Jim Morrison: Example

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

gtyper

Jim Morrison: Example

Post by gtyper »

I always read that people who knew Jim were upset with the way he has been portrayed. That underneath the mask of "The Lizard King" was a different human being - humble, funny, smart ... but then they never really provide any anecdotal evidence.

Vince, can you share a story that would highlight this side of Jim?
gtyper

Post by gtyper »

It's sad that people feel the need to trump up Jim Morrison rather than showing who the man really was. I think it serves as a long term detriment to the Door's legacy. I find his story to be quite tragic. A man who had the sole desire of bringing his poetic words to people but never knew that his words would reach millions, even 40 years after his passing. Ironic really, the aspect that drove him to oblivion was the part that is most revered today - his words.

In the US and Canada, the Doors are still pretty well known (or at least they were when I was growing up). They seem to be a coming of age music and still the music of rebellion.

It always seemed that everyone I knew went through a metamorphosis of being exposed and listening to bands in this order:
The Stones: 12-18 years old
Led Zeppelin: 14-18 years old
The Doors: 18-24 years old
Pink Floyd: 20-26 years old
The Beatles: 20-30 years old

So, as I grew up - The Doors seemed to fill that "I'm fresh in college and breaking away from my parents" role. I have no idea how kids of the "Lady Gaga"/"50 cent" generation view music.

At the end of the day, what is your fondest memory of the Doors? Was it seeing them that first time?
vince

Post by vince »

Fondest memory. Well that is a good question.

Getting thrown out of the dressing room the first night with them and then having Jim ask me back.

The Colgate, Boston, Filmore East tour in Spring of 1968.

The Hollywood Bowl performance.

When, after a horrible incident in Phoenix I told they guys I was resigning. Ray Manzareck, "We don't accept your resignation!".

Paul Rothschild, "Stay with them, Vince, they need you. You are the best."

Heard on stage, "Hiya Robby." "Hi Vince."

Heard on stage, Miami, 1969: "Jim. Don't blow it, these kids came for a show." Overheard later, "You made me do it, Vince, I just couldn't help myself."

Other than that, it was the conraderie I felt working with them on stage, in rehearsals, and recording. It was the generosity and consideration they always showed me. It was the respect for my opinion, and sometimes suthority (It is aqkward to tell your bosses what to do). It was 4 years of the Doors. excitement in concert, the fun times during a riot. Meeting a wonderful group of people who became Band Boys and who gave their all for the guys without ever expecting anything in return. Meeting such a profound, knowledgeable and talented person like Pual Rosthchild and I cannot omit the master of the control board, Bruce Botnick. That guy could coax more out of Sunset Sound Studio one equipment than 10 people can with the sophisticated equipment used today.

There is one other person who was mommy, nurse, secretary, and shoulder to cry on - Kathy. How and why we were blessed with that young lady I can never know but she was the glue that held that office together and made everyone feel good no matter what was happening.

Though Frank Lisciandro was not officially part of the group I must give him credit for teaching me about film making, editing and just being a nice guy and a very patient man. I very talented man who has, I hope, achieved the success he has worked for. I also think that Frank my have been one of the very few people to every get really close to Jim.

There you have it.

Vince
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Thanks for the recollections about Jim, Kathy etc, what are/were your thoughts/relationships with Ray, Robby and John?
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
vince

Relations with Ray, John and Robby

Post by vince »

Well my relations with the other Doors was an interesting one. It was always polite, curteous, warm, understanding and generous. I don't think I had a lot of serious conversations with these guys though, at times, we did discuss a bit of Music and on occasion philosophy. Remember that Ray had a very serious involvements with Dorothy - whom he later married, and was not as "Available" as John and Robby. Vietnam was on everyone's mind and we did exchange views on that subject. With Robby, there was more contact and conversations. Much of it was tech talk, sometimes planning for coming events, things he felt should be prepared for a rehearsal or recording session. Occasionally he would ask me what the next song should be during a performance. Remember that they never went on stage with a preset play-list. It was all very impulsive sort of mood of the crowd and Jim's temperament at the momet.

I viewed Robby as the sort of business leader the "The Boss" and when serious things came up it was Robby to whom I went.

With John - How does one describe John. My little Drummer Boy. He was precious, he was often telling a joke, he often made suggestions about his equipment, asked about tech things. We had some interesting covernsations about music and even, once in a while, about pipe organs.

