michael: preferred drum grip and fills

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

michael: preferred drum grip and fills

Post by jamestkirk »

Hi Michael...as drummer brothers I always listen to your drumming..it is first in my mind along side Arthur's vocals with every listen.

Always a treat to hear you!

Question: Do you prefer a matched drumstick grip, or a traditional jazz style grip?

I learned to drum in grade school so of course it was jazz grip for band and orchestra (Gene Krupa was a hero- saw him in film). In high school, a few friends used matched grip but I blamed that on the uneducated. Then I started seeing rock professionals use it...Ringo, Ginger Baker. It just was so awkward when I tried it...unnatural for me....still is. I get much more speed out of the jazz grip.

Matched grip is helpful I understand for using the toms to better advantage though I never had issues.

>>>Do you mix up grips from song to song--matched or jazz--depending on the beat or with brushes?

--------------------------------------------------
Second question: Fills. I love your fills-- do you ever work in short drum rolls with a fill?....brrrddd-up-ba-da-bam. It is innate with my having to perfect drum rolls in school...they just come out!

Thirdly: Your preferred sticks? I use Vic Firth 5AN (medium) matched sticks with nylon tips.

Finally: Skins and tuning and kits: Are you especially partial to certain drum skins.

Any brand kits you hate?

I've read about Charlie Watts and he is very particular-Gretsch natural wood finish kits, UFIP cymbals mostly & an Avedis Zildjin swish....very particular about skins, jazz drummer that he is, from way back..is that so with rock drummers? I have a tendency to not get too into skin brands since they only carry one locally.

Do you know any drummers that have drums tuned by roadies, like guitarists have their guitars tuned...too many guitars to handle on stage.

I have a feeling most drummers (like myself) are "don't touch my drums!" to all and sundry who step to close.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

preferred grips and fills

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Hey Scott, I had never even seen a drummer use matched grip while playing a set before I saw Manfred Mann on the tube in late-'64, and like you, I thought it looked strange, but then after I started playing live gigs at higher volumes (with the Sons of Adam) I found that I got more power from the left hand with the matched grip over the traditional, so I started using it almost exclusively.

I used the matched grip in high school and college when I played timpani, so it wasn't all that hard to get used to when playing a set.

When you need to play a ruff or a ratamaque or a short roll (as in jazz or marching drums), you almost have to go with the traditional grip in order to get the proper bounce off the snare head. Like on "Bummer In The Summer"...it has a march beat, so I used the traditional grip on that cut.
Certainly, going back and forth from traditional to match mid-song, can work, as well.

Yeah, I use 5A Vic Firth too, but with regular tip. The nylon tip sounds a little more crisp on the cymbals but after a few tips fell off mid-song I switched back to straight wood.

I have Remo Pin-stripped Weather King heads on my toms and Aquarian heads on my bass and snare. I'm looking for the soft natural sound.

There's no particular brand of drums I don't like. Most drums can be made to sound good with proper padding and tuning and the right heads.

I'm happy to let a roadie set up my drums.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

One of my favorite drummers that used the jazz grip was Michael Shrieve (don't know if he still does). Did you ever hear him play, He got maximum sound from a simple kit....nothing fancy...like your kit. That is plenty of drums & cymbals for me too....did you ever see Shrieve perform?!

Soul Sacrifice-Santana--some nice short rolls here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLDalZ4-53g

I so wish the Love you were part of still existed for WOODSTOCK!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MichaelStuart-Ware

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

The only time I ever saw Michael Shrieve perform was in Woodstock. That is indeed a great performance, getting excellent power from the traditional grip. As you said, it appeared from the clip that his set was the same as the one I used in the sixties... the same basic set up I have now actually, except my Tamas have the provision for two mounted toms.