Was 'JLH' aka Revelation the first long 60s song/jam?

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

KV

Was 'JLH' aka Revelation the first long 60s song/jam?

Post by KV »

Johnny- Thank You for the Music. Heard you play last time out, you are still Great and Unique! East/West (Butterfield Blues Band), Dark Magic (Moby Grape) preceded Grateful Dead, Quicksilver etc. 'John Lee Hooker' aka? Revelation was first played in 1965? How long was it? What did the structure consist of? Was this played in LA & SF? Did Butterfield Blues Band and/or Moby Grape hear this? I look forward to hearing you play in different styles on Gethsemane.
Love Forever, Ken Viola
Johnny Echols

Re: Was 'JLH' aka Revelation the first long 60s song/jam?

Post by Johnny Echols »

KV wrote:Johnny- Thank You for the Music. Heard you play last time out, you are still Great and Unique! East/West (Butterfield Blues Band), Dark Magic (Moby Grape) preceded Grateful Dead, Quicksilver etc. 'John Lee Hooker' aka? Revelation was first played in 1965? How long was it? What did the structure consist of? Was this played in LA & SF? Did Butterfield Blues Band and/or Moby Grape hear this? I look forward to hearing you play in different styles on Gethsemane.
Love Forever, Ken Viola

Actually I was playing Revelation (aka John Lee Hooker) in 1963, while still in high school. We were trying to emulate jazz musicians, like Coltrane or Ornette Colman) who would do really extended jams. Many groups would come to see us at the Brave New World. So I can't say whether they were influenced by us, or if it was a natural progression, that would have happened anyway.

I do know that I had never heard [any] rock group play one song for an hour, (featuring super long guitar, and drum solos) before we did. It surely was unique at the time, and the crowds seemed to really get off on it. As a matter of fact, for many many people, that "jam" was their first introduction to the group Love. Later we would really push the envelope, by playing that one song the whole night. JE.