'The Doors: Live In Vancouver' - Nov. 22, 2010

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I wonder what the sales have been like for Vancouver. Does anybody have any information on that or how BMA has generally been in doing in terms of sales? I'm assuming since they went with a less expensive package and a reduced price that they are probably trying to cut some corners and bring the sales up. How BMA has been doing regarding the 1970 shows may give us an indication as to what they are going to release in the near future, Bakersfield and Seattle or some 1967 and 1968 shows.
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

Porsche wrote: The band wasn't sure either, as Track 8 attests:

Ray: What is that noise?
Jim: What is that, the air conditioner humming? What is that?

:lol:
Yeah, I caught that too. :)
He is the Last Dinosaur!
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

I'm curious about the sales figures too. They haven't been huge sellers in the past, shame they don't market them more.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

BallroomDays67 wrote:While it does have additional dialogue and the phasing problems have been corrected, "Live in Vancouver 1970" sounds slightly dull and muffled in comparison to "100 Minutes." IMO, it isn't the clear winner here. As far as the music is concerned, the tracks with Albert King are what differentiate it from other 1970-era releases. Otherwise it's about average, and a step backward performance-wise from the previous release (Felt Forum). I still think they should have waited with this one.
I held off on this one but just recently got it and gave it a listen-- I wanted to hop on and see what others thought. I like the dialogue-- he has somewhat of a different tone in this one than in most other '70 shows...at least to me.

I have to agree with you BD--- the first number of tracks sound a bit 'dull' to me-- some of them better than what I expected-- some not so much. So I agree-- pretty much average esp. when being compared to the Felt Forum release. All in all- I am pleased, but I was a little more hyped about it prior to hearing it.

Edit-- additionally I wish it would have been a jewel type case as opposed to the casing they used-- for some reason I really do not like these cardboard casings-- the edges get worn and over time they start looking overly used even when they are not
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Lauren wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:While it does have additional dialogue and the phasing problems have been corrected, "Live in Vancouver 1970" sounds slightly dull and muffled in comparison to "100 Minutes." IMO, it isn't the clear winner here. As far as the music is concerned, the tracks with Albert King are what differentiate it from other 1970-era releases. Otherwise it's about average, and a step backward performance-wise from the previous release (Felt Forum). I still think they should have waited with this one.
I held off on this one but just recently got it and gave it a listen-- I wanted to hop on and see what others thought. I like the dialogue-- he has somewhat of a different tone in this one than in most other '70 shows...at least to me.

I have to agree with you BD--- the first number of tracks sound a bit 'dull' to me-- some of them better than what I expected-- some not so much. So I agree-- pretty much average esp. when being compared to the Felt Forum release. All in all- I am pleased, but I was a little more hyped about it prior to hearing it.

Edit-- additionally I wish it would have been a jewel type case as opposed to the casing they used-- for some reason I really do not like these cardboard casings-- the edges get worn and over time they start looking overly used even when they are not
You can buy plastic sleeves for them and they help a little.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Sorry. No disrespect intended but it was hard for me to get hyped about a show which I've had since the early 90's. The St.James Infirmary bit was always my fave from this show.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Agreed. It's has never been high on my list of most listened to recordings either. An official release didn't want to make me listen to it again. A few decent moments, but nothing mind blowing. The Matrix and the Fillmore/Winterland need to be next so they can distance themselves from some of these stale 1970 shows. Hopefully they lose the Seattle tape so it never sees the light of day.
Buda

Post by Buda »

:mrgreen:

..and agreed.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

I love the Vancouver show... next to Hawaii and Long Beach it stands up as probably the best concert from 1970. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my copy which I preordered. Fuck Music Today, and Fuck DMC.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

mystery_train67 wrote:I love the Vancouver show... next to Hawaii and Long Beach it stands up as probably the best concert from 1970. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my copy which I preordered. Fuck Music Today, and Fuck DMC.
Vancouver being best overall---Or best as far as what was yet unreleased?

I won't say it is bad by any means......but I have a tough time saying it was the best 1970 concert--- have you had a chance to listen to the Felt Forum release yet?
mystery_train67

Lauren wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:I love the Vancouver show... next to Hawaii and Long Beach it stands up as probably the best concert from 1970. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my copy which I preordered. Fuck Music Today, and Fuck DMC.
Vancouver being best overall---Or best as far as what was yet unreleased?

I won't say it is bad by any means......but I have a tough time saying it was the best 1970 concert--- have you had a chance to listen to the Felt Forum release yet?
I've had the majority of the Felt Forum shows for about 10 years, Vancouver always got a regular play while the Felts took a back seat... sure I like them, and have played them, but they fall short in some ways .

Felts are great shows, particularly the 17th because Jim's voice isn't wasted and we get a beautiful version of Blue Sunday... but for over all vibe, and originality, Felts come of a little bland in their entirety.

Vancouver was a pretty unique show, and I'm really glad to have a good sound recording of a tight version of the LMF>St James>Fever jam.

Out of all the 1970 shows I could have on film, or could have been at, I'd be hard pressed not to choose Vancouver. Name a show which is more solid? Most of the BMA released shows present a band who can't quite get it together 100%.... For once I think Manzarek pulls out a reliable quote when he says "we played our asses off in Vancouver"
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

You are right. There's something special with Vancouver, the show. I too have played more often Vancouver than Felt Forum or even Detroit which in comparison, was already released by BMA. There's a few songs that were really greatly performed in Vancouver. Probably only Hawaii could top this one but sound quality removes some interest for a regular listen. If only Vince had taped Hawaii and Long Beach...
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

mystery_train67 wrote:
I've had the majority of the Felt Forum shows for about 10 years, Vancouver always got a regular play while the Felts took a back seat... sure I like them, and have played them, but they fall short in some ways .

Felts are great shows, particularly the 17th because Jim's voice isn't wasted and we get a beautiful version of Blue Sunday... but for over all vibe, and originality, Felts come of a little bland in their entirety.

Vancouver was a pretty unique show, and I'm really glad to have a good sound recording of a tight version of the LMF>St James>Fever jam.

Out of all the 1970 shows I could have on film, or could have been at, I'd be hard pressed not to choose Vancouver. Name a show which is more solid? Most of the BMA released shows present a band who can't quite get it together 100%.... For once I think Manzarek pulls out a reliable quote when he says "we played our asses off in Vancouver"
Pretty much all of the 1970 shows (that we have heard) fall short. There are some that are better than others. Felt Forum 17th late is pretty good. Long Beach is good. I'd like to hear a complete, better quality, Chicago. Hawaii is one of the better ones. I still like Philly. But they all have their flaws. Seattle is terrible (well the band is pretty good that night). Pittsburgh bores the hell out of me, and Boston...well.
Maybe it's because I heard Vancouver so many times, but it's not one of those must listen shows for me or one I want to listen to all the way through. The songs with Albert King is the best part. If that jam session never happened, what would you think of it? LMF is pretty good, but I think it falls apart at the very end. "There You Sit" ruins it for me. The End is slightly better than the Detroit version.
I'd like to hear the complete Winterland shows. That version of Rock Me is probably the best from 1970.
jdlaw

Post by jdlaw »

mystery_train67 wrote: Out of all the 1970 shows I could have on film, or could have been at, I'd be hard pressed not to choose Vancouver. Name a show which is more solid? Most of the BMA released shows present a band who can't quite get it together 100%.... For once I think Manzarek pulls out a reliable quote when he says "we played our asses off in Vancouver"
Detroit. The band loses steam after 'Light My Fire', but that first cd is as good as the Doors got circa 1970, IMO.
mystery_train67

wha happened wrote:
mystery_train67 wrote:

Pretty much all of the 1970 shows (that we have heard) fall short. There are some that are better than others. Felt Forum 17th late is pretty good. Long Beach is good. I'd like to hear a complete, better quality, Chicago. Hawaii is one of the better ones. I still like Philly. But they all have their flaws. Seattle is terrible (well the band is pretty good that night). Pittsburgh bores the hell out of me, and Boston...well.
Maybe it's because I heard Vancouver so many times, but it's not one of those must listen shows for me or one I want to listen to all the way through. The songs with Albert King is the best part. If that jam session never happened, what would you think of it? LMF is pretty good, but I think it falls apart at the very end. "There You Sit" ruins it for me. The End is slightly better than the Detroit version.
I'd like to hear the complete Winterland shows. That version of Rock Me is probably the best from 1970.
I can't believe what I'm reading. The End only slightly better than Detroit? Detroit is by far the worst version of The End ever attempted. The End from Vancouver BANGS. It's a great version, and I think you need to have another listen to make sure you have the right tape.

There You Sit, I think it flows really well and the band had it very well timed as they progress the music...

Yes, Winterland would be great. But dude, try enjoy the circulating stuff before you go on the hunt for rare stuff.... there's a lot of great things out there hahahahaha Vancouver included IMO.

I'll have to give Philly another listen, but from memory I found it painful to hear yet another sucky version of Universal Mind, they can't get the tempo right, and Robby is sloppy as all hell...

You're right.... maybe we do need more 1970 tapes to circulate. Chicago is ok, but I'd only want a complete tape for the dope setlist.... otherwise it's a little boring... BOT, wow boring version.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Stop the car!
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

ok I got Vancouver for Xmas, just listening to it now. Am I mad or is Money sung to the Build Me a Woman tune?

(Never heard Vancouver before)
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

Silver Forest wrote:You are right. There's something special with Vancouver, the show. I too have played more often Vancouver than Felt Forum or even Detroit which in comparison, was already released by BMA. There's a few songs that were really greatly performed in Vancouver. Probably only Hawaii could top this one but sound quality removes some interest for a regular listen. If only Vince had taped Hawaii and Long Beach...
Vince didn't tape Hawaii, but Bruce Botnick did. I think that also counts. He IS an audio engineer.
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

I THINK the announcer on the Vancouver cd is Terry David Mulligan. Still does some local TV, though most of it may be about wineries in the province.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Lost Prophet wrote:
Silver Forest wrote:You are right. There's something special with Vancouver, the show. I too have played more often Vancouver than Felt Forum or even Detroit which in comparison, was already released by BMA. There's a few songs that were really greatly performed in Vancouver. Probably only Hawaii could top this one but sound quality removes some interest for a regular listen. If only Vince had taped Hawaii and Long Beach...
Vince didn't tape Hawaii, but Bruce Botnick did. I think that also counts. He IS an audio engineer.
Yes, I know. What I was trying to say was that Vince's equipment allowed for better quality recordings. I don't know exactly what equipment Bruce used but I assume it was inferior as compared with Vince's.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

MajorMojo wrote:I THINK the announcer on the Vancouver cd is Terry David Mulligan. Still does some local TV, though most of it may be about wineries in the province.
It is.
doorman

Post by doorman »

Yeah, I like Vancouver, as a single show it was better than any of the shows at the Felt Forum (IMO), love the audience clapping along to the medley during LMF, Jim seemed in a nice bluesy mood, at the Felt Forum he seemed to be controlled by the children in the audience.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

doorman wrote:Yeah, I like Vancouver, as a single show it was better than any of the shows at the Felt Forum (IMO), love the audience clapping along to the medley during LMF, Jim seemed in a nice bluesy mood, at the Felt Forum he seemed to be controlled by the children in the audience.
I dig the 1/17 shows from the Felt Forum. Vancouver is great, but not significantly better than those two FF shows. Still, I hear what you are saying, the fact that the band doesn't feel any constraints about being recorded for a live album certainly helps Vancouver.
zippy

Post by zippy »

I just got around to listening to this. Its a big step up from the recording that was circulating before
mystery_train67

41 years to the day. Just wanted to give a big heads up to LIVE IN VANCOUVER 6/6/70 and all my peeps out there enjoying this concert in the best possible sound quality. Sure, it's an oldie, and a long time circulator, but it's a goodie.

Best version of LMF. Blasting my ear drums riiiiiight abouuuut..... now!
Lost Prophet

Post by Lost Prophet »

It is a goodie. That version of "Who Do You Love" in Vancouver always blows my ears off, Doors with Albert King, nothing more to say.
cutis

Jim and the origins of the blues

Post by cutis »

Was this brought up before in this topic?

Jim blabs that blues is the only indigenous music to the U.S. But that's absolutely false. What about Jazz? And what about the "rock'n roll?" Wasn't it "invented" by blacks from the blues??