Drummers

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Drummers

Post by jamestkirk »

Are there any drummers from the days of Sons of Adam or Love that you got to hear that you particularly admired?

As you are in my top ten, a few of mine and yours were Dewey Martin, Densmore and Conka (in my imagination, as I never heard him).

Did you ever get to hear Ed Cassidy of Spirit...he is a particular favorite...his style is quite unique.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

drummers

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I never heard Ed live in concert, but the sound he gets in the studio is just what the doctor ordered. He hears the music and plays what's appropriate.

Little Richard's drummer, Earl Palmer, was my guiding light. Then, in the early sixties, I started listening to jazz artists Max Roach, Elvin Jones, and Joe Morello.

I still love the drumming associated with the rocking blues bands of the mid-to-late sixties, like Mick Fleetwood and the original Fleetwood Mac (when it was an all-boy band and they could ROCK). I dig the driving musical drumming like on the early Procol Harum recordings with Barrie Wilson behind the kit and Jim Capaldi with Traffic. And then there was John Bonham, who took everything to a whole nother level altogether.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Thanks for sharing your inspirations Michael! As a drummer myself it's always great to get advises, and such! Certainly I grew up listening to Bonzo but surely I will check out those jazz artists you mentioned. The roots are always the beholders of keys to new things.

Talking about drummers, just saw this by accident, John Densmore on Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGWId-ic2w
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Right buda...my inspirations were Ringo, Ginger Baker, Levon Helm, and Gene Krupa & Buddy Rich....with the old movies they appeared in.

Battle of Gene & Rich...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5B7yqDYbA&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHr4XQ9SEcg
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Next to brother Michael, Elvin Jones is the Man, and not too far down the list, would be Art Blakey, and Tony Williams.... Bringing up the rear, we have one Mr. Don Conka. When Don was "on" he had a way of exuding this primal energy. If you had any rhythm in you at all. You just had to get up and move. It felt like you were on an African Savanna, back at the dawn of time. As the tribal drummers set the groove, everyone would come out and dance for the "god's".

Thanks for hearing me out....JE.
brightmidnite
Banned

Post by brightmidnite »

what about KEITH MOON, he was a PHENOMENAL drummer.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

brightmidnite wrote:what about KEITH MOON, he was a PHENOMENAL drummer.
For sure....was it Buddy Miles that said Keith Moon was the best drummer ever. Buddy wasn't too shabby either...he could do with one bass drum what Ginger did with two!

Let's not forget the amazing Mitch Mitchell of The Experiencel!! RIP

-Aldous Huxley
brightmidnite
Banned

Post by brightmidnite »

i could name meny fantasic drummers, but i would say keith moon
was the best drummer ever,
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

jamestkirk wrote: Let's not forget the amazing Mitch Mitchell of The Experiencel!! RIP
Totally agree. Mitch Mitchell is my favorite drummer, then Ginger Baker.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Lost Prophet wrote:
jamestkirk wrote: Let's not forget the amazing Mitch Mitchell of The Experiencel!! RIP
Totally agree. Mitch Mitchell is my favorite drummer, then Ginger Baker.
Mitch's subtle yet powerful drumming on Electric Ladyland's "1983....(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)" is inspirational.

I know Arthur saw the Experience and Jimi live...did either of you (Michael or Johnny) see them live?

Whenever I see Michael drum live, the ease and speed of your hands amaze me....I never really had that...I was more of a beat/rhythm drummer......it seems to me that a fast hand is something one is born with (god given if you must)...it is all practice of course, but any true talent to me IS god given.

Johnny and Michael are prime examples of that....what do you all think?

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

drummers

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Right you are, guys. Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker and Keith Moon were (and still are) three of the very best. I never saw Ginger or Keith play live, but I did catch Mitch (along with Jimi and Noel) at The Whisky in '67 or '68.

I recall Jimi had a bit of trouble tuning his guitar between songs that night, and kept saying, "We're tuning because we care." They were dynamite, nonetheless and the experience?.... electric. Mitch was on fire.

I only wish more fans of great drumming could be lucky enough to have heard Don Conka at his peak. With a style that can best be described as "ferocious," Don belongs right up there with the greatest who ever lived.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Don is truly a sad story of a great talent lost. I can only imagine in my mind how great he was....and not a single recorded document!

There must be a bootleg out there!

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

He definitely isn't on the first album at all?

There's a nice story in "Pegasus Carousel" about Michael meeting Don Conka at the market, shortly after Michael had joined Love. It had to have been tough to walk away, but he was gracious about it.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Actually, my long-time favourite is Bonham. His deep thundering sounds what amazes me the most - which I never heard even similar elsewhere. But on the other hand Levon Helm is also a terrific player with a totally different approach.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Buda wrote:Actually, my long-time favourite is Bonham. His deep thundering sounds what amazes me the most - which I never heard even similar elsewhere. But on the other hand Levon Helm is also a terrific player with a totally different approach.
And those solos with only his hands?!! "How Many More Times" blew us away in '69! Bonham was amazing alright!!

And I love Levon's voice maybe more than any other member of the Band..."The Weight"! Levon had that unique, instantly recognizable style....like Ringo and Cass Cassidy.

I never could get over those creative left handed fills of Ringo...he change drumming for us garage band wanna be's. How many songs are instantly recognizable through merely hearing the drum track... e.g.--RAIN?!!

:mrgreen:

-Aldous Huxley