LoVE: Colored Balls Falling

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

LoVE: Colored Balls Falling

Post by silentseason »

"Colored Balls Falling"
-Running time: 1:50
-Recorded: January 25, 1966 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-Written as a loose jam after the band had enjoyed various sensory altering aides.
-Quotable: Everyone has embarrasing moments in life, and as a performer having it onstage is probably that much worse. Johnny offers this bit about one of his lesser moments:

"When we were at the Brave New World, the group did a bunch of "cover" songs. We played many of the songs that were popular at the time. One of the most embarrassing moments I ever had on stage, was when several members of the Byrd's came to see us, and Arthur had us play "Tambourine Man. For years afterward, David Crosby would kid me about it. I still cringe, when I remember that night."

-IMHO: Shortest song ever by the band, and it ends just as it seems to be gathering momentum after Johnny's guitar solo. I get an incomplete feeling listening to this song.
-Fun fact: I must confess I can't decipher the meaning of the song's title, if there was one intended. Best I can figure is the line "falling stars appear" is referring to the title. Perhaps this is another example of Arthur's cryptic method or tripping lyrics?

Lyrics:

As I sit here thinking
Wondering where I am
Knowing that I could be here but I just sat
That's where I'm at

People walk the shadows
Falling stars appear
Other blinding matches come with their cats
That's where I'm at

I could never go there
It's too close far behind
Hope I never see you
So I won't go run and hide
Last edited by silentseason on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
You set the scene
TJSAbass

Post by TJSAbass »

One of my favorites on the 1st album. I get a good feel for the times from this one. I like the guitar solo, the backing vocals at the end, and the lyrical and structural openness of it.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Just a suggestion, but these listings might benefit by having a listing of personnel/instrumentation. :)
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

jim4371 wrote:Just a suggestion, but these listings might benefit by having a listing of personnel/instrumentation. :)
That is a good suggestion and one I thought about, but initially thought it would be too repetitive since the first album is the same throughout save Arthur filling in on drums on a few cuts. However it might not be bad to have those out there, for sake of complete info. I'll work on it. :)
You set the scene
silentseason

LoVE: Mushroom Clouds

Post by silentseason »

Oops. Misposted 'Mushroom Clouds' here; moved it to its own thread. :oops:
You set the scene