono on the label*

flip side-

EKL-4007-B
Side two

*again, does not say mono*

The record was inclosed in a ATCO CATALOGUE sleeve, but the seller also sent what i beleive to be the original sleeve, orange and brown with a checkered E pattern. Am i correct on this assumption.

Cover- Vg+ (ringwear)
Vinyl- Vg +

thanks in advance for any info you can supply! 8)
they are the ones who will rule the world
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Re: Not too Rare, but im still curious.....

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

what_A_trip67-71 wrote: Alabama Song is credited to (Weill-Brecht, Witmark ASCAP)
That's normal on both the Mono and Stereo pressings.
what_A_trip67-71 wrote:Light my fire is 6:50 long.
The label on both the Mono and Stereo pressings indicate 6:30 but the Jackets indicate 6:50. Again, this is normal.
what_A_trip67-71 wrote:On the record label itself- (The label's color appears to an olive/bronze-ish color).
I have seen both the Mono and Stereo copies (I have the Stereo) in this color and again, this is normal.
what_A_trip67-71 wrote:EKL-4007-A
Side One

*It does not say mono on the label*

flip side-

EKL-4007-B
Side two

*again, does not say mono*
Never saw this before. Might be a rare printed label.
what_A_trip67-71 wrote:but the seller also sent what i beleive to be the original sleeve, orange and brown with a checkered E pattern. Am i correct on this assumption.*
Yes, you are correct. Both the Mono and Stereo early pressings of the doors S/T had this type of sleeve.
If you can, scan or take a pic. Would be interesting to see. Might be a Canadian Mono press.

Dan
what_A_trip67-71

very interesting. Until i can get a picture up, perhaps you guys can help me unravel this a little more.

Im now exploring the possiblity that this is in fact a stereo recording inside a mono jacket. Is there and sure-fire way to tell if the vinyl itself is mono?(any markings, etc...)

any other info is appreciated.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

It's actually not rare to see the label without the big bold MONO.
I have one, or two, can't remember.
Sometimes stereo pressings were put in mono jackets with or without a stereo sticker on the front, but if the cat. number is EKL-4007, a unique identifier, it is mono.
You can also look at the matrix numbers in the dead wax, which will say something like EKL-4007-A/B.
what_A_trip67-71

thanks for the info jim. It appears i just have a copy that was without a mono marking, even though it is indeed mono.

so there is no real rarity/price difference in a copy w/mono on the label and a copy without?
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

what_A_trip67-71 wrote: so there is no real rarity/price difference in a copy w/mono on the label and a copy without?
I wouldn't think so, IMO. Maybe Jim43 has additional info.

When it comes to a doors record's worth, I've always said it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.