Love and War

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Love and War

Post by jamestkirk »

I always felt that Forever Changes especially was as socially relevant as any album of the day or any day....all as relevant and fresh today as when it was new.

Whether it be about the war...A House Is Not A Motel....

or about the life on the streets...Between Clark and Hilldale

or about life and death...The Red Telephone

or the answer to life....You Set The Scene.

Arthur, was an intellectual--a scholar of life....not a book smart poet like Jim Morrison, but rather a street-wise artist that drew upon life and all he saw around him. He looked at a man and knew what he was.

Did he ever discuss this or did it just all come out in his music?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Arthur, and I....like most young people at the time, were very socially conscious. From our perspectives, one almost had to be. We were at ground zero, because of our ages, and were constantly bombarded by images of that war. It was absolutely surreal, to be enjoying the privileged life we were living. And at the same time, being informed of the deaths of many of our former classmates, and high school friends. Both of us were certain, it was only a matter of time, before our numbers would be called. And we would wind up dying in some God forsaken jungle.

As a racially mixed group in the sixties, we faced a double whammy. There were many places in this Country we just couldn't play, by their choice, or ours. All of the south, and most of the mid-west, was off limits. Much of the country between the east and west coasts, expressed the attitude "you folks need not apply." Our agents would secure bookings, only to have them canceled, after the venue realized the groups racial make-up. Others insisted we play to a segregated audience, (we absolutely refused to be a part of that insanity). When the group did manage to play a gig outside California, the police would often monitor our Hotel, to find out who was visiting our rooms. The whole scene seems so bizarre now! Arthur and I, were so embarrassed, and put-off, to be caught up in something so out dated, and un-cool. We began to claim that we didn't tour that often, by choice.

Many people think this Country is polarized now. This is a love fest compared to back then. They were bombing churches, unleashing dogs on citizens who dared try and vote. They were routinely killing Political leaders, students, peaceful protesters, anybody that made too much noise, was fair game. With that as a back drop, it doesn't seem so improbable, that a bunch of race mixing California hippy musicians would be most unwelcome. In the reality we found ourselves in, we were "town criers," so much, of Love's music, is actually a newsreel, memorializing the times in which we lived. JE.
Last edited by Johnny Echols on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I see what you MEAN. I GREW UP IN AN INSULAR UNIVERSITY TOWN THAT WAS very liberal...surrounded by a conservative state...in the midwest...so I was lucky.

We rarely got to hear music of Love on the radio that beamed in from around the midwest. Not until Love was no longer together did we start to get underground radio. A wonderful, hopeful, sad, polarizing time. I still get chills when I hear.....

"More confusion, blood transfusions, the news today will be the movies from tomorrow, and the water's turned to blood...." (maybe my favorite Love song of all time). So many good artists with strong messages-- "...Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming...." That was the underlying climate amidst the peace and love.

We need Love again! How's that new album coming, Johnny? Is Michael able to participate at all during any of the sessions?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

It's coming along very slowly, but it's coming. I'm hoping Michael will play on several songs, if he doesn't mind working to a click track. JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Johnny Echols wrote:It's coming along very slowly, but it's coming. I'm hoping Michael will play on several songs, if he doesn't mind working to a click track. JE.
So good to hear.

When I hear A House Is Not A Motel, I am equally impressed by Michael's amazing drumming and your sizzling guitar riffs. Being a drummer (by hobby) I aways listen to the drum part the first time, & always, when I play a song on the turntable...and Michael got to me right away! No drum machine for me..it better rock. From what communication I have had with Michael, I know he will be there if he can. My impressions are that you two are "brothers" in every way.

We all wait with as much patience as possible for your music to reach us, Johnny.

-Aldous Huxley