Isle of Wight performance by the Doors, 1970

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

cutis

Isle of Wight performance by the Doors, 1970

Post by cutis »

Vince,

You've been doing great in sharing your memories with us. Let's talk about Isle of Wight.

Just about the entire Doors set was filmed by Leonard Murray's film crew. The Doors came on early in the AM and Jim had said in later interviews, post Isle of Wight, that the band was on a super long flight and had very little time to adjust to the time change. Hence, Jim's performance was not great and he admits that. However, when you see the footage, Jim does not appear to be drunk. He appears more, if anything, to be somewhat lethargic. He doesn't move much at all. But he does sing/scream throughout the set. When you see the film footage, Jim alternates between closing his eyes to watching Robby on guitar.

What was your impression of Jim and the band during this show? In another interview of Jim that was filmed by a TV crew in California prior to the band leaving for the Isle of Wight, Jim says he was hoping to go on a European tour in the Fall of '70. But unfortunately, the judge in the court trial back in Miami forbade the band from participating in a European tour, hence right after the Isle of Wight show was over, the band had to fly back to the U.S.

It seems Jim would have been enthusiastic about touring Europe in the Fall of 1970 but politics and the law conspired against him. Do you think having watched his performance at the Isle of Wight, could Jim have given a spirited performance for any European tour in the Fall of '70?? Or was Jim just too wasted and burned out by that time and even if the band had been given the chance to tour Europe in the Fall of '70, Jim would have not been able to perform anyway since he was too far gone.....

Share your thoughts?
vince

Isle of Wright

Post by vince »

When we went to England in 1970 we were prepared for a tour. France, Germany, Italy, England and other locations were all on the tour.

The Wright festival was well publicised, well organised and well run. There really was 500,000 people there by actual tacket sales. there were more - those who came in from various coastal areas and over the "Downs" (See the Hobbit) were not included in that count.
There was, in attance at the festical just about every important group in the world. It was a big show for the Boys because they would be compared, head to head, with the hottest and best groups going at that time.
It was in this setting that they hoped to do a really good show. You visual description from the film is good. You asked for my impression. If you were to stik a broom handle in the ground and hang a wet towel on it I would suggest you have the posture and activity that Jim presented to the crowd. Any movement would have been engendered by a passing tornado. The weather at the festival was calm and sunny.

I believe we arrived at the Festival in the very late morning after an extremely early start from Lunun. We had a long ride downt he highway and then a ferry ride to the island and another drive to the Downs. We played in the afternoon.

As far as long trip etc. Every group from the USA had a long trip. We had a nights sleepover in London so the fatigue thing was not all that important. Jim, of course, would find any excuse to justify his behavior. For the public that might be a persuasive arguement in his favor. For the Doors it was just more of Jims public rationalization for his behavior.

It was Follwoing this performance that John, when coming dorn the steps at the rear of stage right made his first declaration ' I will never play in public with that asshole again. Every group in the world is here and that asshole made us look like fools".

That was the moment that the Doors made their last public appearance. UNTIL, Jim - the guy who supposedly did not want to perform (Next Joke) - made an impassioned plea to give him one last flashing chance at bliss - December of 1970.

The tour was abruptly cancelled by being recalled to USA for the trial. They arrived in LA and Jim went to Miami only to have the trial postponed - once again.

After the Wright festival debacle, it is conjecture whether or not John would have been willing to further risk another public humiliation by continuing the tour. At the time John made his statement the tour was still on. It was not until we got back to London that we got the news from the office - Come home. Remember there were no cel phones in those days.

Well, I know I disagree with some data you mentioned but that is how I remember it. One can hardly fail to remember the anguish a frustration of that performance and John's seething anger when he left the stage. If I was an artist I could draw you a detailed picture of that moment.

I hope you are satisfied with this information. Thanks for writing, Curtis. :D
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
cutis

Re: Isle of Wright

Post by cutis »

Thanks again for sharing your recollection of that concert experience. I just can't get over how damaging Jim's behavior became towards the band in '69 and '70. But to think he would have jeopardized the band's performing abilities on purpose is inexusable, alcohol or no alcohol.

I feel for John and the rest of the boys. Jim became a nightmare for the Doors and the tragedy of it still to this day, as a Doors fan, upsets me.

vince wrote:When we went to England in 1970 we were prepared for a tour. France, Germany, Italy, England and other locations were all on the tour.

The Wright festival was well publicised, well organised and well run. There really was 500,000 people there by actual tacket sales. there were more - those who came in from various coastal areas and over the "Downs" (See the Hobbit) were not included in that count.
There was, in attance at the festical just about every important group in the world. It was a big show for the Boys because they would be compared, head to head, with the hottest and best groups going at that time.
It was in this setting that they hoped to do a really good show. You visual description from the film is good. You asked for my impression. If you were to stik a broom handle in the ground and hang a wet towel on it I would suggest you have the posture and activity that Jim presented to the crowd. Any movement would have been engendered by a passing tornado. The weather at the festival was calm and sunny.

I believe we arrived at the Festival in the very late morning after an extremely early start from Lunun. We had a long ride downt he highway and then a ferry ride to the island and another drive to the Downs. We played in the afternoon.

As far as long trip etc. Every group from the USA had a long trip. We had a nights sleepover in London so the fatigue thing was not all that important. Jim, of course, would find any excuse to justify his behavior. For the public that might be a persuasive arguement in his favor. For the Doors it was just more of Jims public rationalization for his behavior.

It was Follwoing this performance that John, when coming dorn the steps at the rear of stage right made his first declaration ' I will never play in public with that nice guy again. Every group in the world is here and that nice guy made us look like fools".

That was the moment that the Doors made their last public appearance. UNTIL, Jim - the guy who supposedly did not want to perform (Next Joke) - made an impassioned plea to give him one last flashing chance at bliss - December of 1970.

The tour was abruptly cancelled by being recalled to USA for the trial. They arrived in LA and Jim went to Miami only to have the trial postponed - once again.

After the Wright festival debacle, it is conjecture whether or not John would have been willing to further risk another public humiliation by continuing the tour. At the time John made his statement the tour was still on. It was not until we got back to London that we got the news from the office - Come home. Remember there were no cel phones in those days.

Well, I know I disagree with some data you mentioned but that is how I remember it. One can hardly fail to remember the anguish a frustration of that performance and John's seething anger when he left the stage. If I was an artist I could draw you a detailed picture of that moment.

I hope you are satisfied with this information. Thanks for writing, Curtis. :D