Shows that shine as Ray, John & Robby's best performance

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

StrangeNightOfStone

Shows that shine as Ray, John & Robby's best performance

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Usually when we judge whether or not a Doors performance was spectacular..or abysmal -it usually hinges on Jim's vocal....

But there have been shows where Jim was ON..but the rest of the band had an OFF night....like Ray and Robby derailing 'Wild Child' at the Felt Forum.....And there have been shows where Jim was giving a terrible performance...but the rest of the band was spot on...like Seattle '70.

If you were to pick the best BMR releases & any other Doors shows that you would cite as Ray's best performance, Robby's best performance, and/or John's best performance...which shows would you pick? And they don't all have to be at their best at the same time....

my picks-

Jim- best vocal- Danish tv & Matrix

John-best drumming- Isle of wight & Roundhouse

Robby- best guitar- Stockholm & Felt Forum (But he dropped the ball on 'Wild Child')

Ray- best organ playing- Matrix, Avalon & Back Bay Theatre
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

The band was on fire for the Boston '70 shows.
StrangeNightOfStone

wha happened wrote:The band was on fire for the Boston '70 shows.
You don't think it was a weak showing for all 4 Doors? What were the high points?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

As a whole, yes the late show was a disaster, but listen to Robby for instance. It seems like when Jim was piss poor, the band stepped it up.
StrangeNightOfStone

wha happened wrote:As a whole, yes the late show was a disaster, but listen to Robby for instance. It seems like when Jim was piss poor, the band stepped it up.
i think that's also what happened in Seattle '70
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Yes Seattle was another. BOT would have been a killer instrumental version.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

wha happened wrote:As a whole, yes the late show was a disaster, but listen to Robby for instance. It seems like when Jim was piss poor, the band stepped it up.
Completely agree. That is why I rate Boston pretty high because the band was "on" and Robby really was feeling it that night.
StrangeNightOfStone

midnightx wrote:
Completely agree. That is why I rate Boston pretty high because the band was "on" and Robby really was feeling it that night.

Any shows where Jim was ON, but the band fell apart?
StrangeNightOfStone

I know Isle of Wight gets a bad rap..but I think John was amazing..particularly during LMF.....Some have said Robby was out of tune...which tracks?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Robby was struggling to stay in tune on The End, I can barely listen to it.
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I always felt the other 3 shined best at Amsterdam when they had to play without Jim. It was clear they were determined to play their best under the circumstances.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
StrangeNightOfStone

MysticHeatedWine wrote:I always felt the other 3 shined best at Amsterdam when they had to play without Jim. It was clear they were determined to play their best under the circumstances.

Instrumentally they were fine...I just can't handle Ray singing...
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

to me ray always sounded like an old rock n roller singing, like a polish jerry lee lewis....i swear, one time i heard jerry lee sing "High heel sneakers" and i thought he sounded just like ray....really, ray sounds like jerry lee on a bad night...lol...i kinda enjoy rays singing at times, it adds a air of absurdness to it all,( is that a word?) how he always messes up and starts rap'n, kinda like what he still does with ROS band, very goofy... i dunno i like all kinds of music so maybe i'm confused...lol
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Rosetta Stone?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Sometimes it sounds as though Ray is singing to himself. It's as though his fingers are on autopilot, and he has become an audience member completely caught up in the performance. He's singing along, completely oblivious to the fact that his mic is on.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

hahaha
hourformagic

Post by hourformagic »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Sometimes it sounds as though Ray is singing to himself. It's as though his fingers are on autopilot, and he has become an audience member completely caught up in the performance. He's singing along, completely oblivious to the fact that his mic is on.
LOL.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

ray ain't that bad, he just don't have the screaming ray daniels in him any more...
spyma2

Post by spyma2 »

Long Beach 2-7-70 one of my favorites from 1970, the whole band especially Jim is on. Unfortunately Jim's voice is hoarse, but he is putting on a hell of a performance. Great dialoge with the audience as well. Too bad this show is'nt complete between the 2 circulating audience recordings. The Spy and Blue Sunday are just beautiful!!!! It's amazing that on the distant lesser quality recording Jim's voice does'nt sound hoarse at all during The Spy, and on the the other recording not only is his voice hoarse but Jim sounds like he has a cold.