LA Forum/MSG Horn setup

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

LA Forum/MSG Horn setup

Post by silentseason »

Vince,

For the LA Forum Dec '68 show and MSG Jan '69 show were there any special accomodations that you had to make for the inclusion of the horn sections especially for these two gigs?
You set the scene
vince

Post by vince »

Hi:

There were really no "Special" arrangements. Naturally extra mic's. The Doors stage set-up remained the same no matter what. The extra musicians were placed as convenient to the space available, number of additions and relations with the group and music played.

Micing those guys were not difficult, low set-up and let them blow the tune into them.

It was always interesting to have guest players and the music resulting was fun for all and an enlightenment for the audience.

Thanks for the question.

VInce
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks so much for the answers and insights. They are privileges not to be taken for granted.

To follow up, I'm guessing based on your previous answer that setting up for the other various guests that would appear from time to time (Tony Glover, John Sebastian, Albert King, just to name a few) that they did not require much extra to get them set up to play.

I am however curious as to the few times that Robby would handle bass so Ray could move over to guitar in the midst of a show, what were the difficulties, if any, in this? Did Ray have his own guitar or borrow one from Robby? Was there always a bass brought to gigs in case the situation warranted it? Again many thanks for your time.
You set the scene
vince

Post by vince »

If, Ray ever played guitar, I did not see it. Robbie never played bass to my knowledge. If you refer to the events after 1972.02 - the last tour with the three guys together, I have no knowledge. I was booted out by Bill SIddons who cocked up a wild story about my quitting. Unfortunately the Guys did not follow through, they accepted his word fro it. Dave Harper from England came over and took my place. He could do it because he had worked with me on the 1968 tour of Europe. He learned well.

During my tenure with them there was not swapping around of anything by anyone. Perhaps in late night jam sessions. Ray played Piano and then adapted that style to the organ. As far as I know he never did play guitar.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors