Msg 69

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

shakey

Msg 69

Post by shakey »

Why was this not proffessionally recorded? Baring in mind it was a one off with orchestration.All i have are a coupla tracks and some silent footage.
Is it too much to believe there could be something more complete?
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

It's such a great show too, Jim was in a great mood and had the audience in stitches. It's a shame they didn't record it. First rock band to play at MSG, 20,000 fans and they didn't record it?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Cream played there before the Doors did. I think a few other bands, too.
Buda

Post by Buda »

DalloLama wrote:It's such a great show too, Jim was in a great mood and had the audience in stitches. It's a shame they didn't record it. First rock band to play at MSG, 20,000 fans and they didn't record it?
I think partly Jim's then current behaviour can explain why wasn't such a big urge to record this undoubtedly great night. The band and co. were just happy if Jim would show up and do a decent show. They couldn't even think about a stellar performance so that they should record it professionally. On the other hand, taking into account the dough this might have needed might have also played a factor. Having said that, I do think the idea has been brought up either by Rotchild or Holzman but been delayed as we all know. I think they saw this gig as a big rehearsal and eventually decided they will have the chance like this later on during the tour (that never occured).
StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

LA Forum '68 and MSG '69 gave us a glimpse of what the setlists of most '69 setlists would have been like had the '69 tour not been cancelled due to Miami. It would be nice to have *crisp* soundboard recordings of live versions of 'The Soft Parade', 'Who Scared You' and Tell All The People'.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Still no evidence but from a previous thread in this forum it has been talked that some soundboards from '69 may exist: 07/26/69 Eugene, OR; 07/27/69 Woodinville, WA; 09/14/69 Montreal, QC, CAN. As far as I know the first two were open air festivals and we know (based on Toronto '69 and Isle of Wight '70) that in these shows the setlists included usually old songs. I guess it's not impossible.
MajorMojo

Re: Msg 69

Post by MajorMojo »

shakey wrote:Why was this not proffessionally recorded? Baring in mind it was a one off with orchestration.All i have are a coupla tracks and some silent footage.
Didn't MSG recently announce a stash of concert recording made at the venue? Connected with the "MSG channel" I think since they also referred to footage like Elvis 72 that nobody had seen.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

MajorMojo wrote:
shakey wrote:Why was this not proffessionally recorded? Baring in mind it was a one off with orchestration.All i have are a coupla tracks and some silent footage.
Didn't MSG recently announce a stash of concert recording made at the venue? Connected with the "MSG channel" I think since they also referred to footage like Elvis 72 that nobody had seen.
:shock:
Any source for this?
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

Silver Forest wrote:
MajorMojo wrote:
Any source for this?
They have mentioned having 90,000 videotapes of Madison Square Garden events dating back to 1969. Most are sports. It's a bit vague if events means concerts or Boxing/WWF.
cutis

Post by cutis »

But wouldn't Vince be able to confirm if a professional or at least soundboard recording was being done at the MSG gig? I think he was asked this question on the forum and he couldn't recall any soundboard being done. Then again, Vince is getting on in years and I'm sure he couldn't possibly remember anymore what shows might have been recorded through the soundboard and those that weren't.

MajorMojo wrote:
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

MajorMojo wrote:
Silver Forest wrote:
MajorMojo wrote: Didn't MSG recently announce a stash of concert recording made at the venue? Connected with the "MSG channel" I think since they also referred to footage like Elvis 72 that nobody had seen.
Any source for this?
They have mentioned having 90,000 videotapes of Madison Square Garden events dating back to 1969. Most are sports. It's a bit vague if events means concerts or Boxing/WWF.
Thanks for additional details but who are "They"? Did you read this on a particular newspaper, forum or website?
Well, "video", especially on those days, is probably no more than a few minutes. Of course it would be still interesting to see, depending on the quality, but it's not as interesting as a complete soundboard recording.

We have a short medium quality amount of video footage and a listenable audience recording from this 1969 show. Based on these items and because of the setlist, the eventual existence of a soundboard would be tremendous. Unfortunately there's still nothing solid to indicate this tape exists.
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

MSG Network in NYC and their "Vault" program. I think they have had "top 100 MSG concerts of all time" programs to break up the wall to wall sports programming.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Thanks. Nice info :)

I found this and indeed it seems plausible that there's some great stuff in there:
http://pv.msgnetwork.com/vault.jsp

I found this footage from Elvis at MSG, 1972: the sound is impressive and although captured from what it seems a fixed camera image is very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkRuq8sz-I8

I don't know if this is from the MSG vaults but if it is I think we Doorscores would be very happy with some of minutes of the '69 show even if the original sound would not be as good as this one.
_Devoid_

Post by _Devoid_ »

i don't know if anyone is interested, but I'm syncing some portions of MSG b/w footage with audio from that show
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

I am! Let us know how it goes.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Me too! I'm crossing my fingers for all the portions be synched though I know how hard work that means..
_Devoid_

Post by _Devoid_ »

it's a hard work because i don't have an HQ copy of this footage and because the audience recording is poor.
By the way I've synced 30 seconds of The Soft Parade and almost for sure there is more footage to be synced of that song.
I will update you
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Devoid, I will try to sync it too, so we'll see how it goes. :wink:
_Devoid_

Post by _Devoid_ »

Lost Prophet wrote:Devoid, I will try to sync it too, so we'll see how it goes. :wink:
I'm currently working on it, it's very hard. Also because the quality is not so good,anyway... something could be done
coltturkey01

Post by coltturkey01 »

MSG was a great one, I loved the Soft Parade Version very much