Michael: Post "Forever Changes" rehearsals?

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

Michael: Post "Forever Changes" rehearsals?

Post by BallroomDays67 »

In the Einarson book, when you were asked about "Your Mind and We Belong Together”, you recalled thinking that “Finally, we’re recording some cooking music.” Johnny mentioned that around that time, Love also worked on songs that were eventually recorded with other musicians. A couple of those were “Gather ‘Round” and "Your Friend and Mine - Neil's Song." How did you feel about those songs in comparison to “Your Mind and We”? Do you have any thoughts about how those songs were coming together compared to the versions that were eventually released?

Also, would you mind checking out the "Grande Ballroom" thread? Thanks!
MichaelStuart-Ware

to ballroomdays re:cookin' music

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Actually I was thinking more of "Laughing Stock" as the cooker. I don't remember working on "Gather Round" or "Neil's Song," and to be honest I never listened to the music Arthur recorded after "Forever Changes", oh yeah, save for one night at a couple of girls apartment, Arthur dropped by with one of his new albums and played the cut, "Slick Dick" which he said was about Richard Nixon. Can't say as I cared for it too much. Kinda silly it was, but he liked it a lot.

I'll look for grande ballroom thread
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Michael,

To follow up on this, I infer that after recording the "Your Mind" single the emphasis of the band was on live dates. Do you recall during this time (spring/early summer '68) if there was ever a specific time set in the future where you all had an idea about regrouping in the studio to cut what would have been the next album?
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I think we were all temporarily energized and encouraged by the results we got on the "Your Mind..." session and maybe collectively we were even subconsciously inventing an unrealistically optimistic future for ourselves, wherein we toured and added more songs to make a new album and you know..rebirthed our mojo... but I think also (considering the lack of communication we had known in the previous months) deep down, each of us knew that it was just as likely we were nearing the end.