Frank Zappa & Love

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Frank Zappa & Love

Post by jamestkirk »

For me Zappa and Arthur were maybe the two greatest innovators of the day (that is a bold statement since the 60's were the golden age of folk/jazz/classical/blues/folk/rock musical innovation). Any crossovers or friendships there? I know the Mothers varying bandmembers touched many bands over the years.

Did you ever visit Zappa's "lodge" when it seemed like everyone in the Canyon was crashing there? What a crazy wonderful time!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

We saw Frank Zappa all the time, he was often [the] voice of moderation in our world. The freak show pad, was right down the street from my house, so I managed to fall by, every now and then. Also his future wife Gail, had been a "very close friend," for a time! It was Frank who pulled my coat, about Herb and Mutt Cohen. If only I had listened to him, our collective bank accounts, would have reaped a huge benefit!! JE.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Johnny Echols wrote:We saw Frank Zappa all the time, he was often [the] voice of moderation in our world. The freak show pad, was right down the street from my house, so I managed to fall by, every now and then. Also his future wife Gail, had been a "very close friend," for a time! It was Frank who pulled my coat, about Herb and Mutt Cohen. If only I had listened to him, our collective bank accounts, would have reaped a huge benefit!! JE.
I read Frank tolerated zero drugs (ironic from an artist that was wrongly associated with drugs and freak-outs and all sorts of depravity!), but rewarded hard work, creativity and welcomed all who showed promise...until it drove him and is wife insane with all those house guests sleeping everywhere! Didn't he move over to the "other" Canyon...Topanga?
And wasn't there a huge main hall in his home that was filled with people at all hours--I read there were all kinds of strange goings-ons.

SO much in print, it makes me wonder how much is myth and how much is true.....but you know how that goes, Johnny.
:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Frank hated drugs, and anything having to do with them! He was older and much wiser than most of us. That house should have been called the house of depravity, considering all that went on there. Frank wasn't as circumspect, or nearly so hands-off, when it came to other activities. Gail used sound judgment, by insisting they move far away from Vito and Karl's influence, smart lady! JE.