Da Capo: The Castle

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Da Capo: The Castle

Post by silentseason »

"The Castle"
-Running time: 3:00
-Recorded: September 30, 1966 RCA Studio B, Hollywood
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Micahel Stuart
-Harpsichord: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-The title is a reference to the band's legendary communal residence "The Castle", which wasn't an actual castle but a dilapidated mansion in the Los Feliz section of LA during the bands occupancy in 1966.
-Actual address of The Castle is 4320 Cedarhurst Circle.
-The first and second album covers were not shot at the Castle.
-Some of the lyrics are a reference to Stephanie Buffington, who was also the subject of the song "Stephanie Knows Who".
-Quotable: Michael on the recording of Da Capo:

"Several thoughts stand out. One thing is, it seemed at the time, as though Paul Rothchild was a "hands off" kind of a producer... almost a producer in name only. I don't remember him coming out from the booth to make a suggestion or making any comments via the mic from the booth to any members of the group, at all, not one time.
But, as on Forever Changes, Arthur had very little instrumental responsibility, so, during the laying down of the instrumental tracks, he spent most of the time in the booth, behind the glass with Paul and Dave Hassinger (and on "Revelation," Bruce Botnick), therefore it could be that Paul was making some important suggestions back there where we couldn't hear.
Every cut went off fairly well... more or less like clockwork, to my recollection, without astronomical numbers of takes on any one song."

-IMHO: This song to me is the hidden gem of Da Capo. Not the most revered or celebrated song in the band's catalogue, it is somehow a "connector" between the debut album and Forever Changes, encompassing that folk/mysterious/eclectic sound in a unique blend. The multiple false endings also give it a standout quality.
-Fun fact: Johnny relates one story from his time living at the Castle:

"The future mother of my daughter, and my now ex wife made the biggest impression on me obviously. Otherwise the encounter that stands out the most, was when I came home really tired, and badly in need of sleep, and found Grace Slick, in my bed. She was spending a few days at the Castle with the rest of the Airplane. And I walked into my room, and found her splayed out on my bed, sleeping like a baby. I assume she had gone to the wrong room. Ever the diplomat I informed her " you gotta split man!" Grace glared at me, jumped up and stormed out, leaving her clothes in my chair. I guess back in the day, she wasn't accustomed to being ordered out of a dudes bed. Though we had a good laugh about it later, that night she was not a happy Diva. "

-Lyrics:

Here's my baggage, hand me my staff
I'm leaving on a plane, a boat or raft

A my love, B I love, so hard to choose
If that were in my mind, it I would use

Goin' back to Mother
Leaving on the double
Think I'll go to Mexico
You set the scene