Pipe organs

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Silver Forest

Pipe organs

Post by Silver Forest »

Hi Vince,
don't know if you still visit us, ocasionally.
Today I remember you, while visiting to Convento de Mafra and seeing the 6 impressive pipe organs and 2 carillons, composed of 92 bells.
Some photos and couple of links
This is one of six =)
I heard all of them are still working but are played not so often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafra_National_Palace

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=713106

There's a huge amount of pipe organs in Portugal:
http://www.meloteca.com/organs-portugal.htm

=)
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

beautiful, SF!! Great building too. Is it near you?

Here is an organ that is used often...the famous Kotzschmar Organ in Portland, Maine's Merrill Auditorium. 6,800 pipes.

Not as impressive but still pretty amazing in concert, and beautiful to see. I saw the Lon Chaney silent classic "Phantom of the Opera" accompanied by this organ (on Halloween)....fun stuff!
You get an idea of the size with those distant shots and that seemingly small organ console in the foreground of the wall of pipes. It rocks the joint when going full tilt!!
:mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJhYbNlC0M

:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

jamestkirk wrote:beautiful, SF!! Great building too. Is it near you?

Here is an organ that is used often...the famous Kotzschmar Organ in Portland, Maine's Merrill Auditorium. 6,800 pipes.

Not as impressive but still pretty amazing in concert, and beautiful to see. I saw the Lon Chaney silent classic "Phantom of the Opera" accompanied by this organ (on Halloween)....fun stuff!
You get an idea of the size with those distant shots and that seemingly small organ console in the foreground of the wall of pipes. It rocks the joint when going full tilt!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVJhYbNlC0M

:wink:
This Portland Maine organ is wonderful too. I fully enjoyed the video =) Thanks!

These organs are complex instruments and simultaneously wonderful impressive pieces of Art. The sound always seems to transport me to Renascence times. I always admired churches and although not being regular I have to say that I was given a catholic formation by my fathers. The church I attended in my early years had a modest organ but the guy that was playing was (for me) gifted and it was really delightful to listen.

I always try to go to churches in the places I visit. I was already lucky enough to visit several cathedrals althoug many I still miss. My list already includes: Notre Dame in Paris, Catedral Metropolitana in Brasília, the Toulouse Cathedral, Fatima in Portugal =)

There are loads of churches in Portugal. Loads. Impressive monuments of faith. It's hard to criticize this devotion even considering the enormous spending of so human efforts and country resources. The answer is Faith. What keeps us alive and struggling. Faith in the form of religion, either already formatted and being transmited to us while children or either in personal inner beliefs we develop all through our lives. Faith fills the empty spaces and gives us hope. Faith moves the world.

Convento of Mafra is an impressive, huge monastery. Its just 30Km away from my home. It was build with the immense resources brought to Portugal in the XVIII century after the discovery of gold (huge amounts) in Brazil, then our colony. Today many portuguese say that most of this resources were spent in these religion monuments or in expensive luxury goods bought in other european countries (Flandres and Italy, mainly). I guess it was always our problem: our elites were always mainly stupid and futile people. Quite rarely the immense resources from our colonies were invested in mainland to develop a competent economy. :roll:

Illustrating this, our great poet, Fernando Pessoa wrote about our great historical figure, Prince Henry (named Infante, a great man, a visionary that initiated our XV centuries sea discoveries):

THE INFANTE

God wills, the man dreams, and the work is born.
God did that the earth should be all one,
That what the sea might join be now not torn.
He hallowed you. Foam-unveiling, you went.

And the white orle from isle to continent lit
Up, running on and on to the world's end,
And suddenly Earth was seen total, out
From the profound azure arising, round.

Who hallowed you created you Portuguese.
To the sea and to us you were His call.
The Sea grew whole, the Empire shook to pieces.
Lord, what lacks is to make whole Portugal!
Last edited by Silver Forest on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Henry the Navigator! :mrgreen: Nice info, SF.

:D
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I just saw that sculpture today online, SF! Beautiful.

-Aldous Huxley
vince

Post by vince »

I wish I knew how to put photos on the Forum. We have installed 6 organs here, each one rather large. The last project, still underway, is the restoration of an 1891 Mason & Risch Chapel model Harmonium. It was in horrible condition when we started. Now it looks almost new - as evidenced by the contrast in wood color of the replacement pieces we had to make as a result of mice eating the suger-pine.

The wonder of the organ is divided into two schools, the Baroque and the Symphonic - primarily French composers. The former is basically known for the qworks by Bach. the latter was initiated by Ceasare Franck, followed by C. Marie Widor then Louis Vierne. There is a scattering of other composers paralleling Widor and Vierne and they produced some magnificent music, profound, light, entertaining and majestic depending on the piece and composer.

I am glad to see that there remains some interest in the most classical of the classic music. The big deal with classic music - just listent o it. Ask nothing. The content will make itself well known if you give it a chance.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

vince wrote:I wish I knew how to put photos on the Forum. We have installed 6 organs here, each one rather large. The last project, still underway, is the restoration of an 1891 Mason & Risch Chapel model Harmonium. It was in horrible condition when we started. Now it looks almost new - as evidenced by the contrast in wood color of the replacement pieces we had to make as a result of mice eating the suger-pine.

The wonder of the organ is divided into two schools, the Baroque and the Symphonic - primarily French composers. The former is basically known for the qworks by Bach. the latter was initiated by Ceasare Franck, followed by C. Marie Widor then Louis Vierne. There is a scattering of other composers paralleling Widor and Vierne and they produced some magnificent music, profound, light, entertaining and majestic depending on the piece and composer.

I am glad to see that there remains some interest in the most classical of the classic music. The big deal with classic music - just listent o it. Ask nothing. The content will make itself well known if you give it a chance.
Hi Vince, it's great to have you here back in this forum :D

I think we all would love to see your work!
From your description these organs must be something great and a huge labour of yours.

To post, I think you can go to some photo hosting places on the net and create a free account to host them and having the possibility of generatinf links after uploading. I create my own a few years ago in imageshack

http://imageshack.us/

which works very well nd it's absolutely free. The upload is simple. You can upload it re-sizing photos to a convenient size to post in a web-forum. You can create and organize your albums. I guess there are other services (picasa or photobucket for instance) that you can also use but I'm not familiar to these ones.

Talking about organs, here's another I photographed in the last month when I spent some weeks in Toulouse, France. It's was taken in a big church called Saint-Sernin: