Did you ever see Love/Arther Lee live?

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

StrangeNightOfStone

Did you ever see Love/Arther Lee live?

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

I caught Arthur live twice in the early 1990s, some of my pictures are in old issues of the Love zine 'The Castle'. I think back then it wasn't really 'Love', but was really a solo Arthur Lee with a backing band. The backing band was called 'Das Damen', or something like that.

Ray Manzarek & Michael mcClure were on the same bill, and Im pretty sure it's the first time since 1966 since Ray and Arthur were on the same bill- yet they gave each other the cold shoulder! Hardly old friends. Very sad,
Arthur Lee was one of the most powerful performers I've ever seen- he had energy, and such power.

It depresses me when i meet people who say they love music of the 60s- yet have never heard of Love.

Had Arthur not declined the invitation for Love to perform at the Montery Pop Festival, EVERYONE would know Arthur's name
Last edited by StrangeNightOfStone on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
StrangeNightOfStone

Re: Did you ever see Love/Arther Lee live?

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

Love may very well be the most underrated band of the 1960s..
Luckily some rockers, such as Robert Plant were hugely influenced by Love
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
fpicks

Post by fpicks »

Saw him and shook his hand in 2004. It was a double bill with the Zombies. Great show
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I never had the pleasure....dammit!

:cry:

But you all make it seem like I did....relate any tidbits you can, please! And as I have said, a friend in LA saw them from the start at Bido Lito's and throughout Arthur's career.

Half of my boots (and out in the world...though you may not know it!) were recorded by him!

Hey Ed...how many times did you see Arthur?
I know you chatted with Arthur a bit too.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley