Morrison Hotel Recording Sessions

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Morrison Hotel Recording Sessions

Post by Stuart »

Hi Vince, I was wondering if you could please share your detailed Insights and views on the recording sessions for the Morrison Hotel Album?.

I Love this album and consider my fave tracks on it "Roadhouse Blues" , "Peace Frog", "Queen of the Highway".

How was the bands relationship during this period for recording this album?.
vince

Morrison Hotel

Post by vince »

Stuart:You are a frequent visitor and apparently a nice guy. I hate to say this but along with the Highway movie, I think both Hotel and Woman are the poorest examples of what the Doors sounded like both in lyrics and the accompanyment. I agree that this is entirely subjective, personal and you are not penalized for not agreeing with me - (as fantasy Manager, I won't fine you or dismiss you from the group)

The group was OK in their realtions. Jim was his usual self, unrelaible and unscheduled. His voice was starting to go as a result and Paul did no good when he suggested that jim had nodules growing on his vocal chords. Just have them cut off.

I don't think Paul could have shocked Jim more if he had suggested that something else, much lower down, be removed.

When the going was good all four of the members got along. But Jim always placed himself outside the group. They often all arrived it the same time. Jim would be either early, giving me some precious moments to chat with him, or he would be late. if he came at all. That caused problems. He sort of made himself the outsider. Remember, this is the guy who was close friends to Ray and had, for a time, lived with Ray and his future wife, Dorothy. Yet he did not hand around with Ray as far as I know. Even in meetings, it was Jim on the one hand and the 3 others somewhere else.

I don't know why this was. In the early days Jim and Ray were very close. When I came in 1967, they were "close" when at the location involved in business but not before or after.

There was an exception and that was Mexico where the did sort of stick together. We all enjoyed a field trip to visit the Pyrimids that had been discovered and cleared of growth. Everyone was there, Including Frank Lisciandro who did his usual magic with his camera. aWe also visited a museom that displayed mugh of the antiquities for Ancient Mexico. I think O dan say that everyone had a great time and enjoyed the association, free of restraint and complications imposed by a performance.

Relationships - They wanted Jim as their singer. make no mistake about that. They did not want the erratic, chaotic and destructive behavior. They appreciated his efforts with lyrics and all of them worked in a good atmosphere to bring music to the words.

What Jim did on his own time was his business. This applied to all of them. But they did want him to respect the time and cost of recording sessions, and the personal dedication to advancing the productivity of the GROUP by attending rehearsals. on time and on schedule.

Aside from the bad behavior in Performances, this was the other source of irritation, friction, discord that existed between the Three and Jim.

I hope I have answered your question with a perception clouded by Imbibing in any sobstances in use in the 60's.

Thnks for your questions Stuart.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Thanks For Your response Vince, if i do not ask questions i may never find out! interesting stuff on here from your perspective.