Robby's Guitars

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

samiam236

Robby's Guitars

Post by samiam236 »

Does anyone know the make/type of guitar Robby used in Peace Frog and the live versons of Break on Through in the 70's?

I am thinking of buying a guitar to learn on and would eventually like to play some of his riffs.
atherber

Post by atherber »

Hi, I just entered this forum today. No small task matching Robbie's tones!

With the Doors I believe it was always a Gibson SG except on the first studio album a Gibson Melody Maker.

Your amp and pickups are important too.

There's info in this forum about the stage amps. About studio amps, all I've ever heard is that they're Fender. It would be awesome to know which amp models, speakers, tubes, were used for studio recordings though. I've tried a few Fenders, some have tone that comes close but none have been articulate and lively enough.

Can anyone comment on the studio amps? He has such incredible unique tones.

I've seen photos and videos of humbucking pickups and of (what are probably) P-90s. I've tried SGs with both. Personally I'm more satisfied with the P-90s when I play Doors tunes with a band.

Also and this is just my experience, the lighter the SG the better for getting close to Robbie's sounds.

Since you mention Peace Frog, that tone (for me) has been extremely elusive. Part of it comes seems to come from pickups in reverse phase. I heard in an interview with Robbie that he does this. I tried it and *some* of that Peace Frog honk appeared. Good luck with this one!

All that said, don't think I've matched Robbie's tone by any means. Just passing along one person's opinions and lessons learned.

Andy
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Thanks Andy and welcome to the forum.
atherber

Post by atherber »

Thank you for the welcome. I have a habit of writing "Robbie" instead of the correct "Robby". Apologies.
samiam236

Post by samiam236 »

Thanks for the reply.....

I kind of gave up on this post!

I will definately use the information.

Playing "Robby Style" will be fun to practice on my boat all summer!!! :mrgreen: