For Michael: Mementos

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

For Michael: Mementos

Post by silentseason »

Michael,

Question in a lighter vein. I was relooking at the Pegasus Carosel thread recently and saw that you had some vintage posters from gigs. Was just wondering if you have any specific mementos (be it instruments, records, miscellany...et al) that you have from your time with the Sons or Love that are of some historical significance.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

SOA momentos

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I have a couple of chrome drum keys I used when I was with the Sons of Adam, and some publicity 8X10"s, and one poster...the black and white Wes Wilson from March of '66. The Fillmore gig we did with Love.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Still following on a lighter train, what was your most memorable concert attended strictly as a spectator, and do you have any memories of concerts where you were asked to sit in with the group and play for a few songs.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

memorable concert

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

The most memorable concert I ever attended was The Everly Brothers Concert at The Hullabaloo in late-'66, I believe. They were sandwiched in between several other memorable concerts at the same club during the period when Dave Hull had bought the lease on the old Moulan Rouge (home of the TV game show Queen For A Day") turned it into a non-alcoholic nightclub and commenced to book some of the groups to come from England during the British Invasion, including The Yardbirds and P.J. Proby.

But The Everly Brothers were stunning in their perfection, working off one microphone, their gorgeous harmonies and stunning musicianship just blew everybody away. That's the first time I ever saw Jim Gordon play. He was their drummer.

All the sitting-in I did was when I was in Seattle playing with the Danny O'Keefe Band. The sax player, Billy MacPherson and I used to go around to the clubs in the area and he would strike up a conversation with the groups while they were on break and get us invited up. Billy was a real gregarious dude and a profoundly gifted musician. He played with Buddy Miles for a while, as well.