Ray's RMI Piano

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

kraken138

Ray's RMI Piano

Post by kraken138 »

I've seen the RMI piano in several pictures, on stage with the Doors. Yet, I've never seen a picture of Ray using it. Nor have I heard a recording of him playing it. Did they ever make use of it? I'm sure You set it up for Ray-Did he ever use the damn thing?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

vince

Post by vince »

The RMI Piano, actuall manufactured by a division of the Allen Organ Compnay, was given to The Doors as a promotional item. I had seen and heard it in one of the music stored in Hollywood. I liked the sound immensly. It was richer and a bit more varied than the Gibson Kalamazoo.

It was used in rehearsals for the Third album, It was specifically used in "Hello, I love You". That was the only time is was used for a recording though Ray did use it in other rehearsals.

Ray did not like it. I was a bit surprised and somewhat hurt. I had worked hard to get that for him. RMI was very much interested in having the Doors use it for the endorsement value. here it was, rady to go and Ray was adamant that it was not something he wanted.

One day he got vocal. He suggested that I get it out of the studio and that I should take it home with me.

I regret that I did not because in the end, when the Doors disbanded, Ray gave it to one of his brothers.

So endeth the RMI
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors