Teen Time USA

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

Teen Time USA

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Do you have anything to share about this April, 1968 event at the Anaheim Convention Center? There isn't much information available about it, and no mention of it in either "Pegasus Carousel" or the Einarson book.
Johnny Echols

Re: Teen Time USA

Post by Johnny Echols »

BallroomDays67 wrote:Do you have anything to share about this April, 1968 event at the Anaheim Convention Center? There isn't much information available about it, and no mention of it in either "Pegasus Carousel" or the Einarson book.

This is one gig that I have no personal memory of, If I were to see some photographs, maybe they might help clear the fog? Do you know if this is one of the shows we did with Canned Heat?
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Considering that it isn't mentioned in either book, it may be that Love cancelled that appearance. Canned Heat was also on the bill, but may have been scheduled to perform on a different date than Love. The event was supposed to have taken place April 6th through the 14th. According to the advertising poster, other bands that were scheduled to appear include Big Brother and the Holding Company, Country Joe and the Fish, Steppenwolf, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, James Cotton Blues Band, American Breed, Iron Butterfly, Hook, The Box Tops, Sweetwater, Electric Flag and The Sunshine Company. According to one website, "there was a teen battle-of-the-bands hosted by Fender and a teen beauty pageant." Unfortunately, no photos.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Johnny or Michael, Here's some more info about the event...

The concert program says "Tommy Walker presents Teen Time USA in cooperation with the Kiwanis Club of Greater Anaheim."

According to the program, Love was scheduled for two performances on April 6th, the first day of the event, along with Sweetwater and "extra added attraction" The Sunshine Company.

It also includes a page with a short bio of Love, and the photo from the back of "Forever Changes."
MichaelStuart-Ware

anaheim gig

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Here's why I think neither Johnny nor I remember the gig at The Anaheim Convention Center..because it was "uneventful."

It was so long ago that if something unusual occurred either before, during, or after the performance itself to make it memorable, then that one out-of-the-ordinary thing and perhaps a few other surrounding events make it something we remember. But sometimes things went off without a hitch...like nothing memorable happened.

We came, we played, we went home, we forgot about it.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

That certainly makes sense, as it was indeed a long time ago.

One thing that might have made it memorable is that it would have been a couple of the last Southern California shows for the original Love. Besides the 1969 reunion show, I believe the only others were at the Kaleidoscope in June. That said, they would have taken place prior to the East Coast tour, so there were several shows afterwards.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

The only thing I can think to help jog memory would be that the building was brand new in 1967, and fairly unusual. Probably the largest venue Love played while Michael was onboard - here's a picture of the inside, worth a shot :)

BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Cool! Thanks for posting that! :)
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Who's the band on stage? Don't recognise them! :twisted:
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Is it me or does it appear John is making some sort of adjustment/repair to his drum kit in the middle of a song? Great pic.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

It looks like he's working on the bass drum pedal. The metal shaft of the beater is real skinny (like maybe a quarter of an inch thick) and sometimes they break and the beater has to be replaced, or sometimes the beater comes loose and has to be repositioned and tightened back up. It just takes a sec.

Considering the framework of some the The Doors' material, could be John just decided to drop down and take care of the repair mid-song, perhaps during one of the quiet interludes, when people were less likely to notice a brief absence of drums.
Last edited by MichaelStuart-Ware on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks for that insiders tip. Could be in the mid section of 'When The Music's Over' or perhaps Jim is free versing something.

Follow up question: did Love ever have selections in their concerts where you could do something like that? I remember hearing that in Revelation everyone would leave the stage at different times during the song and return later when it was their turn to come back in.
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

Yes, "Revelation" was the song where each of us (for the most part) left the stage after taking a solo, but the drums were the last to go.