For Michael: Background Vocals

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

For Michael: Background Vocals

Post by silentseason »

Michael, Curious as to whether you contributed any background vocals on Da Capo or FC.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

contributing vocals

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I didn't contribute any vocals at all on Da Capo, but on Forever Changes, I sang low harmony on "Alone Again Or." Arthur, Bryan and I all sang three-part off one big microphone.

Then I think on "Red Telephone" .."..paint me .." then we all said a different color, you know, to demonstrate diversity. Hey that counts. I think mine was "white."

Oh yeah, then on one of the two added cuts, "Laughing Stock" we all sang the beginning segment in unison..."Here we are, our hands are all untied... we'd rather walk than ride..."
silentseason

Re: contributing vocals

Post by silentseason »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:I didn't contribute any vocals at all on Da Capo, but on Forever Changes, I sang low harmony on "Alone Again Or." Arthur, Bryan and I all sang three-part off one big microphone.

Then I think on "Red Telephone" .."..paint me .." then we all said a different color, you know, to demonstrate diversity. Hey that counts. I think mine was "white."

Oh yeah, then on one of the two added cuts, "Laughing Stock" we all sang the beginning segment in unison..."Here we are, our hands are all untied... we'd rather walk than ride..."
Very interesting; to follow up, did you get a chance to contribute to 'Daily Planet'? You know, the "face/hands/heart..." section where they were spoken all at once?

Also was the reference to 'Fred' in the Laughing Stock begining chant an actual person or just made up to rhyme?
You set the scene
hourformagic

Re: contributing vocals

Post by hourformagic »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up, Michael. :D
MichaelStuart-Ware

daily

Yes, actually I interjected a word in there (Daily Planet), as well. I forgot which one though.

I don't remember any people named Fred around at that time, so I don't believe Arthur was actually referring to a real guy named Fred, when he wrote,"...Fred in bed and ride, ride ride..." but maybe he was inspired by a guy who spent a lot of time in bed named, like "Jason", but he wanted it to rhyme with bed, so... or maybe there really was a Fred.

Seriously, John Lennon once said (to paraphrase), "You know,sometimes my words don't mean anything. Sometimes I just string words together that I think sound good."
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

That is how David Bowie also did it.He'd just write some lines on a paper, then he cut the paper and puts the lines in an
order that he thought sounding nice
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Lennon was an absolute master at making nonsense into lyrical genius; Strawberry Fields or I am the Walrus are the best examples.

On the topic of lyrics (for Michael), did you ever write songs that were played live or recorded?
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

writing songs

I never wrote one song, ever, because.....several reasons. The first being, I know I held myself to too high a standard. I tried to write a few songs and when I got a little ways into it, I thought to myself, "Hmm, that's not sounding as good as the stuff the Beatles do, at all" and I was like disgusted with myself, so I stopped. I was somewhat easily discouraged.

I mean, it's hard to write really good music. Turn over to VH1 sometime or MTV2 and check out the music videos...like 90% of what's on there (from just about any era), is absolute crap. I mean it sounds horrible. It's so bad it's like they were trying to write bad. The music is obnoxiously insulting and the words?...just trip on the closed captioning and read it and weep. You'll be amazed at what passes for lyrics. I couldn't do that. Could you?

The really good songwriters are inspired to write what they write. You can't do it as a job or an assignment. I hate to sound corny, but a great song has to be real.. something that touches the soul of those who hear it... and generated from some purely beautiful and undefinable source, and if it's not great, it's worthless.

Examples? Let's take Love's first album... Bryan's "Softly To Me", the phrasing and the sophistication...that's a great song, born (shall I dare say it?) of genius. Arthur's "Signed D.C."... Spine-tinglingly accurate portrait of a real guy and a prediction of things to come for us all. You can feel Don's loneliness creeping down the track. "My Flash On you"? "..Don't try to force your smug old drug my way, 'cause baby I've cleansed my soul, and that's where it's gonna stay!" Your blood pressure rises or you're already dead. Arthur's "Gazing"..."...a mulatto soul so rare, intercepted by gravitation.." The words on those tunes are just off the charts.

Lot's of others. The Door's "Crystal Ship", Tom Jones' "With These Hands"...I think when I heard that stuff I guess I must have thought, "Yeah, I better stick to drumming."
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks for the insights. You couldn't be more right about "music" cable channels; I gave up years ago on them having any sort of redeeming musical value. They are nothing but mindless, talentless corporate garbage.

Your experience with songwriting sounds a little like my time with the guitar. I tried to teach myself, and lets just say that it was less than successful (I have hands of stone when it comes to music). I realized you can't fake or force real art when it isn't there. We all have gifts; unfortunately mine isn't musical.

Again thanks for letting us pick your brain. The inside stuff that you and Johnny provide is fascinating.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks, Michael. You are so right...sometimes you just know. Take the Stones...how is it that when Oldham locked Jagger and Richards in that kitchen, & told them he wouldn't let them out until they came up with an original song; & that they were able to DO it?....over and over and over? And how is it Brian Jones couldn't write a song to save his life? It's just the way it is.

But each of us have our own unique gifts...yours is drumming. Mine is art....I wish I could write a song, never could-- when I was drumming either.

I guess the ability to enjoy a song is as equally wonderful for those of us who can't write one!!

That's just the way it is.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

Not to hijack the thread, but Brian Jones did compose some really cool music for the film A Degree of Murder, which Anita Pallenberg starred in. It's posted on Youtube, I don't have the link handy. He just wasn't a lyrical sort.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

TJSAbass wrote:Not to hijack the thread, but Brian Jones did compose some really cool music for the film A Degree of Murder, which Anita Pallenberg starred in. It's posted on Youtube, I don't have the link handy. He just wasn't a lyrical sort.
Right....he just lost the inspiration with the Stones. Great guitar/bluesman but the pop stardom thing went to his head...along with some other substances.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

I forgot to include this for Michael: Did you get to say a "Freedom" at the end of 'Red Telephone' and who was it who had the "all of gods children gotta have their freedom" line at the very end of the song?
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

I can't remember if I was in on the "freedoms," but I can remember that was Arthur declaring, "All God's chillin' gotta have their freedom..." As anyone can hear by listening to his vocal transformation from Love's first album to the third, Arthur was a master of many voices, with an incredible range.
MichaelStuart-Ware

background vocals

Hey I just remembered another vocal contribution I made on FC. On "The Red Telephone"...the middle part that goes, "Life goes on here..., day after day.." I'm in there singing, "...sha la la la la la, laaaa, aaah."

I don't want to leave anything out.
jamestkirk

Re: background vocals

Post by jamestkirk »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:Hey I just remembered another vocal contribution I made on FC. On "The Red Telephone"...the middle part that goes, "Life goes on here..., day after day.." I'm in there singing, "...sha la la la la la, laaaa, aaah."

I don't want to leave anything out.
Nice....I never realized you could sing right along with the rest...harmonies and all, Michael!

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

They are great harmonies. When you place them in the context of the song (in the middle, with Arthur singing his lyrics on the drearines and mundaneness of life) they somehow seem to provide an insight into how absurd life is.

Your rememberance of this got me to thinking; for 'Good Humor Man' were there background vocals for that?
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

singing drummers

Yeah, I came from an era when drummers didn't really sing too often. They just kind of sat back there and did their jobs and kept their mouths shut. Then Don Henley and Phil Collins came along and changed all that. Big time.
MichaelStuart-Ware

good humor man

Yes, actually, I'm singing some "ahhhs" and some "dit, dit"s