Don Conka & his story of LOVE

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

Don Conka & his story of LOVE

Post by jamestkirk »

This from "signed RW" Rick Williams of LA radio fame....by the way he did a nice radio interview with Arthur back in the 70's or 80's I believe..I have it, Johnny, if you want it.

So...was Don's memory ON here?
Originally posted by Signed RW
[br]I may have posted on this topic before, but while attending college at Cal
Poly, San Luis Obispo, in 1972, both my girlfriend and myself were on the
air at the campus station, KCPR. She worked under the air-name Margaret
Meatball, and regularly received fan mail from Don Conka, who was indeed
at the California Mens Colony in SLO. He dug her show because he could
tell by her voice that she was hot (she was) and because she always played
plenty of Love. As Program Director and boyfriend, I'll take a bit of the
credit for that. In his letters, he explained in detail the meaning and
origin of numerous early Love songs. What stands out, still to me, was his
explanation of the fact-based lines, "Owe it to Johnny, owe it to Conka, one
of them told me that he was holding." And also "He had a shoebox behind his icebox." All true, according to Don, back in '72. Here's the coolest
part of the story; when I spoke to him at the Hollywood House of Blues show,
where he'd drummed on the "Smokestack Lightning" encore, he absolutely,
definitely remembered writing those letters. He said, "Yeah, sure. She had a funny radio name, right? Man, that was a long time ago!" Over thirty years, actually. A cool guy, and a good, solid drummer...
=)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Re: Don Conka & his story of LOVE

Post by Johnny Echols »

jamestkirk wrote:This from "signed RW" Rick Williams of LA radio fame....by the way he did a nice radio interview with Arthur back in the 70's or 80's I believe..I have it, Johnny, if you want it.

So...was Don's memory ON here?
Originally posted by Signed RW
[br]I may have posted on this topic before, but while attending college at Cal
Poly, San Luis Obispo, in 1972, both my girlfriend and myself were on the
air at the campus station, KCPR. She worked under the air-name Margaret
Meatball, and regularly received fan mail from Don Conka, who was indeed
at the California Mens Colony in SLO. He dug her show because he could
tell by her voice that she was hot (she was) and because she always played
plenty of Love. As Program Director and boyfriend, I'll take a bit of the
credit for that. In his letters, he explained in detail the meaning and
origin of numerous early Love songs. What stands out, still to me, was his
explanation of the fact-based lines, "Owe it to Johnny, owe it to Conka, one
of them told me that he was holding." And also "He had a shoebox behind his icebox." All true, according to Don, back in '72. Here's the coolest
part of the story; when I spoke to him at the Hollywood House of Blues show,
where he'd drummed on the "Smokestack Lightning" encore, he absolutely,
definitely remembered writing those letters. He said, "Yeah, sure. She had a funny radio name, right? Man, that was a long time ago!" Over thirty years, actually. A cool guy, and a good, solid drummer...
=)

Cool story jtk, however the words are slightly different, they are "I went to Johnny, I went to Conka, one of them told me that he was holding." I feel so badly that I was on his case during that gig. Conka hadn't played in front of an audience in many years, and he was timid, afraid he wouldn't play well. I thought I was helping when I kept imploring him to "play dude." It didn't help, just made him more nervous. That was really uncool, sorry bro!
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks Johnny....The story was forwarded to me by Rick who asked me to post it here..and thought you would find it fun.

We try to help others, and sometimes, what would get US motivated, only gets the friend we are trying to help to be even more freaked..

..but we try...your motives were those of a friend, Johnny, and I am sure Conk knew it.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Signed RW

Post by Signed RW »

Ancient history now, but history nonetheless; Don very clearly believed
that the lyrics were "Owe it to..." rather than "I went to..." and in one of
his letters (back in '72) he explained that Arthur was a great one for dropping by to "borrow" a bit of herb from his friends, thereby always
being in the position of "owing" those friends. And he was also
pretty clear about whose pad had the "shoebox behind the icebox," and
that the "icebox" was a refrigerator, as opposed to any specific strain of
this or that. He struck me as a really cool, but still very nice guy.

-RW
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

Signed RW wrote:Ancient history now, but history nonetheless; Don very clearly believed that the lyrics were "Owe it to..." rather than "I went to..." and in one of his letters (back in '72) he explained that Arthur was a great one for dropping by to "borrow" a bit of herb from his friends, thereby always being in the position of "owing" those friends. And he was also pretty clear about whose pad had the "shoebox behind the icebox," and that the "icebox" was a refrigerator, as opposed to any specific strain of this or that. He struck me as a really cool, but still very nice guy.

-RW
I have absolutely no doubt, Don heard it that way. One of the magical things about music, is we all hear, what we think we hear. Which makes certain songs special to us, something we can relate to. In a "House is not a Motel" some folks hear....Bells from the Schools of [Walls] will be Ringing. When one listens to the whole song (in context), it's clear he's singing "Bells from the Schools of War will be Ringing" referring to the War College.

For years I thought Jimi was singing "Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy." I wasn't hearing the meaning behind the words....just the words. Once you've created an image in your mind, concerning certain lyrics, It's close to impossible to hear them any other way. My only purpose in posting here, is to share my experience, of being one who actually played the music, and who has first-hand knowledge, as to what is real, and what is apocrypha.

You have a very special personal memory, it was never my intention to intrude upon it. JE.
Signed RW

Post by Signed RW »

Just one of the many reasons why it's so great to have Johnny taking part
here; how cool is it to have an absolute final authority, one who was actually there, making this music which for decades has been of major
importance to us, and continues to play such a large role our lives. For Johnny to be willing to respond and to comment on even the "small" stuff like interpretation (or misinterpretation) of lyrics, is a pretty sweet deal, and I'd just like to say "Thanks, very much," for both the music in the first place, and for your participation here.

-RW
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Signed RW wrote:Just one of the many reasons why it's so great to have Johnny taking part
here; how cool is it to have an absolute final authority, one who was actually there, making this music which for decades has been of major
importance to us, and continues to play such a large role our lives. For Johnny to be willing to respond and to comment on even the "small" stuff like interpretation (or misinterpretation) of lyrics, is a pretty sweet deal, and I'd just like to say "Thanks, very much," for both the music in the first place, and for your participation here.

-RW
Couldn't have said it better, Rick. Thanks....

-Aldous Huxley