Jim's home

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

hardrockcafe

Jim's home

Post by hardrockcafe »

Hi Vince,

Much has been written about how Morrison stayed at the Alta Cienega Motel in room #32 1968-1970. I even read somewhere that he Met Mick Jagger at this motel before Hollywood Bowl. Is that true or an urban legend? Was this motel really his permanent home for a couple of years or did he just often crash there?

It seems as though he would have had a house or apartment elsewhere just to house his books and wardrobe, which a small motel room wouldn't really accomodate to well.

Did Jim also own property?
Moses

Probably Jim wasn't into having stuff/stuff having him.

Post by Moses »

Whisky Whisky Whisky I wish I could be with ye, but my friends are Whisky Whisky Whisky.

I'M proud of the time I spent posting on The Doors official board and very grateful to have been publicly banned.
mikesline

Post by mikesline »

jim and pam also lived in laurel canyon just behind the liquor store
this is what jim sang about in "love street"
StrangeNightOfStone

Re: Probably Jim wasn't into having stuff/stuff having him.

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Is it expensive to rent out Jim's room?
One of these days I'd like to visit LA, take the 'Doors tour' (if such a thing is offered), and stay in his hotel room for a few nights...
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

It is about 75 a night + tax. Not a bad deal being so close to Sunset Strip. And many of the Doors haunts venues are in walking distance. Laurel Canyon is just a short drive also. His house on Norton Ave. is/was about $250 a night. I do not think they are renting that one out any longer though.

It is pretty cool the first time around...you really have to be a fan to stay in that place I must say-- I suggest that one brings their own bath-towels and possibly sheets (it is hit or miss).

The entire hotel is in shit crap condition. The owners have not kept it up whatsoever. It needs a good cleaning and a bombing for bugs..ants in particular. And the shower.....oh my....

There is a "Doors Tour" You can pay Cheri Woods (the owner of the 'Last US home of JDM' or download a tour-guide from geocites or Idafan.

They changed the sign on the door...the pic in this thread shows a while one with dates. Now is it on a black sign and the dates are no longer there, just his name.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

I stayed there one night and couldn't get myself to shower in room 32. :| Gross.