My Little Red Book/Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd)

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Chris M

My Little Red Book/Interstellar Overdrive (Pink Floyd)

Post by Chris M »

Quick question for Johnny..

I was wondering if you were aware "My Little Red Book" was a major inspiration to Syd Barrett during the very early stages of the Pink Floyd?

Early Floyd manager Peter Jenner recalls that the riff to Interstellar Overdrive came about when he was trying to hum My Little Red Book to Syd Barrett only he hummed it incorrectly. Syd tried to followed Jenner's humming and used it as the basis for the opening riff to "Interstellar Overdrive".

A long shot but did you happen to catch the Syd Barrett model Floyd in LA or SF in November of 1966?

Cheers!
Chris
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

No I was unaware of any Pink Floyd connection to My Little Red Book, and I never had the pleasure of seeing them live. One can become so involved in their own little insular world, that they fail to notice there's a larger one outside. JE.