My relationship with the guys was not social, close. It was casual, friendly. On stage I was the boss - that was established early on. It stayed that way for my entire career with them. It worked well, I think. They knew that I was dedicated to getting the best show, the least tech problems, running the Anti-Riot Squad. They understood that, to that end, I set the stage to my liking and ran it with rigid rules I think they appreciated that I had a network of helpers (Band Boys) who were not free-loaders, autograph hounds and essentially cost them little more than a good dinner and sometimes a bus ticket home.

My relationship with the other guys was not social. We did not do things or go places together. It was one of Employer and Employee.

One thing that is certain even these days, they were wonderful people to work for and to work with. I must say that they did anything and everything to make my job easier. They were often generous when it came to borthdays and Christmas. I had, in my opinion, a wonderful relationship with them. I liked them all. I respected their musical background, training and professionalism. Never demanding and always considerate. Had they reconstituted in the former Doors Format, I would have been first in line to work with them again. It was a wonderful four years.

I will add this - No amount of money could compensate for the agony of a tour. Long hours, fast foods mostly, stress over what might happen, though it rarely did, worry about riots and kids trying to steal equipment. the physical stress of long drives, hassels through airports and sometimes confrontations with unions, hall managers and little groups who though they should be the headliners. Putting them in place was often comic relief. The reward for that work - sure, I was, for that time, well paid. But money could not compensate for the effort involved. What kept me going - The Doors. What was my monthly pay scale - 2 or 3 performances. (That went well).

I hope this provide some answer. Sorry I can not be more definitive.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Thanks for your reply. =)

I have to laugh at little groups thinking they should headline over The Doors. Hilarious.

vince

Post by vince »

I will tell you a good one. In 1968 we went to Hawai to play at the HIC. The second group was a most talented group of guys under the flag of "The Silver Bicycle". It was strange to note that one of these guys looked like a body builder - sort of strange mix with a very talented musician. They came in with their equipment and did a sound check and all.

The rules of the game were that we set up everything as it would be during the show. Then we moved Ray's organ/bass to the end of the amp line. That was the only change we needed to make when the show was to come on.

The Bicycle boys had to set up in front and, at the end of their set - conprised of their original music - they would strip the equipment off stage.

I was informed by the very buff guitarist that another group was coming to rehearse. This group had won a battle of the bands and was then given the "Privelage" of being the walk-in band. Tha measn that when the doors opened and the crowd came flooding in these guys played until the official programs start time.

Ok, so these little twerps won the game and had the gig. They would set up in front of the Bicycle. But the responce to that was, "No, they are using our equipment. We were told that if we (Bicycle) were chosen to play, the twerps would use our equipment because theirs was so bad. (And with this bad equipment they won a band competition???)

I suppose at the point one might watch the color of red rise up my neck to my face, my temper rising appropriately with it.

I contemplated for a moment or two and then told the boys (they had all gathered around to tell this tale of woe) to get the equipment off stage. NOW!!!!

One of the perks of being a road manager of a Very Famouns Groups was that no one could argue with you. My every whim was their command.

Upset over the situation was what they were. Totally dejected was what they became - Until.... I told them to use the Doors amps. The BIG ones.

I can telly ou that changed the mood in short order. They rehearsed and did they have fun. POWER, BABY!!! Boy does that bring on excitement.

When they were through we had a big chat about music and their school and prospects and all. WE sent out for some grumbles and had a stage party while waiting for the dilitantes to arrive.

Eventually they did come and were told about the facts of life (Low, that is). SO they dragged the equipment on stage and did their pathetic little copy-cat routine. I was of a mind to have them remove everything and reset before the show but the equipment was of good quality, heavy and in good condition. I thought better of it.

The show did go on and they did their "thing". At the right time the Boys also had their moment of glory and pulled it off in spades. I can tell you that was one very happy and very excited bunch of people. The audience loved it.

As an aside - those guys showed us Oahu lke the ordinary person never sees it. And the post mortem - their Drummer got caught with the devils weed and that was the end of the group.

It is not just drink and the Devel that did for the rest.

The moral to this story - Don't get angry, get even. Boy it was wonderful being the R.M. for a big, important group.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

haha, thanks for sharing that story. =)