Original John Sebastian Tracks [MP3 Download]

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Porsche

Original John Sebastian Tracks [MP3 Download]

Post by Porsche »

Ever since it was first announced, there's been some discussion about Bruce Botnick needing to overdub John Sebastian's harmonica part on 3 songs during the 18th Late Show on the 'Live In New York' box set. As Botnick explained several months ago, Sebastian's microphone wasn't being recorded that night and his harmonica is not present on the original master tapes. This is why Sebastian was brought in to recreate his performance in the studio.

Now that 'Live In New York' has officially been released and people start listening to it for the first time, it's likely some fans will want to hear these songs as they were originally performed to compare to the recreated versions. Thankfully, there was someone in the crowd recording the concert who captured the original 3 songs on tape. Below you'll find a link to download them in mp3 format. This same recording was used by Botnick and Sebastian as a guide to help them recreate the performance for the official release.

Download Link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tz36ie

Personally, I think Botnick and Sebastian did a great job with the overdubs. But that's just one opinion. Use this thread to tell us what you think of the originals versus the overdubs.
StrangeNightOfStone

Re: Original John Sebastian Tracks [MP3 Download]

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Thanks for the link!
Personally, I'm glad they brought in J Sebastian to do the overdubs...It's quite flawless...And I'm glad they make it possible to hear the material without Sebastian's overdubs.

Hopefully the Doors will now have John Densmore dub in his missing bits on that Winterland show.....And have the unaltered version available on a similar link...
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Thanks for the link!
Personally, I'm glad they brought in J Sebastian to do the overdubs...It's quite flawless...And I'm glad they make it possible to hear the material without Sebastian's overdubs.

Hopefully the Doors will now have John Densmore dub in his missing bits on that Winterland show.....And have the unaltered version available on a similar link...
+1
This is a show that cannot be left collecting dust on the shelf.

ps: thanks for the files Len! I remember the times when I was looking for these tracks (especially Goin' to NY). Hard to get stuff on those days... Tomorrow, hopefully I will get my Felt Forum box. Different times we live these days :D !
Yardbird

Post by Yardbird »

Porsche wrote:Ever since it was first announced, there's been some discussion about Bruce Botnick needing to overdub John Sebastian's harmonica part on 3 songs during the 18th Late Show on the 'Live In New York' box set. As Botnick explained several months ago, Sebastian's microphone wasn't being recorded that night and his harmonica is not present on the original master tapes. This is why Sebastian was brought in to recreate his performance in the studio.

Now that 'Live In New York' has officially been released and people start listening to it for the first time, it's likely some fans will want to hear these songs as they were originally performed to compare to the recreated versions. Thankfully, there was someone in the crowd recording the concert who captured the original 3 songs on tape. Below you'll find a link to download them in mp3 format. This same recording was used by Botnick and Sebastian as a guide to help them recreate the performance for the official release.

Download Link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tz36ie

Personally, I think Botnick and Sebastian did a great job with the overdubs. But that's just one opinion. Use this thread to tell us what you think of the originals versus the overdubs.
Thanks for the link!!!!!!!
Desmorado

Post by Desmorado »

Thank You very much :D
floricou

Post by floricou »

Many thanks, I still waiting for my box set...
Buda

Post by Buda »

Thanks for the link! I think this solution finally testifies of what the BM label is able to pull off if they really want - an almost note to note perfected copy of the orig. performance that I'd have opposed in other circumstances but here it's just works amazingly. Better than the other solution could have been, namely if they wouldn't rerecord Bach's play in order to keep the recording 100% authentic.
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Nice. Thanks. :D
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
coopenstein

Post by coopenstein »

Thank You for this! :D
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I have never understand that overdub story!

"Goin' to New York" on the Stages Boxset seems to have the original John Sebastian harmonica....
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Hugo wrote:I have never understand that overdub story!

"Goin' to New York" on the Stages Boxset seems to have the original John Sebastian harmonica....
It's an audience recording, that recording was used as a pattern
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com