The Doors App

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

lovemygirl
Banned

The Doors App

Post by lovemygirl »

Hi:

The Doors are working with Rhino and Jac Holzman on a truly cutting-edge App that will survey the Doors’ entire history in rich and fascinating detail and with surprising new features. This impressive, in-depth App will be released in the Fall of 2012.

Our App is about everything Doors, including their intense relationship with the fans.

And we are asking you to join in.

We'd love to see your Doors memorabilia, such as ticket stubs, handbills, posters, singles sleeves from overseas, and especially photographs taken at concerts and backstage. We'll make sure that each submission is given serious consideration.

Those who have material chosen will receive a free copy of the App, plus a credit mention, as an acknowledgement and "Thank You" from The Doors. Before including your submission, we will clear it with you first.

So, comb through your collections and email scans or photos of your items to TheDoorsApp@gmail.com. All submissions are due by January 15, 2012!

With appreciation,

Ray, John, Robby, Jac, Bruce, Jeff and the entire Doors App team

....this just in from the doors camp...sounds like a re-run to me... :lol:
Buda

Post by Buda »

In the hope of helping to even promote a decently updated On the Road to be issued as well? :lol:
"Because when the crowds finally begin to accept you
you become the suspect of your artistry" Buk
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

So now this app will be released separately from the 5 cd LAW set? Does this mean the 5 cd set is really not getting released? Is it going to be for the iphone/ ipad?

If your material is used, you will get a "free" copy, so they plan on charging for this app? Why can't it be free? It's not like the DMC is hurting for funds. For those of you with an iphone, check out the official Hendrix app, it is FREE and pretty fricken cool. I have a feeling the Doors app will be a soap box for Jeff to promote all the cool and hip ideas he has.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

This app sounds a lot like a proposal I wrote for The Doors official website over two years ago. It was based in part on the official Led Zeppelin site where they host an online database and have fans submit all sorts of content. I guess they're applying that fan-supported database idea to a paid app instead. That's too bad. It would have worked better as a feature of the official site where they could reach a lot more people and find more fans willing to submit content like concert reviews, unseen photos, memorabilia, etc. And this isn't the kind of thing you want to have a deadline for. The whole idea behind having a continuously updated database is that there is no deadline. Fans can submit content all the time and see it updated regularly. But I guess there's no way to squeeze another nickel out of people if you just post it online for free like Zeppelin and other bands do.

Jampol is working on this new app and telling people CDs will be gone in 4 years, but all The Doors websites still run on Adobe Flash which isn't being developed for mobile devices anymore and can't be viewed on an iPhone or an iPad. I don't get it. The original plan I was involved in was to completely revamp both The Doors and BMA sites, and the webmaster and I had some great ideas, but I guess the cash fell through or they chose to spend it on something else and the sites were never updated. Maybe they switched everything over to this app idea instead.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Cool news? is this the same App due to include at the L.a.woman 5 cd box? if its like that, can we expect as a date release of the box Fall 2012?

btw len, jeff posted this a long time ago:

Sadly, DVD-A and SACD seem to be dead as viable formats for new releases.

As you may know, I am a big fan of both. I was the music industry consultant to Dolby® Labs for several years on DVD-A. And I own (and enjoy immensely) what is arguably the greatest SACD player ever made, the EMM Labs Meitner CDSD-SE and DAC2-SE combo.

But, sadly, you and I are in the (overwhelming) minority - and my GUESS is that, as you said, Blu-Ray will develop as the hi-rez audio format of choice, but, we will see. My track record as accurate prognosticator of software trends is not stellar.
SACD was dead and now is alive!
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I think the original plan was to release the app separately from the 5-CD set, and to also include the app content on one of the CDs. That way, you could buy it twice...once for your PC, and once for your iPad, iPod or iPhone. The impression I got was that they subsequently found enough "L.A. Woman" material to fit onto 5-CDs, and so there was no longer room for the app content.

I assume that the Doors app will contain a lot more content than the Hendrix app, and enough to justify charging for it.
rokritr

Post by rokritr »

BallroomDays67 wrote:I assume that the Doors app will contain a lot more content than the Hendrix app, and enough to justify charging for it.
As long as you all donate the content for free, while they profit from your contributions. Oops, forgot, you DO get a free app. :D
Buda

Post by Buda »

I guess the app. they considered for the LAW box is different (concentrated solely for the LAW period) than the one they are currently up to (whole period '67-'71). But I completely agree with you Len, it is quite disturbing (again) the way they handle this opportunity to pull together things.
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

rokritr wrote:
BallroomDays67 wrote:I assume that the Doors app will contain a lot more content than the Hendrix app, and enough to justify charging for it.
As long as you all donate the content for free, while they profit from your contributions. Oops, forgot, you DO get a free app. :D
Yeah, it's such an awesome deal..... it's funny how they ALWAYS reach out to the hardcore fans/collectors whenever they're in need to help make them a bit of extra $$$$ .... but other than that we seem to be largely ostracized, labeled by management as self-serving whiners and bootleggers.

Jampol even compared the hardcore community to TERRORISTS at one point during the Matrix fiasco.... nice guy.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

More bridges to burn...

It seems like his motto as doors manager has been
"May the bridges I burn light the way."

over and over... :roll:
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

:lol:
Very good!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
door71

Post by door71 »

rokritr wrote:
Why don't they release everything that they have already and use the profits from the 45 vinyl set and obtain some new shows.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

wha happened wrote:So now this app will be released separately from the 5 cd LAW set? Does this mean the 5 cd set is really not getting released?
Yes.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Or The Doors could offer the app as a free marketing tool like Experience Hendrix did. Janie Hendrix is always out looking to make a buck, but even EH offered the Hendrix app for free.
Buda

Post by Buda »

hardrockcafe wrote:
wha happened wrote:So now this app will be released separately from the 5 cd LAW set? Does this mean the 5 cd set is really not getting released?
Yes.

Pathetic fuckin shit. Putting it on Rhino is so obviously bs. Anyway, the material comes but any kind of deserved box with book and unpublished photos not. Why writing so many paragraphs for that?!
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

we can ask it to Dr. Rhino
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

Wow. :?

Getting through graduate school and solving 10 move chess problems was easier than deciphering that.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, and please bear in mind I'm far from a genius :

Since I'm one of the morons who preordered it (egg on my face ) I now, instead of a 5 cd set which was originally supposed to be out early next year and included a 100 or so page booklet with new pics etc., will be getting a combination of a 2 cd set, a 3 cd set, no booklet, and maybe some other goodies since I was one of the 300 saps who preordered it ? And on top of this, no definite release dates ?

I'm utterly speechless.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

It's the Doors.

Don't you guys ever learn your lesson?
Reality is a temporary illusion brought on by the absence of beer.
Buda

Post by Buda »

In Hungary there is an expression for such cases that goes, "hope dies last."