Jim and Nico

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Oberon

Jim and Nico

Post by Oberon »

Hello everyone,

Vince, it's very refreshing to read someone speaking the truth with regards to Jim, the band, and life with the doors in general. Much has been said over the years and I always wondered what was true and what was blatant exaggeration. It seems that The Doors, and more specifically, Jim, has taken on a life of it's own over the years---many tales circulating around with Jim becoming some sort of mystical figure, rather than an actual human with all the associated foibles... Keep up the great "work". I have nothing but support for your efforts.

If you have the time, could you please elaborate on Jim's relationship with Nico? I have heard a few tales and always wanted to know something more about this aspect of Jim/Nico's life. Was it fact or fantasy? I have heard a version of the story told by Danny Sugerman, but it's pretty sketchy at best. Any truth that Nico introduced Jim to his heroin habit?

Best Regards,

Oberon
vince

Nico

Post by vince »

To be honest with you I know little or nothing of this person. Pan was am addict when Jim met her. It is likely that it was Pam that influenced Jim more than anyone else as far as Heroine was concerned. He was living with her and could hardly ignore what was going on.

Sorry about Nico. Keep in mind that I did not associate with any of the Group unless on special occasion when on tour. I do make clear that I would not want to comment too much about their personal life in any case. It is their business and must be respected. Behavior in association with the Group and related activities is public.

Thanks for your writing.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Oberon

Post by Oberon »

Vince, thanks for your reply. Not sure if you have heard them already, but you might be interested in Nico's albums --- Chelsea Girls; The Marble Index; The Desertshore etc. Nico plays some great harmonium on them --- check them out.
vince

Mico

Post by vince »

Hello Oberon:

Interesting about Mico. I have not heard the recording you referred to and it is unlikely I will since I do not listen to Rock Music.

I became interested in the Doors because of their unusual orchestration. Of course, the words were a bit wierd as well.

I had a lot of opportunity to go with other groups during and after the Doors closed. Let me put it simply, They were not The Doors.

You mention a Harmonium - This is a type of organ that make sound by passing air through brass reeds. A Melodion sucks air through the reeds into the sound box. A Harmonium uses air pressure from within and blows the air outward, just as in organ pipes.

Did you mean what people in the US call a harmonica, which is a type of harmonium but wind is provided by the player from their mouth. It is sometimes referred to as a mouth organ.

Interesteng.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Oberon

Post by Oberon »

Hi Vince,

Sorry for the late reply, I just moved house and have been painting etc. You can rest assured, Nico's music isn't rock'n'roll, it's has more of a medieval sound to it. I'm not all that keen about putting labels on music, so you will have to decided for yourself.

Nico did indeed play the harmonium - European foot pumped organ - throughout most of her recordings; not the harmonica. I really think the music would be right up your alley - do yourself a favour - you wont be disappointed. I'm really surprised you haven't heard her albums already.

Check out this site about her music, life, death etc. http://smironne.free.fr/NICO/ You can get all the albums at Amazon.com for a very reasonable price - a steal!

Cheers,

Steve
vince

NICO & HARMONIUM

Post by vince »

Sorry for the delayed answer.

You should see a really antique harmonium. they had 2 manuals and pedal, just like a full pipe organ. There were usually about 10 stops sometimes as many as 15 in big ones.

The Harmoniums that were collosal were made by Mason & Hamlin in the US. The pressure -or blown - Harmoniums had a really lovely sound. These were also used by several groups in Hollywood. Modern Music rentals had three of them that were often used.

Many of the reed organ in Europe were also pressure type.

Today there are collectors for these things. They are really wonderful to play and have quite a variety of sound.

There we are :)
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Oberon

Post by Oberon »

Hi Vince,

I completely agree. There is nothing like the sound of the harmonium. I'm not sure what it is, but there is something about that whistley, trembling sound they make that connects with your very being. Beautiful.

My brother bought one about 20 years ago and often plays it on special occasions, or when we have a few drinks and a sing... And yes, we even try and play the odd Doors song or two at times. Well, it's the thought that counts at least... :wink: :lol: 8)

Where I am, lots of churches have these pressure type organs installed, many are US and European manufactured. Some are a combination of harmonium and pipe organ. They are these massive impressive structures that are well over 20 feet tall.

Apparently some of the notes are blocked on them, or limited, because of the structural damage they would inflict if someone went to sleep on the keyboard - talk about bringing the house down. It's just too bad they are all located in churches...I haven't been to church since my Catholic School days.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I wish you all the best. I'll pose a few more questions to you when I have more time and think of something worthy to ask you. Although many have already asked the questions most upper on my mind. Peace and love, peace and love, peace and looooove. :wink: 8)

Best Wishes,

Steve
Snakeskin

Post by Snakeskin »

Oberon wrote:Vince, thanks for your reply. Not sure if you have heard them already, but you might be interested in Nico's albums --- Chelsea Girls; The Marble Index; The Desertshore etc. Nico plays some great harmonium on them --- check them out.
By the way Vince, her name was Pam..I see that you keep typing Pan. Is that a typing error.???? Nico and Jim
ha ha ha read stories who know if they are true..
vince

Post by vince »

Yes, It was Pam - typo. However, a rose by any other name smells as sweet - or in this case, is as destructive.

I have not heard of Nico or his albums.

Any story I tell you can bet is true. It is the ones I do not tell that are scandelous. But they also are true and that is why I don't tell them.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Oberon

Post by Oberon »

BTW: Sorry I missed your live chat session... I hope you have another one some time in the not too distant future - I'll join the next one for sure.

Regards,

Steve
vince

CHAT

Post by vince »

Thanks Oberon

I am usually on between 10PM and 01:00 AM saturday night Korean time. I know for some people that is really late or early but it is the only time I have to myself except Sunday morning. 10:00 and spotty during the day.

Guy should post the best times and then try to match those times with cycles of wake and sleep.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Oberon

Post by Oberon »

Long time no read. I'm slowly catching up on al the new posts here. I've been away on holidays recharging my batteries --- getting back to the sea and nature -- getting away from the rat race. Hope you are doing well.

Some of the posts here are none too flattering -- each to his own. Keep your chin up, Vince! 8) You'll always get those types that are more interested in deluding themselves --- defending the fantasy. Most rational, intelligent people enjoy the plain truth about, Jim etc. You have changed my perspective for the better, and I thank you for that. Keep up the great work!

Long live the Freedom Man! :D

Sincerely,

Steve
vince

Posting and such

Post by vince »

I have not seen many posts lately. I understand that there is activity in a new section of the site. Yes, some of the postings are not so nice but that gives insight into the writers mental state.

On a couple of occasions I got pretty upset and perhaps a bit vitriolic. That was not in good taste. Now, let them say what they want. History cannot be changed by nasty comments about me or anyone else.

Thanks for your support. People like you who are really interested in the group make it all worthwhile

Vince
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors