For Michael: Recording venues

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

For Michael: Recording venues

Post by silentseason »

Michael,

Out of all the recording studios that you worked in, did you have a favorite or least favorite? Also with Love was the atmosphere one of getting down to business or one of a more informal setting when laying down tracks?
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

studios

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

To answer your question in reverse...Side One of Da Capo was recorded at RCA, studio "B" with Dave Hassinger, and Side two, at Sunset Sound with Bruce Botnick under relaxed but business-like circumstances.

All of Forever Changes was recorded at Sunset Sound, as well, under circumstances that could only be described as "uptightly business-like".

We recorded something at Western Recorders on Sunset with John Haeny, but I forget what. I thought it was "Laughing Stock " and "Your Mind and We..." but the little book that came with Rhino's "Love Story" compilation says those two songs were done at Sunset Sound also, so I don't know...maybe we did something else at Western that never made it onto an album, like "Hummingbirds."

The main thing I remember about Western, is us all sitting in the small lobby out front running over a song with acoustic instruments, and Bryan got up to get a drink and just at that moment Mama Cass came walking through the lobby and looked at Bryan while he was standing at the Coke machine and made a yummy sound and licked her lips and grossed us all out. He was like...violated before our very eyes.

I recorded some things at RCA studio "B" with The Sons of Adam as well, and in a garage studio in Santa Monica that Dick And Dee Dee used to record their hits. Recorded in a small studio off Melrose ... a couple of tunes for "Slim" Gaylord, rock versions of his classics, "Cement Mixer, Putty Putty, and "Chicken Noodle Soup". I think we ran into Kim Fowley there as well and he mentioned it was the studio where he recorded "Alley Oop." I did some session work for a small studio in the valley on Ventura Blvd.

They were all good studios, I couldn't pick one over the others.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Just to go off topic I was wondering regarding the Love Story DVD:

1) What is your take on it; do you think they presented an accurate picture of the band?

2) How did they film your part, ie was it done in one day, did they leave any pertinent commentary edited out, when was it filmed?

LOL on Mama Cass...too bad it wasn't Michelle Phillips that day.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

love story dvd

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I thought Chris Hall and Start Productions did a beautiful job on the Love Story DVD. It was an excellent portrayal of the group. Fortunately they were able to convince Arthur to be a part before he became too ill.

Yeah, they did my part in an hour or so where they did many of the interviews...in a hotel room at the Hyatt on Sunset, just down the street from The Whisky. They cut some of my stuff but offhand I can't remember what it was.

You got that right. If it had been Mama Michelle, we would have all been jumping up to get a Coke.