The Whiskey-house bands

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

The Whiskey-house bands

Post by jamestkirk »

The Whiskey is legendary for featuring many of the best of the best bands of the day...with Love being one that was at the top.

Love was a regular there...were they ever what would be considered "a house band"? Or were they so popular you just were booked there often?

Who were some of YOUR favorite house bands that you saw there?

One "new" 60's band I just discovered was a house band at the Whiskey and a staple on the Strip--Smokestack Lightning. They really cooked!!
They had one album released in 1969 and their lead guitarist was none other than Warren Zevon....did you see them perform or ever meet Zevon? I love his work.

Here is a track from youtube....what do you think?!! Nice blues rockers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TrrbfC6Dk4
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Re: The Whiskey-house bands

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:The Whiskey is legendary for featuring many of the best of the best bands of the day...with Love being one that was at the top.

Love was a regular there...were they ever what would be considered "a house band"? Or were they so popular you just were booked there often?

Who were some of YOUR favorite house bands that you saw there?

One "new" 60's band I just discovered was a house band at the Whiskey and a staple on the Strip--Smokestack Lightning. They really cooked!!
They had one album released in 1969 and their lead guitarist was none other than Warren Zevon....did you see them perform or ever meet Zevon? I love his work.

Here is a track from youtube....what do you think?!! Nice blues rockers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TrrbfC6Dk4

No, I never thought of Love as a "house band". I think the Leaves, and for a while the Doors, and the Iron Butterfly, would have fit that category. We probably earned ten times more, than the average house band. We were booked at the whiskey so often, because they could make serious money by clearing out, and refilling the place after each set. And we played three sets a night, sometimes four. I never met Warren Zevon, but I dig his work.
Thanks for the link I'll check it out. JE.