Forever Changes: Live And Let Live

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Forever Changes: Live And Let Live

Post by silentseason »

"Live And Let Live"
-Running time: 5:24
-Recorded: August 8, 1967 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Michael Stuart
-Arthur stated that his mother (a schoolteacher) was the inspiration for the title of this song. He would carry the lyric theme of this song onto his next album, in the song 'Singing Cowboy'.
-The song was tried out during the 'Da Capo' sessions but the jazz elements (flute/sax/harpsichord) just could not meld with the song so it was placed on the backburner and then revived for this album. Johnny was given the freedom to really solo during the song and does not disappoint, although he stated that he is still not totally satisfied with his solo.
-Lyrically another great composition from Arthur. It is essentially a protest song yet it never comes across as dated or preachy, and is sublimely strange as well.
-Quotable: Michael gives his experiences touring, first with LoVE and then his general feelings of life on the road:

"With Love, we brought and set up our own equipment for all our "in town" (L.A.) performances, as well, and of course dealt with any equipment-failure issues ourselves. On the road, we usually took our own guitars but (to the best of my recollection) amps and drums were usually provided by the concert promoter.....

I actually kind of liked the hotels and the food and the travel... and besides, it goes with the territory if you're a recording artist. It's fun, man! It's like a vacation but you get to play music. Nothing wrong with that.

If you're a musician and you don't like the travel (and all that's associated with it), it's like saying you don't mind having a job, it's just you don't like having to get up early and leave home.

And when you're in your twenties especially, touring is a piece of cake. Even when you're older...heck man, I saw Robin Trower recently. He's in his late-sixties and he's still rockin on the road, no problem.

Audiences were cool, not fanatical and I never ran across any unethical promoters. They all seemed like nice people who were just so delightfully surprised when we actually showed up."

-IMHO: Maybe more than any other on the album this song sold me on Forever Changes, and this was after I had listened to it four or five times. Maybe it is the lyrical genuis of the bluebird/pistol stanza, or Johnny's kind of ragged but awesome solo at the mid section and ending, but I finally 'got' what this album was about via this song.
-Fun fact: There is not a glut of books or video available regarding the group, but of what is available here are the best. For books, "Forever Changes: Arthur Lee and the book of LoVE" by John Einarson is the most comprehensive about Arthur and the different incarnations of the group, and is presented with a balanced point of view. Also a must is the only offering penned by a member of the group, Michael Stuart-Ware's "Behind The Scenes on the Pegasus Carousel with the Legendary Rock Group LoVE" which gives his viewpoint during his membership in the group. For video the "LoVE Story" DVD tells the group's story up until the dissolution of the original group through interviews interspliced with the few images that captured the group in its prime. It is also a must have.

Lyrics:

Oh, the snot has caked against my pants
It has turned into crystal
There's a bluebird sitting on a branch
I guess I'll take my pistol
I've got it in my hand
Because he's on my land
And so the story ended
Do you know it oh so well
What should you need I'll tell you
The end-end-end-end-end-end-end-end
And...

Yes I've seen you sitting on the couch
I recognize your artillery
I have seen you many times before
Once when I was an Indian
And I was on my land
Why can't you understand

Served my time
Served it well
You made my soul
A cell

Write the rules
In the sky
But ask your leaders
Why Why
Last edited by silentseason on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Michael's second revised edition of "Pegasus..." is now looking to be released at Amazon on Oct 11, 2011.

Let's hope!!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley