Laughing Stock

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Laughing Stock

Post by silentseason »

For Michael or Johnny

I have always found Laughing Stock to be the quirkiest of all the Love catalogue of songs, almost three songs in one: the dirge/chanting beginning, abrupt change into a straight on rocker, then slow dissolution of the instruments into disharmony.

A couple of questions:
1) Was the song worked up over a gradual amount of time, or was it created almost instantly in the studio during the Jan '68 recording sessions? Who (if anyone) had the impetus to its beginnings?

2) Regarding the chanting at the beginning, was there any relevance or hidden meaning to it or was it simply goofing around? And was "Fred" anyone of significance?

Want to send a thank you to Michael for taking his time to answer all the questions. Thrilled to be able to have a forum with you and Johnny to discuss the music.
You set the scene
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Great song! It's ironic that it's the B-side of the last single by any of the original members (besides Arthur), while it makes reference to the A-side of the first single (and first track on the debut album). Arthur sings "I just got out my little red..." Talk about full circle!
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Bump for Michael.
You set the scene
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

There are a bunch of sites that say Jim Morrison is on background vocals - close, but it's someone else. Anyone know who?
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

jim4371 wrote:There are a bunch of sites that say Jim Morrison is on background vocals - close, but it's someone else. Anyone know who?
Do you know and is this a TEST, Chris?!!

:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
hourformagic

Post by hourformagic »

jim4371 wrote:There are a bunch of sites that say Jim Morrison is on background vocals - close, but it's someone else. Anyone know who?
I'd like to know that, too.

Anybody?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Here's a clip of the channel with "Jim":
http://www.zshare.net/audio/8995545689574442/